KindEbook Price Query (old version)

TheSaint

Well, I'm not sure what is happening for you there, as it correctly shows up as $8.12 for me.

Might be your locale or currency settings?

Have you tried doing a Query to get an update?

(I didn't need to, as it was correct when added)

P.S. I note you say Script. I just ran my exe, so it could be AutoIt version related perhaps?

Run a compiled version if you haven't, making sure that any issues are set to notify during compiling beforehand.

P.S.S. Or download my zipped version and try that.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Even though I don't read, much if at all anymore (internet since the mid nineties), I think this is a useful program.  Find it hard to believe that with all of the ebook readers out there that this program is being slept on.  Have you considered promoting it outside of these forums?

Yep, I've definitely thought about that ... and thanks.

Four main issues though.

[1] Need to be satisfied it is acceptable for wider public consumption. I haven't even shared it on Facebook etc with friends yet.

[2] How will the store in question and Authors/Publishers take it? Should be okay, but you never can tell.

[3] Will that last impact cause changes in the future, that will render the program useless ... especially for me?

[4] I will get inevitable issues from a variety of users. Some of which I don't care to be bothered with. Requests to work with other stores, and who knows what. At least with the community here, they can modify the source any which way they need to. Essentially, this is a program I made for me, that I just happen to be nice enough to share. Once you share though, if you have a conscience, it is not hard to feel obligated in some way.

I've found the program really useful, and have possibly saved myself quite a few bucks now already, so for now I'm playing it safe and low key.

Of course, once I share it with friends, which will happen sooner rather than later, it will take on a bigger life of self promotion.

P.S. In reality, this program is just a better type of Wishlist for the store in question. Better, in that you can check things far more quickly and in batch style, plus you can study price patterns with it over time. It doesn't give any kind of unfair advantage, in my reasoning. To believe it does, would be like saying a spoon is an unfair advantage over chopsticks, when anyone can use both, and many are damned skilled with chopsticks.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

That's cool.  I can definitely understand that.  I still think that as long as the store which shall remain unnamed doesn't shut it down, that you could very well have a very popular tool.  Oh and feeling obligated doesn't mean that you are.

I am surprised, that it hasn't been a bit more popular here, but in reality, it depends on having the right ereader or app, and purchasing from that store. Some (possibly many) don't do that last bit, and rely on sources from elsewhere, or just don't get the benefit of my program. Never been very many responses to ebook Chat topics here, so I'm guessing not a lot of users, and perhaps most come here looking for something specific, rather than browse like some of us.

Obligation is a funny thing, especially from the point of view of a user.

There can be a funny sense of responsibility, because you provided something, that they got involved with.

You can be very hard-nosed about your obligations, but I know how I've felt about certain Freebies myself, especially if you've bought into them over a long period of time, and got reliant on them to some degree.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Just in case a user hasn't thought of this, this is how I do my Queries.

[1] I have about 8 ebook entries assigned as favorites.

[2] I sort the ISBN column so that Favorites are at the top.

[3] I enable Query ALL & Favorites checkboxes.

[4] I click QUERY.

[5] I check the results and act on them if desired.

[6] Then if I want to, I check the remaining entries (almost 30 for me).

[7] I select the first entry after the Favorites.

[8] Use the right-click menu item to set this entry as First for a Query.

[9] I click QUERY.

All very basic, and not really necessary if you have a short list or don't care about favorites.

Handy though, if you want to deal with your favorites first.

If you have many entries like I do, then it takes a while to do the lot.

Favorites are primary for me, and the rest secondary.

I tend to watch the Favorites Query, and then go make a cuppa or something during the rest.

Other than that, I check my list when I go online, and then again just before I go off.

If I'm online for several hours, I may do extra checks once or twice through that time ... and maybe just my favorites.

A few times now, I've discovered a great price change just before logging off, and so made a purchase then and there.

Author SORT can be handy, if you wanted to just do a query on the ebooks by a specific author, using those new first and last query location settings.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Just had some ideas for the next update.

[1] Right-click context menu for List seems too cluttered, and I want to add two more items, so it needs a revamp using sub items.

[2] Occurred to me, that a pair of options (right-click entries) of Copy or Move an ebook entry to another user, would be good.

[3] Should probably address the issue (if you can call it that), of the Image Data being overwritten when adding the same ebook for another user. Not a biggie, but certainly a pointless exercise as is.

[4] Considering adding a Pre-Order indicator in ISBN, and detecting one and extracting the date as an additional comment.

[5] Perhaps add an Edit option for ebook Title and or Author/Editor name. Would make it easier than manual editing the INI file. In the case of long or imperfect names, this could be useful, especially as an aid to see exactly the portion you want on long names. This would entail another right-click entry.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Bit more work than I expected with this next update, but all is done now except for Pre-Order detection and date extraction for that.

Quite pleased with the new changes and features, with at least one goody not mentioned in last post. Pre-Order can be manually set/unset too, with that text indicator in the ISBN column.

Just need to find a few Pre-Order pages to download, so that I have something to work with to code that feature.

So hopefully not too far off from uploading the next update.

Spoiler

userbar.png

UPDATED - see first post.

(v2.7)

Re-arranged Right-Click context menu entries for List, with some entries now on a sub menu.

Added right click options for 'Pre-Order' and 'Query Non-Favorites', plus Copy (or Move) to another user, plus Editing inputs for Title and Author.

Image Data existence checked for when adding same ebook for another user, to avoid unnecessary updating.

Added ability to attempt detection of a Pre-Order when adding a URL, with Publication Date saved to Comments and an ISBN column indicator.

NOTES - Entries moved to a sub menu, are those that don't get used repeatedly in a session.

Pre-Order will replace Favorite, but not Bought items. Sorting the ISBN (column 2) will have Pre-Orders listed after Favorites at top.

A Query for Non-Favorites can happen instantly or via a prompt, when using (setting) the right-click menu option, or via the regular QUERY button. It also works in conjunction with the Start and End settings. Option added to Settings window, to toggle 'Instant' setting. The Query for Non-Favorites setting stays active, until manually unset by one of two methods or program close.

Before selecting Copy or Move to another user, you can select that user, and use a right-click menu option to set them as recipient, otherwise first time around you will need to type their name in the Input box that appears during the Copy or Move process.

Right-click option for Editing ebook Title or Author name, will present two Input boxes (one after the other) to modify one or both elements.

When adding an ebook via URL, the program attempts to detect whether it is a Pre-Order release, by checking the Publication Date field, and comparing that date to current. If set in the future, then it is determined a Pre-Order and the date is added as a comment, plus the 'Pre-Order' text is added to the ISBN in the ISBN column.

You shouldn't need to ADD the same ebook for another user, as the 'Copy to Another User' option is the better way to do it.

P.S. Detecting a Pre-Order was a bit troublesome, as it worked with a local download of an ebook page, but not via the URL. In the end, this proved to be due to what must be a live element field. This meant it showed up as some kind of variable, which had no real value when Html text was extracted. However, the date was available still in another form, which I was able to use. I've only tested it with two Pre-Orders that I knew of, so I don't know how reliable the process is yet.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I've had an idea for my next update (or maybe two).

Basically, the ability via right-click option, to remove price list changes for a selected ebook entry, that are below a specified value.

This would be similar to the option I added for Price History, but it may only support changes less than 10 cents (or not).

You can currently do this manually, by editing the INI file for a user, but that would be a pain if you have a sizable number of ebooks to wade through.

Actually, an InputBox might be presented, so that you can target a value and below to remove, or use a leading equals sign to indicate a specific value only.

I've thought of this, because lately there seems to be a lot of changes that are only in the 1 or 2 cents range (or slightly more), and honestly you don't really need to keep tabs on those. I will look into the idea of adding an ignore option to the program for such minor changes.

As always, other ideas welcome.

Spoiler

userbar.png

I've coded and done some testing of the two update ideas above, but not bothered with the equals sign option.

The second idea is a checkbox on the Settings window for price changes below 10 cents (etc).

Basically that just stops those minor changes being recorded for the ebook, while still recording them for generic reporting and displaying them after a Query ALL. In short, if enabled they won't be recorded and shown in a Price History viewing, while still displaying in current (last 5 etc) results overall. Low, High and Current are still recorded for each ebook, so those elements get updated.

I'm just waiting a bit before compiling, final testing and uploading, to see if any more update ideas come to mind.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v2.8)

Added a right-click List option for the Selected Entry to have price changes for that ebook, removed if a specific difference or below (up to .99).

Added a Settings window option, to not store price changes below a difference of .10.
Query Results dialog, now also has record number as part of title.
USERS sub menu added for right-click on List, and the two USER options relocated to that.
Image Data GUI now has UP and DOWN arrows to go to previous or next ebook entry.
The text only, Selected Entry Detail option also now allows you to advance to next ebook entry.
Added a third checkbox for QUERY, that just duplicates the Query All Non-Favorites settings.

NOTES - Any differences that change a Low, High or Current value, are still recorded in the specific records for that, per ebook. As they also are in the Last 5 or so Query results. It is just in the Price History report for an ebook, that they no longer get recorded (if the setting is enabled).
UP and DOWN arrows on Win XP and earlier, use the Progman.exe file for the icons. That file does not (disappointingly) exist in Win 7 etc, so I have opted for wpdshext.dll in the System32 folder. This is not hard set though, and an entry in the INI file, plus ones for icon ID numbers can be modified there, if need be or desired.
The option to "Show result, but do not store for ebook if change is less than 10 cents (etc)", is hard coded to deal with a difference that is only single digit, so '9' and below. I could make the difference qualification a user specified one, if I get a request (or enough requests) for it. As it is, you can manually specify a value of less than '9', by modifying an INI entry (i.e. '5' would mean '5' and below).
The third QUERY checkbox, works together with the Right-Click menu item and setting, for a quicker alternative to that menu method. This kind of makes the menu method redundant, and probably should have been done this way in the first place. For now, I'm leaving the original method as an option still.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I've become aware of an issue with the program, such that it needs an improvement.

I knew about it to some degree, but obviously I didn't think it would be an issue, otherwise I would have dealt with it.

Basically, I discovered today, with one of my ebook entries, that it had gone down in price by almost $4.

However, that status wasn't reported.

A price change had been noted, but instead of comparing things to last price, it compared it to the previous lowest price.

I had actually deliberately set things that way, even a program update to do so, I think.

That was in line with keeping things simple.

However, now I feel that isn't satisfactory, as it requires the user to do some checking and comparing.

When I get some suitable time, I will look into a solution, but I expect it may result in additional reporting.

Chiefly, I felt unsatisfied, because the change of price did not make me aware it was a big change ... a new lowest price in fact.

The evidence was there, but it didn't click. I'd only noted that it was just a few cents lower than the previous lowest price.

By the way, this was the ebook that I had reported in an >earlier post in Chat, that went up in price significantly, after having gone down in price a few times before that.

Definitely games going on.

It still needs to drop about $3 before I will consider buying it.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

A couple more improvements (in addition to last post one) have come to mind, so I imagine I will do an update soon.

[1] I decided I would like to be able to add an ebook that is in existence but has no price due to being currently unavailable. This will necessitate a query prompt dialog, and if ok'd will give a price of $0.00. This means, that you then become aware (hopefully), if the unavailability status changes to available during a query. DONE

[2] Decided the server query before ADD or QUERY etc, should probably be a value (address) in the 'Settings.ini' file, that a user can modify to what they would prefer. I may even make it so that an alternative is also possible, as servers are sometimes offline or slow. This proved to be not what I remembered, so unnecessary.

I am also considering adding a buy (at) price entry and check, which could result in some form of extra notification (a beep perhaps). This would mean, if at that price or below, and perhaps even within a specific margin of that price, an alert could be triggered during the query. One could consider this overkill though.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v2.9)

Added the option of adding an ebook without a price, via a prompt dialog.
If a price returned during a Query is a new lowest or highest, a comparison with Last price, is also reported.

NOTES - Some ebooks exist that don't currently show a price. This is usually because they are no longer currently available. Hopefully, when they do become available again, it will be for the same ISBN number the program uses, so that the user gets advised of this availability.
Previously, you were only told the price difference of the change between last lowest or highest, when the price was a new low or high value. If a big price change occurred, you might not realize it, so this extra check and report has been added.

Spoiler

userbar.png

It's funny how things occur to you sometimes.

It has only now occurred to me, that the Report after a Query, should have a line count check, so that the dialog is not too large.

Easy enough to implement, and you have the option of exporting to clipboard anyway, so I could just have it suggest that, or present a temp text file with the full detail (probably better).

Line check limit could be listed as an INI entry, for manual edit at least.

I guess this has become somewhat more obvious and necessary, due to the latest update, which can create much longer reporting lines. Still it would be a good idea anyway, as who knows how many ebook entries may be on a user's list.

So expect that in next update.

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v3.0)

Added a Report Message line limit, plus a temporary 'Report.txt' file of the full report, and access to it via a right-click Query menu item.
Some rearrangement of right-click menu items has occurred.

NOTES - Default line limit is 20 lines, but this can be manually changed in the 'Settings.ini' file.
A temporary 'Report.txt' file of the full report is created for every Query, where there is a result.
This file gets overwritten on each successful Query with a result, but until then can be viewed via a Query sub item entry on the right-click context menu of the ebook list.
So whether the report is truncated or not to 20 (etc) lines, the result can be reviewed until it is replaced (overwritten). The report includes the date created, at the top.
The right-click sub menu entry of 'Selected Entry' has been moved up to immediately below the other two 'Selected Entry' items (i.e. Selected Entry Detail), which is more logically fitting.

Overall, probably not much of an update, though very handy if you have a large number of ebooks on your list, and the ability to gain access to the last report (until replaced) as copyable text could prove handy.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 4 weeks later...

(v3.1)

Changed the method of determining a connection to the web. A server of User choice and the timeout can now be specified in the program Settings.
A count of price changes is now displayed in the embedded non Splash version display.
A price change that matches the lowest or highest on record, but not the last price recorded, is now displayed and (depending on settings) recorded.

NOTES - Change of connection check was implemented because I was experiencing regular failures with the original method in more recent times. It was also slower than what occurs now.
As a price change is detected, it can now be shown instantly as part of an incrementing total (at top of program window).
A bugfix of sorts for a price change that was being overlooked, due to a match with the lowest or highest on record.

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v3.2)

Changed the width of the Current (8th) column, so it can accommodate a trailing asterisk. This is a non permanent asterisk that only displays during a Query if the price changed.
When adding a new ebook, if CANCEL is clicked on subsequent additions, while the CTRL key is held down, the input field will be filled again by any suitable content on the clipboard.
Program Information expanded and improved on second dialog screen.
When a Query has finished, instead of displaying (in non Splash mode) the word 'Stopped', it now displays the word 'Finished' and an additional count of changes, until mouse is moved.
Timer and field added for Query (hours:mins:secs).
Bugfix related to sorting and asterisk.

NOTES - The 8th column asterisks only exist while the program remains running or until a sort or change of user occurs. It is suggested that you may want to do a sort, to clear these asterisks before doing any subsequent Queries, as existing ones are not removed during another Query.
If the option to keep presenting the ADD URL input box is enabled, then the new improvement comes into effect when clicking CANCEL with the CTRL key held down. Normally, after clicking OK for the first addition of a new ebook entry, the input field is presented again, but blank. At this point, in the past, you were required to manually paste the URL for any subsequent ebooks. Instead, you can now click CANCEL (with CTRL) to have this automated (provided you have indeed copied a URL to the clipboard first). In effect, when adding multiple ebooks, you are clicking OK & CANCEL repeatedly.
The bugfix, was related to sorting via the Low (6th) column, where I had forgotten to implement removal of the asterisk before doing a price comparison between Start and Current price. Program Information now explains a bit more (on second dialog screen) about sorting options and results, with the main advice being to view the Current (8th) column for the resulted impact. That last is particularly relevant when sorting the Low (6th) column, as the true end result is not shown in that column, but the Current (8th) one. The result may seem somewhat confusing, unless you remember, that entries with a decrease in price since ebook was added, are shown first, followed by unchanged prices next, and those with an increase in price, last.
Showing 'Finished' and changed count seems more intuitive than just displaying 'Stopped', and means you can look or walk away, and still see the count on your return, before moving the mouse.

COMMENTS

I wasn't expecting to make another update so soon, and was really thinking it was bottom of the barrel time for more improvements. Boy, was I wrong, as usual.

I'd been meaning to do something about showing the overall time taken for a Query, but kept forgetting about it, and did so again this time too, and was just about to upload the update, when I remembered and made myself go back and implement it.

I actually started this update, with only one thing in mind, and an urge to do a little programming.

That one thing was something I should have thought of last update, when I added the count for changes, as I immediately missed its lack on regular use of the program, despite not feeling that way during testing. So now the final count is displayed until the mouse is moved.

As usual, I wasn't gonna do an update solely with that, and so addressed a couple of wishes that were outstanding, and also discovered a bug along the way, so that worked out well. They were outstanding, because they were kind of minor and I had no resolutions in mind. For some reason the resolutions were readily to mind this time, probably after cogitating in secret at the back of my mind. Nothing new there. Anyway, they were pretty simple solutions.

Due to their nature though, I was also inspired to make things clearer in the Program Information dialog, second screen.

Hope you enjoy the results!

P.S. With 41 items on my list, with about 8 of those being favorites, so minus them, it took just over 11 minutes to do a Query All. A lot of that would be due to my less than perfect Internet connection, I'm sure ... not even ADSL 1.5 speeds. Some days the Query is quicker, but not today, so it will be interesting to see what the quickest time will be on a good day.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png