Compiled script, where is the .exe?

Hello Forumers, and Forumersess! 

It's time for today's simpleton question by me. I tried to compile my script, accordance with link Method 2. As far as I can tell, nothing happened. Can't find the .exe or anything.

This is my first time of compileing a script, and I want it to be useable as a stand alone program. Thanks to SmOke_N's advice I realized that I should probably start to understand this a little bit better, then to just jump into the other 2 possible methods. Can you guys tell me what can be wrong and /or what to dd? Any other general pointers are welcome, as I said first time letting one of my scripts go free in to the wild, and want to do it properly.

I used ISN-Studio for the GUI, but I don't think that could cause anyproblem, was a very usefull tool to me.

Thank you!

PS.: Live long and prosper!

Edit: I feel like I don't give enough information, but don't know what else should I tell you, ask if you need anything!

Edited by SorryButImaNewbie

Try compiling the script from SciTE and see if you can see where it is placed when compiled.

There might be a setting in ISN studio that tells it where to place your compiled exes, you'd have to check in that software how it's done. I have no experience in using it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

What does the settings in ISN Studio say? I have no idea where it compiles your script to.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I don't really know, I used the method you suggested in post 2. and It worked perfectly. I have an inkling that it actually compiled it the first time, but in my head I expected a new file, while it may just "finish" compiled the application file in to an exe, and I just didn't realize that... (could this be the thing? :)

I believe ISN studio uses a folder structure in your documents folder by default...

So something along the lines of:

C:UsersSorryButImaNewbieDocumentsISN AutoIt StudioProjects (Swap out your username for your pc username)

Then select your project folder and the compiled exe should be there!

This is ofcourse, Assuming you're using the default location for your projects

Alternatively, You can just right click the top of the folder structure in ISN autoit Studio (the toolbar on the left that shows the folder structure of the project) and click 'Open in explorer'... Which will take you straight there!

Hope this helps :)

- Javi

give a man an application, and he'll be frustrated for the day, Teach him how to program applications and he'll be frustrated for a lifetime.

I compiled it in SciTe, not in ISN, but yeah that was my question, to where it automaticly saves it! I didn't even know I could compile my script from ISN, or do I missed something again? I'm pretty sure I was just stupid and expected a new file while in reality It just turned my application file in to an exe which i can now easly spread around :)

Thank you for the help anyway!

• Moderators

while in reality It just turned my application file in to an exe

More like it "embedded" your file into an exe ;).

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Can you explain the differnece to me in short? (I used the word "turned" because my original application file changed to the .exe (sorry if thats actually not true, I can only say what I realized from all this) I also understand the word "embedded", at least i can translate it :)

So what happens basicly when I compile something that a script/transletor program runs "over" my code and translate it I assume to binary, or maybe some other "deeper" language, which can be used by other computers (if they can read it, thats why I assume binary as the mostt logical solution i can think of). <--edited, original didn't reall made much sense

So what !happenes! when i compile is, my original application file, which can only be used with autoit software, is translated and embedded to the new .exe. Correct?

(Sorry I just want to learn, and you should have know better then that if you don't wanna bother :) )

Edited by SorryButImaNewbie

• Moderators

The short answer... Your script is inserted into a precompiled stub executable.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I didn't even know I could compile my script from ISN, or do I missed something again?

You can indeed.

Simply right click the .au3 file from the treeview (left hand panel) and select 'Compile'

:D

EDIT: I probably should also mention that if you're using ISN to create the GUI as well, you'll have better results using the compile Project function (Go to Project > Compile Project or just Press F7)

Edited by javiwhite

give a man an application, and he'll be frustrated for the day, Teach him how to program applications and he'll be frustrated for a lifetime.