how you handle return values?

Hello everyone!

For a change of pace today I only ask for your opinion/best practice of how you handle return values of built in or UD functions.

For example I do this with winwaitactive

WinWaitActive("Kérdés", "", 10)
    If WinWaitActive = 0 Then
        WinActivate($handle) ;Handle for the previus window from where i try to open the new one
        ControlClick($handle, "", "[CLASSNN:TAdvBitBtn1]")
    EndIf

This is an older code of mine (a bit more then a month :) ) I know today, that I can easly leave out the winactivate line since it would run the same.

I'm just want to learn a bit more on how people do these kind of things, what is the simpliest syntaxes to use.

(Also might I suggest a forum where users can posts content like the above? I'm not sure how populated would it be, the idea just came to mind because I wasn't sure that I should post this here on some other forum)

Best regards! Me

Edite: change of space to pace :) I googled it because I thought something is not right with that :D

Edited by SorryButImaNewbie

Your code is wrong, as you need to learn about variables in the help file and assignment e.g.

Local $iWaited = WinWaitActive("Kérdés", "", 10)
    If $iWaited = 0 Then
        WinActivate($handle) ;Handle for the previus window from where i try to open the new one
    EndIf

The reason there is no error is you're checking a function pointer against zero.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Thanks! as a few of you know I'm in a situation where i have to learn autoit by doing, and I have significant lack of understanding when it comes to the innerworkings (thats why i started a thread like this!)

Can you please explain the "you're checking a function pointer against zero." me a bit more detailed? I dont know what a pointer is.

What I got from that is, since WinWaitActive is a function it won't be processed like a $variable, so first we get its return value and use that new variable to check the winwaitactive "results".

Sorry I try to wrap my head arounds the inner workings so to improve my skill/knowladge :)

Edit also:

Local $iWaited = WinWaitActive("Kérdés", "", 10)
    If $iWaited = 0 Then
    EndIf

Will this code runs the WinWaitActive while it also decleres its return as a variable? or do we only get a $iWaited = 0?

Edit2:

I tested it like this and it works this way: but this is the same as the first, how could this run in another script of mine?

WinWaitActive("Kérdés", "", 5)
        If WinWaitActive = 0 Then
            WinActivate($handle2)
            ControlClick($handle2, "", "[CLASSNN:TAdvBitBtn1]")
            WinWaitActive("Kérdés", "", 5)
        EndIf

As you're still new I see it as no benefit to explain that functions in AutoIt are first class objects (search the help file and Forum), as it will just add confusion. So for now just know that your way is the wrong approach if you want to know the return value of a function.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I learned IT, so I'm sure I will work it out at the end from the help file, thank you. Can you please explain it to me why the last code of the 4. post IS working in a script of mine?

After somethinking, could it work because WinWaitactive is a first class function? So I should be able to pass it around, as I understand it.

Thanks for the enlightening and sorry for every time i caused you to roll your eyes :) 

Seriously, search the help file and Forum, I have told you that it's being regarded as a function pointer, which when you compare function pointer to zero, both sides are automatically cast to zero i.e. it's true.

If you want to be taken a little more seriously, then I would suggest you change your username to something a little more appropriate. I am not going to waste time explaining an advanced feature if you're not up to date with how variables work in AutoIt, nor should I, when the information is readily available by opening up a search engine and plugging in the term "functions first class objects AutoIt". 

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I have told you that it's being regarded as a function pointer, which when you compare function pointer to zero, both sides are automatically cast to zero i.e. it's true.

That was what I missed, sorry. I did as you told me, searched the help file read the wiki about first class objects, pointers. Sorry, I use this name exactly for this reason, to prepare those who are willing to help so to try to avoid angering the dear users who are helping me. I read before I ask something on the forums and the wiki and the help file as well, I just misses some connections that are aperent to more seasoned users.

Okay fair enough. I am not angry, just tend not to use smiley faces alot.

UDF List: