KindEbook Price Query (old version)

TheSaint

UPDATED - see first post.

(v2.0)

Added an option to make selected ebooks a favorite, with an entry in the ISBN column and sortable.
Option to store and view up to the last five Query results, has now been changed to user specified, from 0 to 99 slots.
The STOP facility for Query, can now be made optional.
Checkbox added, to allow a Query just for those marked as favorites.

NOTES - While the ideas have certainly slowed down, I still seem to get them popping into my head out of nowhere.

One thing that was in the back of my mind, and which I had dismissed as not really necessary, was the idea of being able to start a Full Query at a specific ebook, ignoring those earlier on the list. So I guess it was only natural, that a variation of that, when I thought of the Favorites option, should come to mind. I have favorites on my list that I keep a closer watch on, so I guess it was only a matter of time, before a better method of keeping specific tabs on them, came to mind.

Disabling the STOP option was something I previously mentioned as a possible update, to no doubt please a few.

As was the idea of increasing the number of save slots for Query results.

Another update I tried to add, is now a question in the GUI Help section of the forum.

Basically, I wanted to add full right-click ability for the List and context menu.

In fact, I hung off a while with this latest upload, just in case a solution came to hand fairly quickly.

It will now have to wait for another update ... if indeed a suitable solution does surface.

Yesterday, I did also play around with one of my DropBox enabled programs, to see if it would accept URLs, but alas it did not ... except for links to images, which when checked, pointed to a bmp file in the local temp Internet folder on my PC. When investigated, the temp images were no longer in existence, so obviously Firefox cleans up after itself pretty quickly.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

I have noticed the issue regarding selected entry during Query, which became very obvious when using favorites. Just a matter of relocating a few lines up a few lines. Not a bug though, just a visual thing. I've adjusted my code already, so I will upload after I get ideas for the next update, and code them.

Somehow, I had managed to not notice the incorrect sequence of lines in the Query code.

What currently happens, is that an entry is checked and returns an update (if a price change) before the entry is actually visually selected. It is a visual error only, and the entries are being processed correctly, regardless.

P.S. Other than waiting for a successful resolution to >my question about right-click in GUI Help section, the only other idea I currently have for an update (other than the Dropbox one, if I figure that problem out too), is an idea about somehow getting the ebook Preview to work ... where you can (are allowed to) read the first few pages of an ebook. Not a must have feature by any tick of the tock, but something that might be cool to have.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Struggling to get ideas for the next update, it suddenly occurred to me, that I could set it up for multiple users, so I'm part way through coding that. Comments input is now just over half size and a combo, with the User group and combo taking the remaining space after that change. Looks like I may have enough space to add a Settings button too, and remove that from the context menu.

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v2.1)

Added a Multiple User ability, so individual users of same PC can have their own list.
Fixed a visual issue where the wrong entry appeared to be being processed during a Query.
This was especially evident when just querying favorites. It was visual only though.
Comments are now listed in a dropdown combo (instead of input), with each element having its own line.
SETTINGS button added, to replace that item on the right-click context menu, which has now become an ADD another USER or REMOVE one, option.
Some buttons etc resized to accomodate changes.

NOTES - Be aware, that when you run this version for the first time, you will be prompted at start for a Username.

If you already have used the program and have a Catalog.ini file, that will then get renamed to match the Username.

See previous posts about the Fixed issue.

I actually prefer the visual element of the combo over input for Comments, as while you need to click the combo to see all the items recorded for currently selected ebook, they do stand out better with quicker recognition.

I think I'm going to be hard pressed to come up with anymore updates now, except for any items outstanding that have been previously mentioned (with issues to be overcome). Still, I'm prepared to be surprised ... as always.

Any issues aside, there is a completeness about the program now, and a sense of satisfaction.

Personally, I can live without the current issues being resolved, as the program does what it was meant to (and no doubt more), quite well.

It side-tracked me from a far bigger project and gave me a welcome break for a while, but I'm feeling ready to return to that now. I know a small handful of you are enjoying this program as much as I am, and that is very pleasing. Not all that many programs out there, by my reckoning, have the potential of saving you money, like this one does. Hopefully users will share the story of their savings with us.

P.S. No sooner have I written that last above, and it occurs to me, that at least one of the options on the Settings window (number of Queries to Save), should be changed to a USER based one, so I will do something about that soon. Always something you overlook or could be better. o:)

P.S.S. Actually, it occurs to me I should make that sooner rather than later, so I would hold off getting the latest update, as it won't entail a version change.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Ok, I've re-uploaded that last update.

Each user now has an independent number of Save Query slots and their Saved queries are their own only.

All other settings on the SETTINGS window are universal between users.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Damn it, there are times when you rely on your brain to tell you things, and it inevitably lets you down, especially as you get older.

It has only occurred to me now (why damn it?), after having shutdown my programming PC and about to wind down watching a Midsummer Murders episode with the wife, that I should have done something about favorites per user too, and undoubtedly there may be one or two other things. Obviously I'm tired, which is not a good recipe when programming.

So, I recommend you hang off (yet again) getting the latest update, until I give it a good thorough check tomorrow and adjust everything that needs doing. I really didn't feel like doing that tonight, at that stage of the evening, and so relied on memory.

When tired, you don't think straight either.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Unless you are thinking "multiple users under one windows login" (very valid for kiosk type setups), why not just split off the user preference part of the database to a separate INI file, and store it under @AppDataDir, while putting the common (downloaded from Amazon) data in an INI file under @AppDataCommonDir?

Doh! :wacko:

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself. :muttley:

Obviously I was just too tired to realize, that a little earlier, when I wasn't so tired, and could thus be relied on a bit better to know what I was doing, that I did indeed know what I'd done. :blink:

In the end my concern proved a non-issue. :D

What I saw or remembered was just a testing section of code, not in use unless testing. Somehow I was too tired to recognize or remember that. That's what occasionally happens in my regular efforts to turn around my sleep pattern.

So I've just re-uploaded the same files again. ;)

P.S. Some INI sections get renamed, and I wanted to do that with one pass and one check, so that was why I was annoyed / frustrated last night ... didn't want to have to code a double fix for those who may have already downloaded ... luckily none did ... not that as it has now been discovered, would have mattered.

@willichan - The program does indeed now create a separate INI file for each user (for ebooks only), but shared program settings are in the one Settings.ini file. In line with my philosophy of not being intrusive on someone else's PC, I store everything in the one program folder, so that is all they ever need to clean up. :)

P.S. AutoIt users (if they wish to) can of course alter paths to do just as you suggested, and recompile.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

What was I just saying about another update?

Another idea just jumped right into my head, then not long after, I discovered a bug in the program (silly mistake).

Damn it, I just discovered that I forgot to add in an extra Else statement, when I changed the original to ElseIf.

Some family member probably distracted me at a key moment or I just plain forgot.

Basically, CANCEL doesn't work for the recursive ADD url, if you have that enabled.

I will have to amend that right away.

The new idea may have to wait.

It occurred to me, that you could elect to shift BOUGHT ebooks onto a list of their own, kind of like another user.

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v2.2)

Added a right-click option to relocate Bought ebooks, to what is essentially another username.

Basically, the Bought username is taken from whatever user is current, and a bracketed {b} added.

So, if you had Fred, all Fred's bought ebooks would be moved to Fred {b}.

The house-keeping benefit of that option should be obvious.
Bugfix for missing Else statement, so CANCEL now works with recursive ADD ebook URL.
Added missing rename entry process for SAVED file location, so each user has their own.

NOTES - Not a major update, but important for the bugfix. And I did in the end, find an item I had overlooked updating in last update, but I suspect most have never used the Save to csv file option, which was just a path being stored. Each user now gets their own path stored. If you were one of the few who downloaded the last update (only a small handful), you may have to manually rename or delete that Save path entry (sorry, but it seemed unlikely you would have used it, and I only wanted one checking function each time the program starts). Personally, I would just forget about changing anything and just set the path, when and if you ever use that option again, using the program itself to do so ... as it will only be one orphan ini entry.

Just a little rant!

P.S. Dammit, how I hate getting phone calls right when I'm in the midst of coding something I don't want to be interrupted in, especially when they turn out to be long calls, as that one did. I also got a call from my wife on the mobile, during the middle of that, who was looking at buying a new Laptop for our youngest. So great stuff to divert your thought processes, so that when you return to coding, you are never sure if you've now overlooked something.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v2.3)

Added a Backup facility for all user files, that happens at program start or when the option is selected. Up to Five backups are cycled per user, and are only created if modified date/time has changed. Backups are optional, and are stored in a program folder called 'Backups'. When all five slots are filled, next backup will cause second oldest backup to overwrite oldest backup and so on.
Added missing check for Bought username, so that Relocating Bought ebooks is disabled when that user is currently selected.

NOTES - It seems passing strange to me, who has often added a backup facility to my programs, that I haven't thought seriously about doing it to this one until now. The other update element, is something I overlooked last update (I have a recollection of it starting to form in my mind, then obviously I got distracted ... I was also at that point, considering whether to support the relocation of Bought ebooks back to the original user file, which I decided wasn't worthwhile enough).

ALERT - I have noticed, that when you delete an ebook entry on the list, you can have issues selecting later items on the list. A simple sort (or restart the program) will fix this. This appears to be a Listview bug, not one of my own. I've toyed with the idea of forcing a mandatory sort (reload) after each removal, but that can be annoying, as you lose your current position (which I could code for, so it is on the consideration list for updates). This issue (no doubt index related) may not occur in later versions of AutoIt.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

It appears that I have an error in my maths somewhere, which I noticed for the first time late yesterday.

I noticed that a price difference wasn't reported correctly, though it was recorded correctly.

I also noticed that a price change or two had not been detected, though it was recorded correctly as current.

This is at odds with other correct determinations, so I must have missed a variant situation.

So I am currently slowly picking my way through my code, and commenting as I go, investigating this issue.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

It appears the issue is related to when a changed price, is both higher than the lowest recorded price, and lower than the highest recorded price. Initially the program didn't bother with that scenario, but I have since changed a few things, and no doubt not realized that meant having to change some other elements. Depending on user's settings, they may not be impacted.

Spoiler

userbar.png

I've coded a fix / improvement, and are now working on the aforementioned REMOVE issue, providing an optional solution.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I thought I'd covered all my bases, and the update was done, but alas running it on this Internet connected PC has shown I haven't quite got it fully correct yet, so have just updated screenshots, and now have to go back to the other PC and investigate the discrepancy. EDIT - appears to have just been a single instance of a variable, that I overlooked. Test and Upload shortly.

Just a little rant because life just sidetracked me.

Meanwhile, the Win 8.1 download happening on my wife's PC, has finished and is installing and started asking a whole series of asinine questions, that of course mean I'm needed. Really, Microsoft, you treat users like morons and then ask them complex questions. Why didn't you just use all the detail from the Win 8 install, and leave us out of it. Now you've just made it possible for mistakes to occur. What would have happened, if we didn't have another PC here, and with a connection, and with her email settings, so that she could get the code to continue. Your programmers really do live in another world (not the real one) don't they. :wacko:

I thought it was just going to be like any other Windows update, but alas not, and for a few terrified minutes, I thought my Wife might have lost her documents, etc. She is a pain when it comes to backing up things, and needs to constantly have her hand held, and I forgot to do that, being somewhat distracted elsewhere. She just doesn't do things often enough to remember them. Neither do I with her stuff, because I just remembered that she probably has her stuff backed up to the One Drive Cloud (or whatever it's called) anyway. :sweating:

Go away, I'm busy!

(must remember to add that as one of my favorite Exclamations in Chat)

That's what I felt like saying. o:)

Just told my lad, who we bought a new laptop for, yesterday, and is still in its box (as thankfully he was too tired last night , as was I, to get it out and fire up), that he should give me some warning today, before he does so ... about half an hour.

(What I really meant, and I ended up telling him this, after his mother's laptop annoyance, was that I could just as easily say, wait until tomorrow ... because I'm not in the right head space today, to deal with any issues he might have, for inevitably, despite him being 18 and probably not needing me, something will go wrong, and he will then ask me for help or to give enlightenment ... and I've done my quota of cursing :censored: today already ... and he won't want to leave his new laptop on, sitting there until tomorrow ... I was just joking of course, but made it sound like I was serious.) (his idea, was to wait half an hour before asking for any help ... as if that's the same thing ... not).

P.S. Thankfully he and his mother had to leave and see to something in the city. So I can relax now, and have a beer perhaps, to calm my nerves. ;)

Just too much in my head at the moment ... and the day started out so simple. ::P

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I went to get that beer out of the fridge (I weakened), and I noticed my wife had bought my favorite Orange & Mango Juice (I take back all those thoughts I never said), and so I had that and some very nice cheese and fresh bread, and the world looks to be approximately the right shape again ... and I still have the beer in reserve if i need it ... or I think it needs testing. :sorcerer:

P.S. Oh alright, I'll get back to finishing that update .... mmmmmmm .... nice juice .... mmmm .... nice cheese .... mmmmm .... lovely bread ..... what was that again? Beer did you say? Thought you'd never ask! :P

P.S.S. No I'm not on drugs ... not that I'm aware of anyway.

WIFE! have you been doctoring the spam?

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v2.4)

Added a Fix (Improvement) for Price Changes (Report & Records).
Added an optional automatic re-sort after an ebook entry is Removed (Deleted).
This re-sort, is also based on the currently selected sort arrangement, selecting the previous entry (if any) after re-sort has completed.
Sort state (column number) is reset to zero index on User change.

NOTES - Call it a bugfix if you want or an improvement, as it wasn't script breaking and wasn't an error in my maths, just an omission for a set of circumstances, which didn't initially apply. It did mean you were incorrectly told a value when the situation occurred, and a price change wasn't logged as a change for that ebook. Important values were still updated though.

I also added some information  to the program, to advise how Price History (etc) works. This is because it may not be readily apparent to some, that the price change can be relevant to more than one last factor (it can be either start, low, high or current). For instance, if a new price is higher than the highest recorded price, then the last factor, will be that highest recorded price, and the difference between reported. Same for lowest. Else it will be Current price compared to Start or previous Current price instead (if that is different).

Re-sorting after removing or deleting an ebook entry, is set by default, but can be disabled if you wish (but that is not recommended).

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 2 weeks later...

(v2.5)

Added an option to have an embedded flashing 'Please Wait!' during a Query, instead of the floating Splash Screen version. Rate of flashing is adjustable, and if set to '0' stops the flashing altogether, though it still displays the same label, etc..
Bracketed 'Lowest', 'Highest' and 'Last' now added to end of Price Change record, to make it obvious what value was compared. This stops the guessing or wondering, that even I was apt to do.
Added a separate right-click entry for 'Current Difference' only. Probably not needed, but easier/nicer/handier.
NOTE - Not an exciting update, but pleasing for those who may have been irritated by the ever present (on top) 'Please Wait!' splash screen during a Query. Strictly speaking, the 'Please Wait!' is probably not required anyway, as you see selections going on.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 2 weeks later...

Have some ideas for the next update.

[1] Display ebook count at Group title for list.

[2] Add a right-click option to START the queries at a specific entry (line).

[3] Add a right-click option to END the queries at a specific entry (line).

NOTE - Both those will have a Toggle on/off ability and perhaps greyed out when not active (via the ALL checkbox).

[4] As things currently stand, two users can have the same item on their list, but if one user deletes that item, the data is deleted. This means that the GUI view for that item will be lost for the other user. Obviously this needs a bugfix.

[5] As always, I'm open to other suggestions for features and improvements.

I will probably do the update some time in the next few days or week.

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v2.6)

Added right click options to specify which entry to Start the Query ALL at, and/or to End at.

A total count of all ebook entries is now displayed.

An open Program Folder button added to Settings window.

The ebook Image Data file is now deleted when that entry is removed, unless it is shared by another user.

Price History has now been given a display check limit of 20 items, which can be manually edited in the 'Settings.ini' file. In the first instance, only items where the price change was less than 10 cents, are excluded. This is raised to less than a dollar, if item count is still above 20. In each case, you will be notified if that has occurred.

The flashing 'Please Wait' label has been moved slightly to the right.
NOTE - The full report (no exclusions) is always exported to the clipboard. At the moment, I am hoping that the two exclusion ranges will be enough, but I will be keeping an eye on the situation with a mind to a further type of exclusion if necessary, in a future update.

NOTES

I misremembered the Image Data file behavior on an entry removal. It turns out it wasn't being deleted at all, and I seem to recall now, that it might have been deliberately left that way. In any case, I have changed that behavior, and it can be deleted now, if not shared with another user.

To use the new Start and End at options for QUERY, you first need to select the Query ALL checkbox, to enable them on the right-click List menu. De-selecting the checkbox will disable them again. When they are active, this is indicated by a tick for each. You don't need to use both, as they will work independently. They are both overridden by the Favorites Query. To check what entry has been selected as Start or End, just select any entry and select the option again. This will give you a removal (same entry) or change (different entry) query prompt. Both settings are cleared upon using the QUERY ALL, except if you use STOP before it gets to the END entry, in which case that will remain active.

The Program Folder button was added to give quicker and easy access to settings and backups, etc.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png