Few Quick Questions

b14ck

I haven't been doing any au3 coding in a very very long time. But circumstances have returned to a place which I need to use windows again. I've got a few quick questions about the language:

When using loops, can you still use brackets close the circumstance?

for ($i = 0 to 50)

instead of:

for $i = 0 to 50

Also, is there a way to prototype your functions?

-I am the giver of life and the bringer of death.

It shouldn't be new news... Prototyping functions is common in C and C++ which are the base of this scripting language along with pretty much everything =/

And I have one more question to add to the list, is there a way to get the amount of elements in an array? Not a dynamic array, just a normal array, like:

$names[5] ;<--- return 5

$names[6] ;<--- return 6

etc

Thanks again.

It shouldn't be new news... Prototyping functions is common in C and C++ which are the base of this scripting language along with pretty much everything =/

Uhhh... well that certainly didn't further my understanding of 'function prototyping'. ;) Do keep in mind that most of the people on these forums have no idea of some feature that might be common to C and C++.

After some Googling on what this secretive principle is, my guess is no.

And I have one more question to add to the list, is there a way to get the amount of elements in an array? Not a dynamic array, just a normal array, like:

$names[5] ;<--- return 5

$names[6] ;<--- return 6

etc

I think you're after UBound().

$names[5] ;<--- return 5

$names[6] ;<--- return 6

etc

Thanks again.

$name[5] = 5 ?

and you can do *If ($var == 'Hello') Then* but i dont know why you would want to do that when you can just leave out the paren's.

Do keep in mind that most of the people on these forums have no idea of some feature that might be common to C and C++.

HEY! I know C++ ive just never heard 'funtion prototyping' ..is this some sort of beta type testing? me no comprehendo

[right][font="Courier New"]...Run these streets all day, I can sleep when I die.[/font] [/right]

Maybe I'm not being clear... I need to do this to determine how long an array will be. Such as this quick example in Java...

char hk[] = {'a', 'b', 'c', 'd'};

System.out.println("Number of elements in array hk: " + hk.length + ".");

Or... In C...

char *hk = "hello world";

(void)fprintf(stdout, "Amount of elements in array hk: %d\n", sizeof(char) * (strlen(hk) + 1));

This way I can traverse through an array of any length without hard-coding in the size.

LxP, thanks, I just read your post after posting mine ;)

Just thought of another question actually. I don't see anything in the help file about instantiating arrays upon declaration.

ex:

Global $array[] = {"element 0", "element 1", "etc"}

Any substitute for that? Or do you have to specify each element?

ex:

Dim $array[3]

$array[0] = "el0"

$array[1] = "el1"

$array[2] = "el2"

You may want to take a look at the _ArrayCreate() UDF offered by Array.au3:

Create a small array and quickly assign values.

#include <Array.au3>
$Array = _ArrayCreate ( $v_Val1, [$v_Val2, [..., $v_Val21]] )

You can initialize an array in the beta. The help file explains that.

Function prototyping is necessary in languages like C/C++, otherwise, you can't use a function until after the compiler sees it. A prototype is just a declaration that says, "Hey compiler, I will define this function which looks like this later on."

Example:

#include <iostream>

// Prototype for function foo which takes an int and char
void foo(int i, char c);

int main()
{
    foo(1, 'a');
    return 0;
}

void foo(int i, char c)
{
    std::cout<<"i="<<i<<", c="<<c<<std::endl;
}

Without the prototype (aka declaration), the compiler would error out on the call to foo() in main() because the compiler had never encountered such a function. This is not necessary in AutoIt because AutoIt pre-processes the file and looks up all functions and stores them so that when it is actually executed the functions are known, regardless of the order they appear in the file. C/C++ on the other hand process in a top-down manner and must see either the function definition or a declaration so it knows about a function.

I was curious because I personally like to have a listing of all functions included in the file at the top (not in comments). And thanks LxP, I saw that function in the help but I thought it was only for dynamic arrays, (I saw the add function).