GUI_Create somewhat weird operation? (Wrong size window.)

corrado33

Go to solution Solved by DutchCoder,

Hi all,

I'm writing a small script that identifies a certain area on my screen. For testing purposes, I've copied a window creating script from the web which works great, and is pretty simple. It simply draws a window over the area I've identified.

I use this line to create the window I'm talking about.

$hWnd = GUICreate("box", $diffX, $diffY,$negX,$y)

However, the box is always "taller" than I expected, even though diffY is calculated correctly. I suspect that when the window is created the "height" parameter doesn't take into account the menu bar. Is that correct? Anyone know the exact height in pixels of the menu bar in XP? (Sure sure I'll go google it.)

• Solution

By default a window is created with the "Client Area" of the dimensions mentioned.

So Windows will have the default borders and title bar "around" this area, according to the Theme chosen in Windows.

For this you need a GUI Control Style of 128 (Hex 80)

It will not allow you to create a window with all possibilities of normal application windows, but will do the trick.

$hWnd = GUICreate("box", $diffX, $diffY, $negX, $y, 0x00080080)

By default a window is created with the "Client Area" of the dimensions mentioned.

So Windows will have the default borders and title bar "around" this area, according to the Theme chosen in Windows.

For this you need a GUI Control Style of 128 (Hex 80)

It will not allow you to create a window with all possibilities of normal application windows, but will do the trick.

$hWnd = GUICreate("box", $diffX, $diffY, $negX, $y, 0x00080080)

This is exactly what I ended up doing, but since it's only for debugging, I didn't look into it any further.