Intercept Right-Click Listview Context Menu

TheSaint

Hi fellow AutoIteers, here's what seems to be a tricky one.

Perhaps even trickier, because I am using v3.3.0.0 of AutoIt.

I've spent most of the morning playing with this, and have now turned my attention here, but not having much luck with my searches here yet.

Scenario

I have a Listview with entries.

When I left click on an entry, an INI entry for that item determines whether a right-click context menu entry is enabled or disabled.

I want to be able to do the same thing with a right-click.

However, the right-click context menu trumps all in precedence it seems (secondary down, etc).

Is there a way to intercept or beat the context menu?

I nearly coded a solution a few times, but there was always some element that wouldn't work correctly.

The method I was using though, was continually creating and deleting the context menu, so not ideal anyway, more a work-around.

I've previously managed to deal with a right-click after the context menu appears, but now I need one that deals with right-click before the context menu appears.

Anyone wishing to help solve this or show a solution, that requires some code from me, the script I'm working on, is >available here. I'm using GUIGetMsg and Select Case, so no OnEventMode.

Any help is appreciated. Cheers!

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Are you asking for the ability to override the right click context menu?  If so, then I think a way (maybe not the only or not the best) is to draw a transparent control over the listview such as a label.

Scratch that for now.

I'm not sure what you're asking actually.

Edited by jaberwacky

I'm not sure what you're asking actually.

And there I was, thinking I'd been very precise and to the point. :

When you left click a listview entry, you change the active selection to that entry, both visually and in fact ... easy peasy, with nothing else to contend with.

When you right click a listview entry, you change the active selection visually, but not in fact, and you have a context menu that appears instantly, that you have to contend with. That last of course, is only if you have setup a context menu.

I can write code, that will make the right click selection, a change in fact as well as visual, but only after the context menu has appeared (and you select something). Which if you want to change something on the context menu, as I do, it is too late. That code, also requires you to left click a context menu entry to enable the (in fact) change.

The way I see it, a user can reasonably expect a list item, that appears to be selected visually, to actually in fact, be the active selection. This however, is not the case with a right click ... it is visual only.

When checking several items on a Listview, it requires a lot of dual clicking, first the left click to make an item active, and then the right click to get a selection of options via a context menu. Get rid of the currently necessary left click, and you halve the number of clicks needed.

So what I would like to happen, is that a right-click does exactly the same as a left click ... all before the context menu appears.

Hopefully I have now made it perfectly clear what 'm after. :sweating:

@czardas - you are probably onto something there, and I had started digging into something along those lines, when I realized it was for standard File etc dropdown menus, and not a context menu. At least, that's how it seemed to me ... perhaps I misunderstood or there is another method (in v3.3.0.0) that I'm just not aware of ... WinAPI or something?

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Can't you just use the _GUICtrlMenu UDF and _GUICtrlMenu_TrackPopupMenu to create and display the menu?

Can't you just use the _GUICtrlMenu UDF and _GUICtrlMenu_TrackPopupMenu to create and display the menu?

If I get enough time today, I will look into those.

That was what czardas was suggesting, methinks.

So I think that may have been what I started looking into earlier, and possibly erroneously dismissed.

I've certainly seen them in my searches, though not enough to appear/register as the solution.

Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT

It is funny how things change sometimes.

I've been using Listviews in many of my programs for years, and while it may have crossed my mind before about the right-click issue (I'm sure it has), it's never really seemed to matter until now.

For sure, many of those don't have a context menu, and the vast majority have never been shared, which may be the reason why I'm caring so much this time, to actually chase up a solution.

In the past, for myself, I just guess I've put up with the vagaries, because I'm aware and allow for it.

A different kettle of fish, when you are considering the possible range of users, with various degrees of experience, intelligence and know-how.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I've had some success so far, but ran out of time tonight.

It's proving a tricky thing so far, but I remain hopeful.

EDIT

Removed my unnecessary rant ... I was obviously peeved at the time, twiddling my thumbs waiting for the opportunity to get back to coding. Computers, don't you just love 'em?

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

What's all that 3.3.0.0 stuff about? As far as I can see only three commands depends on 3.3.0.0: AdlibEnable, AdlibDisable and _IEErrorHandlerRegister. It should not be too hard to replace these commands with commands that belongs to the current versions.

@LarsJ - never fear it was a silly mistake on my part ... my brain was not recognizing what it was seeing.

Not having a PC friendly day today (on my Programming PC).

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Well, I've wasted a lot of hours on this now, and it seems the deeper I dig, the more confused I get, and now I'm way out of my comfort zone. I like to be a little out on occasion, for then I learn things, but I'm in faraway land now, where they all speak a different language ... and UP means, would you like an egg for breakfast ... but of course I have no way of knowing that, for there is no point of reference.

When I use GUIRegisterMsg, as it appears I need to, to have the self-created context menu show, it screws up other processes of my GUI code, and I'm not about to rewrite all my GUI code. Perhaps it is because I am using GUIGetMsg and not OnEventMode? It is causing weird issues though, that I only partly understand.

For instance.

When my GUI starts, GUIRegisterMsg code runs four times, which makes no sense.

I understand that it runs, because of a Case statement in my GUI code, but why four times or four times only?

My code selects the first entry on the Listview (just once at startup), from a current 20+ items on the list.

I'm guessing that the selection of it triggers the WM_COMMAND element of GUIRegisterMsg?

I have both GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND") and GUIRegisterMsg($WM_CONTEXTMENU, "WM_CONTEXTMENU") before my  GUISetState command.

If I comment out my the Case statement in question, then GUIRegisterMsg doesn't run.

The Case statement is related to clicking on the Listview (or selecting an entry).

Further to that,

When the context menu appears, during apparent normal use, then none of the menu items appear to register a consistent (or any understandable to me) value, when selected.

I know this is something to do with the $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam of both WM_CONTEXTMENU($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam) and WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam), but I'm not really clear on what those parameters are.

$iMsg is always the same value, as is $lParam.

$wParam returns the same different values each four times it runs, but appears to change them for each different menu item.

Those values don't match up with the different $variable name that has been assigned to each menu item by _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hMenu, 0, "Open", $variable).

This just leaves me confused.

I also had to add my own extra variable, to prevent the program itself closing, after you select a menu item, as somehow it got a message that told it to send $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE afterward.

All highly confusing, and no doubt related to WM_COMMAND, which I cannot seem to do without, for the context menu.

Then there is the issue, of having the context menu appear and then changing your mind and not selecting anything.

If you do that, it then takes two goes to close the program with $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE.

So just plain confusing all round.

P.S. It seems crazy to me, that the language allows you to right select an entry in a Listview, but stops there and doesn't natively support anything further. All that does is cause issues. My view, is it is half-arsed and should really be one way or the other, either no support or full support.

At the moment, as it stands, users can be forgiven, for thinking that visually selected Listview entry means actually selected, which it isn't ... not when you use right-click.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

If anyone wants to play with what I've attempted and/or show me where I've gone wrong, then here is the extra code I've been using. Any insights will also be much appreciated. Thanks!

>Original script (required).

In the original script, you will need to comment out several sections, starting with $Menu_list Global and then the Globals for every $Item_? and then every $Item_? itself in the Select Case statements.

Then add the following declarations

Global $context
Global Enum $Item_web, $Item_summary, $Item_query, $Item_price, $Item_paid, $Item_opts, $Item_notes, $Item_image, $Item_history, $Item_favorite, $Item_entry, $Item_data, $Item_copy

Then comment out the original Context Menu and change the $lowid value at that location to the following.

$lowid = $Button_x

Then add both GUIRegisterMsg and the $context variable (just before GUISetState) that prevents program closure after selecting a menu entry.

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND")
GUIRegisterMsg($WM_CONTEXTMENU, "WM_CONTEXTMENU")
$context = ""

Change Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Or $msg = $Button_x code to

Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Or $msg = $Button_x
        ; Quit, Close or Exit program
        If $context = "" Then
            GUIDelete($PriceQueryGUI)
            ExitLoop
        Else
            $context = ""
        EndIf

Then add the following two functions

; Handle WM_COMMAND messages
Func WM_COMMAND($PriceQueryGUI, $iMsg, $iwParam, $ilParam)
    Switch $iwParam
        Case $Item_web
            ; Go to web page
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_web", $Item_web, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_summary
            ; Get missing summary
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_summary", $Item_summary, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_query
            ; Query results
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_query", $Item_query, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_price
            ; View price results
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_price", $Item_price, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_paid
            ; Bought this ebook
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_paid", $Item_paid, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_opts
            ; SETTINGS
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_opts", $Item_opts, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_notes
            ; Add a comment
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_notes", $Item_notes, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_image
            ; Selected Entry Detail (image + text)
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_image", $Item_image, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_history
            ; Price History
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_history", $Item_history, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_favorite
            ; Set ebook as a favorite
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_favorite", $Item_favorite, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_entry
            ; Selected Entry Detail (text)
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_entry", $Item_entry, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_data
            ; Get missing image data
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_data", $Item_data, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        Case $Item_copy
            ; Copy URL to clipboard
            MsgBox(262192, "$Item_copy", $Item_copy, 0, $PriceQueryGUI)
        EndSwitch
EndFunc   ;==>WM_COMMAND

; Handle WM_CONTEXTMENU messages
Func WM_CONTEXTMENU($PriceQueryGUI, $iMsg, $iwParam, $ilParam)
    Local $Menu_list
    GetSelectedIndex("detail")
    $Menu_list = _GUICtrlMenu_CreatePopup(9)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 0, "Go to web page", $Item_web)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 1, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 2, "Copy URL to clipboard", $Item_copy)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 3, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 4, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 5, "Selected Entry Detail (text only)", $Item_entry)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 6, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 7, "Selected Entry Detail (image + text", $Item_image)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 8, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 9, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 10, "Price History", $Item_history)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 11, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 12, "View price results", $Item_price)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 13, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 14, "Query results", $Item_query)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 15, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 16, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 17, "Add a comment", $Item_notes)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 18, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 19, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 20, "Bought this ebook", $Item_paid)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 21, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 22, "Set ebook as a favorite", $Item_favorite)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 23, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 24, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 25, "Get missing summary", $Item_summary)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 26, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 27, "Get missing image data", $Item_data)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 28, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 29, "", 0)
    _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($Menu_list, 30, "SETTINGS", $Item_opts)
    If $record = 1 Then
        _GUICtrlMenu_EnableMenuItem($Menu_list, $Item_history, 0)
    Else
        _GUICtrlMenu_EnableMenuItem($Menu_list, $Item_history, 3)
    EndIf
    If $data = 1 Then
        _GUICtrlMenu_EnableMenuItem($Menu_list, $Item_image, 0)
    Else
        _GUICtrlMenu_EnableMenuItem($Menu_list, $Item_image, 3)
    EndIf
    If $paid = 1 Then
        _GUICtrlMenu_EnableMenuItem($Menu_list, $Item_favorite, 3)
    Else
        _GUICtrlMenu_EnableMenuItem($Menu_list, $Item_favorite, 0)
    EndIf
    _GUICtrlMenu_TrackPopupMenu($Menu_list, $PriceQueryGUI)
    _GUICtrlMenu_DestroyMenu($Menu_list)
    $context = 1
    Return True
EndFunc   ;==>WM_CONTEXTMENU

The Case statement that I mentioned is

Case $msg = $Listview_ebooks Or ($msg > $lowid And $msg < $bigid)
        ; Select a List entry or Sort by column
Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

When I do that I get a MsgBox that won't go away which says, "No list entry is selected".

There are plenty of those in the script, so something has not been commented out that needs to be.

I'm fairly certain mine has only the changes I mentioned above, though I simplified the first or the two functions above, to only show their MsgBox, so people did get issues with the full code, like their browser starting up, etc.

I will now follow those steps myself, and see if I forgot something, and report back.

Thanks for trying.

Spoiler

userbar.png

I just followed to the letter what I provided above, and I'm not seeing your issue.

I did have one issue though, which as I explained above, no doubt extends from using GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND").

So it must be remembered that this seems to screw with other GUI etc elements.

You are no doubt using a more current version of AutoIt, than v3.3.0.0, which may also play a part in your issue?

No doubt, it depends on which menu entry you click on and probably what sequence ... so it appears to me anyway.

Global Enum may be relevant to that, incrementing as it does.

EDIT

Obviously I've strayed beyond the borders of my own little parcel of land in Backyard Hobby Programming, into areas, where if I scratch the surface on the theory side of things, it doesn't take much to get beyond what I understand.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Could you just post your modified version?

As to your directions, I do remember wondering what exactly you mean by this, "Then comment out the original Context Menu".

Scratch that, I think I understand now.

Scratch that, same question:

As to your directions, I do remember wondering what exactly you mean by this, "Then comment out the original Context Menu".

Edited by jaberwacky

Scratch that, same question:

After GUI creation in the original script, you have a section where all the GUI Controls are created, then a section headed "Context Menu", then a section for OS Settings, then a section for general Settings, then the GUI Select Case statements.

The items in the Context Menu section have the same variable names as those you would have commented out in Global settings, as well as matching the same entries in the WM_CONTEXTMENU($PriceQueryGUI, $iMsg, $iwParam, $ilParam) function, which is the replacement context menu.

I can upload a copy of the script if you wish, but that is all there is to it?

P.S. I haven't got much space left in my upload quota here, so I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary to upload another copy of the script. Most of the uploads I do now, are via my Google Drive and Bitly, and I reserve my remaining space here, mostly for screenshots now ... this latest program aside while I'm still regularly updating it.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Damn, I should have uploaded the script.

I just realized the copy here was missing the #include <GuiMenu.au3> line.

My apologies.

Spoiler

userbar.png

As I've had to temporarily remove the latest update at the link provided previously, I'm adding the earlier modified testing version below. It will however, due to upload space, be removed after I re-upload the latest update again (probably early tomorrow). This one already has all the changes listed above, applied to it.

Testing KindEbook Price Query.au3

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

When I add a book, then right click, select Go to web page, I get a msgbox which says 0 and then nothing happens.

When I left click the item before I right click, same thing.

Is this the sort of issue you're talking about?

TheSaint,

FWIW, When I want to use a "menu" initiated by R-CLK in a listview I use a popup menu as follows...

#include <StructureConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <GuiMenu.au3>
#include <array.au3>

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Add_Constants=n

local  enum $idDelete = 1000, $idDetail ; these are used in menu definition to link to WM_COMMAND

local $aCars[5][3] = [ _
                        ['Buick','LeSabre','1999'], _
                        ['GMC','Suburban','2010'], _
                        ['Chevrolet','SkyLark','2008'] _
                     ]

local $gui010 = guicreate('ListView Context Menu Example')
local $LV010 = guictrlcreatelistview('Make          |Model          |Year',20,20,215,100)
local $dummyDet = guictrlcreatedummy()
local $dummyDel = guictrlcreatedummy()

_GUICtrlListView_AddArray($LV010,$aCars)

guisetstate()

$hMenu = _GUICtrlMenu_CreatePopup()
_GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hMenu, 0, "Detail", $idDetail)
_GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hMenu, 1, "Delete", $idDelete)

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND")
GUIRegisterMsg($WM_NOTIFY, "WM_NOTIFY")

while 1
    switch guigetmsg()
        case $gui_event_close
            Exit
        case $dummyDet
            msgbox(0,'Detail Display',_GUICtrlListView_GetItemTextstring($lv010,-1))
        case $dummyDel
            msgbox(0,'Delete Display',_GUICtrlListView_GetItemTextstring($lv010,-1))
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func WM_NOTIFY($hWnd, $iMsg, $iwParam, $ilParam)
    Local $iIDFrom, $iCode, $tNMHDR, $tInfo

$tNMHDR = DllStructCreate($tagNMHDR, $ilParam)
    $iIDFrom = DllStructGetData($tNMHDR, "IDFrom")
    $iCode = DllStructGetData($tNMHDR, "Code")

Switch $iIDFrom
        Case $lv010
            Switch $iCode
                Case $NM_RCLICK
                    $tInfo = DllStructCreate($tagNMLISTVIEW, $ilParam)
                    If DllStructGetData($tInfo, "Item") > -1 Then
                        _GUICtrlMenu_TrackPopupMenu($hMenu, $gui010)
                    EndIf
            endswitch
    EndSwitch

Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
EndFunc   ;==>WM_NOTIFY

Func WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $iMsg, $iwParam, $ilParam)
    Switch $iwParam
        Case $iddetail
            guictrlsendtodummy($dummyDET)
        Case $iddelete
            guictrlsendtodummy($dummyDEL)
    EndSwitch
EndFunc   ;==>WM_COMMAND

From what I am understanding in your thread this seems to address the "what"  if not the "how" of what your are doing.

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill