Global declared twice, is it suppose to keep the previous value?

I thought that when you declared a variable as Global, and then declared it again as Global - it would overwrite the previous value. But I think it is working more like a Static Variable. And I could be completly wrong too?

Here is the code, it runs ever min ie 59 seconds, and it keeps appending EST over and over - I know how to fix it, but really thought that if one was to declare a variable with the same name and scope, that it would set it back to NULL, or at least not keep the current value

#include <Date.au3>

While 1
    If @SEC = 59 Then
        ; Show current time zone information
        Global $aOld = _Date_Time_GetTimeZoneInformation()
        Global $sTimeZone
        Global $aTimeZone = StringSplit($aOld[2], ' ')
        Global $iHour = ''
        Global $sUIP = ''

If @HOUR = 0 Then
            $iHour = 12 & 'AM'
        ElseIf @HOUR >= 13 Then
            $iHour = @HOUR - 12 & 'PM'
        Else
            $iHour = @HOUR & 'AM'
        EndIf

For $x = 1 To UBound($aTimeZone) - 1
            $sTimeZone &= StringLeft($aTimeZone[$x], 1)
        Next
        ;_ArrayDisplay($aTimeZone)
        $sUIP = ' ' & @MON & '.' & @MDAY & '.' & @YEAR & ' | ' & $iHour & ' ' & $sTimeZone
        MsgBox($MB_OK, 'DATE | HOUR ZONE', 'Send it, clipboarded subject line' & @CRLF & @CRLF _
                 & $sUIP)
        ClipPut($sUIP)
    EndIf

WEnd

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

It does set it back to uninitiated in your case above.

The problem there is you do not test it.//I assume it's $sTimeZone as it's the only one declared twice.

And as you know declaring variables in a loop is daft.

EDIT:

Totally misread the code.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

A short test will show you how it works:

Global $Test = "Test"
ConsoleWrite($Test & @CRLF)
Global $Test
ConsoleWrite($Test & @CRLF)

returns "Test" two times.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

So no bug, but I would think that it would delete whatever value it was - again, I find that I am wrong. Thanks

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Create a function for the internal If statement, and use LOCAL variables...then they will clear out after each return from the function.

Else, specifically set each variable ="" athe the start of the if statement.

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

From what I understand about Global declaration, is that you should only do it once.

In fact, you should get an error at compile time if you declare more than once.

If you need to reset/destroy a variable, use the Local scope, as suggested.

Really though, once you do a Global declaration for a variable, why would you ever need to do so again, when you can set the value to anything, including nothing. If it needs to be destroyed, either use it with Local instead or avoid using a variable altogether ... though I'm sure there is a way to null.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

So no bug, but I would think that it would delete whatever value it was - again, I find that I am wrong. Thanks

The value of an already declared variable is only changed when you assign a new value to it. Either in the second "Global" statement or in an assignment.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Okay, I now see my mistake. Besides declaring the variable as global each time, I thought it was similar to removing the data from an array by redeclaring it with the global key word. I have learned a lot about variables in the last couple of posts, or I am just getting too old to remember, what I already learned.

The reason for using the global key word, is that I wanted to keep all the code in one place for testing, and then move it to its own file.

Thanks again, for every ones time and help.

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

• Moderators

There are times when a Global/Dim does change the scope/initializer... actually, only one comes to mind at the moment:

#include <Array.au3>
Global $gaArr; I'm going to use this in the future, but might not be an array if condition doesn't meet
ConsoleWrite(VarGetType($gaArr) & @CRLF) ; not an array
_some_func()
ConsoleWrite(VarGetType($gaArr) & @CRLF) ; now is an array
_ArrayDisplay($gaArr)

Func _some_func()
    If 1 = 1 Then
        ; condition is met, initialize array
        Global $gaArr[2] = ["Hello", "There"]; I actually use Dim here as a personal preference so I can track my code and what I'm doing
    EndIf
EndFunc

Edit:

I use this method when I need to clear/delete an array too, even though it is still probably declared as an array type.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I was reading a thread, where they did not want to remove the array elements, but only the data, so in your example, you could declare Global $gaArr[2], would remove only that data? Sorry, doing this from my phone.

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Yes, it does.

#include <array.au3>
Global $gaArr[2] = [1, 2]
_ArrayDisplay($gaArr)
Global $gaArr[2]
_ArrayDisplay($gaArr)

returns an empty array the second time.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

So I think that is where my confusion came in, I thought it would be the same, and remove the value of the data. But I now know better.

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

They get declared multiple times because the Global statements are within the loop.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki