_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharBkColor performance help please

orbs

this little script demonstrate the issue: using  _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharBkColor()to "highlight" selection in RichEdit takes too long. that's over 5 seconds for ~4000 characters (and much longer when it comes to real-life figures). i even tried to adapt the said function to eliminate some validation checks - this is _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharBkColorEx() in the script - no effect.

this is a simple demo that just highlights every character in a random color - but that is very similar to the real application, which is highlight searched text. just run it and see for yourself. also, during the operation, the focus (obviously) keeps returning to the not-yet-shown GUI, so it's practically impossible to work with anything else...

using _GUICtrlRichEdit_PauseRedraw() and _GUICtrlRichEdit_ResumeRedraw() has very little effect. you can comment them out and move the GUISetState() upfront, so you can actually see the entire process in action. very nice, slow display.

how can i improve the performance of this operation? any hints are most welcome!

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-q -d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w 7
#include <GuiRichEdit.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

; build GUI
Global Const $nGUI_MaxW = 500, $nGUI_MaxH = 400
Global $nGUI_W = 720, $nGUI_H = 500, $nRichEditOffset = 10, $nToolbarOffset = 35
Global $hGui = GUICreate('_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharBkColor performance test', $nGUI_W, $nGUI_H, -1, -1, BitOR($WS_MINIMIZEBOX, $WS_MAXIMIZEBOX, $WS_SIZEBOX, $WS_SYSMENU))
GUISetBkColor(0xCCDDEE)

Global $hRichEdit = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hGui, FileRead(@ScriptFullPath) & @LF, $nRichEditOffset, $nRichEditOffset + $nToolbarOffset, $nGUI_W - $nRichEditOffset * 2, $nGUI_H - $nRichEditOffset * 2 - $nToolbarOffset - 24, BitOR($ES_MULTILINE, $ES_READONLY, $WS_HSCROLL, $WS_VSCROLL))
_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel($hRichEdit, 0, -1, True)
_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetFont($hRichEdit, Default, 'Courier New')

GUICtrlCreateLabel('time before highlight: ' & @TAB & @HOUR & ':' & @MIN & ':' & @SEC & ',' & @MSEC, 15, 5, $nGUI_W - 30)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, Default, Default, Default, 'Courier New')
GUICtrlSetResizing(-1, BitOR($GUI_DOCKLEFT, $GUI_DOCKTOP, $GUI_DOCKSIZE))

_GUICtrlRichEdit_PauseRedraw($hRichEdit)

For $i = 1 To StringLen(_GUICtrlRichEdit_GetText($hRichEdit))
    _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel($hRichEdit, $i, $i + 2)
    _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharBkColor($hRichEdit, Random(253545, 304050, 1))
Next

_GUICtrlRichEdit_ResumeRedraw($hRichEdit)

GUICtrlCreateLabel('time after highlight: ' & @TAB & @HOUR & ':' & @MIN & ':' & @SEC & ',' & @MSEC, 15, 25, $nGUI_W - 30)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, Default, Default, Default, 'Courier New')
GUICtrlSetResizing(-1, BitOR($GUI_DOCKLEFT, $GUI_DOCKTOP, $GUI_DOCKSIZE))

GUISetState()
GUIRegisterMsg($WM_GETMINMAXINFO, "_WM_GETMINMAXINFO")
GUIRegisterMsg($WM_SIZE, "_WM_SIZE")

Global $iMsg = 0
While True
    $iMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $iMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            _GUICtrlRichEdit_Destroy($hRichEdit)
            Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd

#region resizing funcs
Func _WM_GETMINMAXINFO($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam
    Local $tagMaxinfo
    If $hWnd = $hGui Then
        $tagMaxinfo = DllStructCreate("int;int;int;int;int;int;int;int;int;int", $lParam)
        DllStructSetData($tagMaxinfo, 7, $nGUI_MaxW) ; min X
        DllStructSetData($tagMaxinfo, 8, $nGUI_MaxH) ; min Y
        Return 0
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_WM_GETMINMAXINFO

Func _WM_SIZE($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam
    ; ref: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/123904-solved-auto-resizing-richedit-control/#entry860464
    If $hWnd = $hGui Then
        Local $iWidth = _WinAPI_LoWord($lParam) ; the entire GUI internal width
        Local $iHeight = _WinAPI_HiWord($lParam) ; the entire GUI internal height
        _WinAPI_MoveWindow($hRichEdit, $nRichEditOffset, $nRichEditOffset + $nToolbarOffset, $iWidth - $nRichEditOffset * 2, $iHeight - $nRichEditOffset * 2 - $nToolbarOffset)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_WM_SIZE
#endregion resizing funcs

Func _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharBkColorEx($hWnd, $iBkColor = Default) ; this was adapted from the UDF to skip some validation checks that are irrelvant for current purpose
    ;If Not _WinAPI_IsClassName($hWnd, $_GRE_sRTFClassName) Then Return SetError(101, 0, False)

Local $tCharFormat = DllStructCreate($tagCHARFORMAT2)
    DllStructSetData($tCharFormat, 1, DllStructGetSize($tCharFormat))
    If IsKeyword($iBkColor) Then
        DllStructSetData($tCharFormat, 3, $CFE_AUTOBACKCOLOR)
        $iBkColor = 0
    Else
        If BitAND($iBkColor, 0xff000000) Then Return SetError(1022, 0, False)
    EndIf

DllStructSetData($tCharFormat, 2, $CFM_BACKCOLOR)
    DllStructSetData($tCharFormat, 12, $iBkColor)
    ;Local $ai = _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetSel($hWnd)
    ;If $ai[0] = $ai[1] Then
        ;Return _SendMessage($hWnd, $EM_SETCHARFORMAT, $SCF_ALL, $tCharFormat, 0, "wparam", "struct*") <> 0
    ;Else
        Return _SendMessage($hWnd, $EM_SETCHARFORMAT, $SCF_SELECTION, $tCharFormat, 0, "wparam", "struct*") <> 0
    ;EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharBkColorEx

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

That script ran in less than a second for me, approximately 900 ms. Windows 7 x64.Running it as a 32 bit process takes about 1.2 seconds.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Win7 Pro x64   IntelCore2Duo P8700 2,53 GHz

Run as 32Bit - 2,7 s

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

thank for your feedback! this is only a 4KB sample. now try it on a real-life size, >100KB

P.S.

CPU: i5-2500 @ 3.3GHz

RAM: DDR3 16GB @ 666MHz

GPU: [integrated] Intel HD Graphics 1000 (GT1) @ 850MHz

running as 32-bit or 64-bit - no difference

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

On my less than stellar laptop at home the script in the OP runs in 2.5 seconds x64 and 3.8 seconds running 32 bits.

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T7100  @ 1.80GHz, 1800 Mhz

As you can see this computer isn't anything special and is REALLY slow.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

orbs, Why do you think this is a performance issue, and why do you expect it to go faster? Even a C++ program would probably be rather slow, if it should use the Rich Edit DLL for such a task. Simply because the Rich Edit DLL is not designed to set a different color for each character in a large string in a fast way.

the starting point for this entire thing is WinMerge (and other comparison tools, for that matter). when it needs to highlight differences between files, it shows both files side-by-side with highlights, and does it blazingly fast.

i was under the impression it uses RichEdit for that purpose (because regular Edit control does not supports coloring), but now i examined it with the AutoIt Window Info tool, and found it seems to use its own custom class for this.

anyway, for me i'll stick to RichEdit, but i think i thought of an optimization technique. i'm building the RichEdit after it was analyzed for the text that should be highlighted, so:

currently, i highlight all instances of the text, and then the user is given control.

i'm about to check this alternative: build the RichEdit with the text only (no highlights at all), then give the user the control, and highlight every instance of the text only when that instance becomes visible.

so basically, i need to:

(1) determine what are the first and last characters visible.

(2) detect changes to the visible text area.

for (1) i'm already using _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetCharPosFromXY() with decent success; for (2), that depends on scrolling, keyboard arrow keys moving the caret, window resize, and probably more. i'm going to try and trap it with GUIRegisterMsg(), but if there is any simpler way, i'll be happy to know...

EDIT: will the event $EN_CHANGE work for change in visible text, or is it only for change in text? are there RichEdit-specific events i can trap that will be useful?

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

this is what i did eventually:

i need the first and last visible chars. for that, i'm using these:

Func _GUICtrlRichEdit_VisibleChar_GetFirst($hRichEdit)
    Return _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetCharPosFromXY($hRichEdit, 1, 1)
EndFunc   ;==>_GUICtrlRichEdit_VisibleChar_GetFirst

Func _GUICtrlRichEdit_VisibleChar_GetLast($hRichEdit, $nRE_W, $nRE_H)
    Local $iResult = 0
    Local $iDiag = 0
    Do
        $iDiag += 1
        $iResult = _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetCharPosFromXY($hRichEdit, $nRE_W - $iDiag, $nRE_H - $iDiag)
    Until $iResult > 0
    Return $iResult
EndFunc   ;==>_GUICtrlRichEdit_VisibleChar_GetLast

(the reason i'm scanning from lower-right corner diagonally inwards, is because i don't know if any scrollbar is visible, or what is the  scrolllbar width).

now, i need to know when there was a change in visible text. that change simply should be an indication to re-check the first and last chars. so, instead of using messages and notifications (which i did not find anything simple that will tell me about change in visible text), i'm constantly re-checking the first and last chars (in the main loop). if any of them changed, i need to process what's in the middle. it's a crude method, but it works... kind of. i'm still trying to optimize it.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

did, and several others. it's simply that there are so many ways in which visible text can change: scrollbars click, scrollbars drag, arrow keys, font change, font size change, window resize, internal commands - which i'm using a lot, like _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel(), _GUICtrlRichEdit_GotoCharPos() etc. - and probably others i did not list here. EN_MSGFILTER can handle mouse & keyboard events; fine. but foreseeing all possible events requires combining notifications from several sources, which quickly got a lot messier than i'd prefer.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

• Moderators

orbs,

You could try adding the highlighting manually by extracting, modifying and reloading the RTF stream - something like this: ;)

Global $nGUI_W = 720, $nGUI_H = 500, $nRichEditOffset = 10, $nToolbarOffset = 35

Global $hGui = GUICreate('_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharBkColor performance test', $nGUI_W, $nGUI_H)
GUISetBkColor(0xCCDDEE)

Global $hRichEdit = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hGui, FileRead(@ScriptFullPath) & @LF, $nRichEditOffset, $nRichEditOffset + $nToolbarOffset, $nGUI_W - $nRichEditOffset * 2, $nGUI_H - $nRichEditOffset * 2 - $nToolbarOffset - 24, BitOR($ES_MULTILINE, $ES_READONLY, $WS_HSCROLL, $WS_VSCROLL))

$nBegin = TimerInit()

; Make sure there is no selection
_GUICtrlRichEdit_Deselect($hRichEdit)
; Read the RTF stream
$sContent = _GUICtrlRichEdit_StreamToVar($hRichEdit)

; Define the highlight colour
$sColDef = "{\colortbl ;\red255\green128\blue128;}" ; This is \highlight1, you can add as many others as you want
; And add it as line 2
$sContent = StringReplace($sContent, ";}}", ";}}" & @CRLF & $sColDef)

; Search for RichEdit
$sSearch = "RichEdit"
; And highlight all occurences
$sContent = StringRegExpReplace($sContent, $sSearch, "\\highlight1 " & $sSearch & "\\highlight0 ") ; highlight0 is the base colour

; Now replace the current text with thhighlighted version
_GUICtrlRichEdit_StreamFromVar($hRichEdit, $sContent)

ConsoleWrite(TimerDiff($nBegin) & @CRLF)

GUISetState()

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd
That runs lightning fast on my system. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

never in my entire life have i been so glad to ditch an honest days work.

this looks very potent! however i'm having a small difficulty:

the data of substrings to highlight is formatted as characters index, not as contents of substrings. for example, i have this list:

meaning: highlight chars 22 to 27 in predefined color #1, highlight chars 54 to 88 in predefined color #2, etc.

when i'm working with the raw text, locating the substrings is no problem; but the stream has much additional data in it.

i'm having trouble locating the position of the substrings in the stream. is there a built-in method to do this?

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

• Moderators

orbs,

is there a built-in method to do this?

No - but I am sure we can come up with something. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

i figured out a way to detect the first char in the stream - and knowing that the stream origin is plain text, and that each @CRLF is now accompanied by "par", i think i can manage to locate substrings. this is how i do it:

this gives me the content of the first line:

Global $sContentSource=FileRead(@ScriptFullPath)
Global $sContentSourceLine1=StringLeft($sContentSource,StringInStr($sContentSource,@CRLF)-1)

and the first occurrence in the stream of that line, suffixed by "par", is the starting of the text. this is given by:

StringInStr($sContent,$sContentSourceLine1&'\par')

i added dump to temp file the content of the string, before and after the insertion of the highlights. opening it in Notepad++ i can see that the location is correct. this is the complete demo:

Global $hGui = GUICreate('_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharBkColor performance test', $nGUI_W, $nGUI_H)
GUISetBkColor(0xCCDDEE)

Global $sContentSource=FileRead(@ScriptFullPath) ; reading it to var because will work with this twice
Global $sContentSourceLine1=StringLeft($sContentSource,StringInStr($sContentSource,@CRLF)-1) ; this is the text of the first line

Global $hRichEdit = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hGui, $sContentSource, $nRichEditOffset, $nRichEditOffset + $nToolbarOffset, $nGUI_W - $nRichEditOffset * 2, $nGUI_H - $nRichEditOffset * 2 - $nToolbarOffset - 24, BitOR($ES_MULTILINE, $ES_READONLY, $WS_HSCROLL, $WS_VSCROLL))

$nBegin = TimerInit()

; Make sure there is no selection
_GUICtrlRichEdit_Deselect($hRichEdit)
; Read the RTF stream
$sContent = _GUICtrlRichEdit_StreamToVar($hRichEdit)

; unmodified stream - write to file for later check
FileDelete(@TempDir&'\rtf-stream.txt')
FileWrite(@TempDir&'\rtf-stream.txt',$sContent)

; Define the highlight colour
$sColDef = "{\colortbl ;\red255\green128\blue128;}" ; This is \highlight1, you can add as many others as you want
; And add it as line 2
$sContent = StringReplace($sContent, ";}}", ";}}" & @CRLF & $sColDef)

; find first char position
ConsoleWrite('1st char position: '&StringInStr($sContent,$sContentSourceLine1&'\par') & @LF)

; Search for RichEdit
$sSearch = "RichEdit"
; And highlight all occurences
$sContent = StringRegExpReplace($sContent, $sSearch, "\\highlight1 " & $sSearch & "\\highlight0 ") ; highlight0 is the base colour

; modified stream - write to file for later check
FileDelete(@TempDir&'\rtf-stream-after.txt')
FileWrite(@TempDir&'\rtf-stream-after.txt',$sContent)

; Now replace the current text with thhighlighted version
_GUICtrlRichEdit_StreamFromVar($hRichEdit, $sContent)

ConsoleWrite(TimerDiff($nBegin) & @CRLF)

GUISetState()

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd

now i'm struggling with locating substrings in next lines...

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

• Moderators

orbs,

Do the index values you have for the highlighting ignore the par EOL? Or do we have to take them into account? :huh:

M23

Spoiler

yes, ignoring "par", because it's origin is plain text and not aware of the RTF stream.

the real trouble i'm facing is that i can't determine if it's ignoring @CRLF or just @LF, or not at all.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

• Moderators

orbs,

i can't determine if it's ignoring @CRLF or just @LF, or not at all.

Ah, that makes it a bit tricky. :(>

However, I am currently working on splitting the stream into separate "lines", so if you can determine how the EOLs are dealt with it should be relatively simple to add either 0, 1 or 2 characters to the count every time we move to a new line. I will keep working on the code as a "proof of concept" and we can revisit this EOL problem later. :)

M23

Spoiler

splitting the stream into separate "lines",

brilliant! should be rather easy (given stream origin is plain text, of course) - trim the part before the first char, then StringSplit by "par". i'll see what i can make of this.

EDIT: oops, forgot about the ending... the last line, which in the source text is simply WEnd, in the stream looks like this:

WEnd\lang1037\f1\rtlch\par
}

with @CRLF after that "par" and after the closing curly brackets at the following line.

EDIT #2: but this can be ignored for now, because it should have no effect on the rest of the text and on the highlights indices.

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps: