Lock CD Tray - Disable Eject Button - Prevent Media Removal

dabigfish

(!) Lock CD Tray v20150226 - tested under Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

This is an very simple code / program to lock / unlock all CD / DVD / BD drives at the same time, so then the eject button is out of order. Put this program into your Windows-Autostart-Folder to lock all CD drives when Windows starts. Click on the tray icon to open an tray menu with the following menu items:

- Lock / Unlock ALL Optical Drives

- Exit

Why i wrote this program? Because i touch accidently the eject button of my notebook cd drive too often. That was very annoying, so now it is disabled and the cd tray keeps closed, even when windows is resuming form sleep or hibernation mode.

LockCDTray.png

program history:

v20150226 - added a 10 sec pause when starting the program, so when windows starts this prevents mailfunction of program, problem was, that auto lock on program start did not work properly when windows started

v20150223 - tray stays locked / unlocked when windows resumes from sleep or hibernation mode

v20150221 - on exit unlock all optical drives

v20150220 - initial release

LockCDTray_v20150226.zip

Edited by dabigfish

• Moderators

dabigfish,

You need a certain number of posts before you get certain permissions on the forum - as a complete newcomer you are a bit limited in what you can do. ;)

For the same reason I have not approved your request to upload your file - doing so implies that we approve of the script and as we have no idea who you are we are not prepared to accept that responsibility at present. Once you have had a few downloads and the script has gained approval from other members, please resubmit it. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

You might want to think about having the script unlock all drives when you exit the script instead of just exiting it. You might end up with locked drives and the only way to unlock them is to run the script again, log out, or reboot.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• 4 years later...

Hello dabigfish

I found your LockCDTray very helpful in terms of CD/DVD/BD protection from stealing.

I appreciate very much if you could release a version without a Msgbox at execution time. 

I will include this exe file at startup then the PC user is not aware that the CD has been locked.

Or If you are busy at this time pls let me know how to edit it.

Thanks very much in advance.

Joey

Qatar

• Moderators

@joeyd11ph first off why would you lock the CD tray, rendering it unusable, without telling the user? 

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

protection against everyone who doesnt have a paperclip, or the means to roll a piece of paper.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

On 9/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, joeyd11ph said:

Hi Joey!

I sugest you look at the code and try things, like erasing bits of code that seem relevant. You might learn things in the process. :) 

That is not a quote btw... XD

Edited by Manko
Yes i rush things! (I sorta do small bursts inbetween doing nothing.) Things I have rushed and reRushed:* ProDLLer - Process manager - Unload viri modules (dll) and moore...* _WinAPI_ProcessListOWNER_WTS() - Get Processes owner list...* _WinAPI_GetCommandLineFromPID() - Get commandline of target process...* _WinAPI_ThreadsnProcesses() Much info if expanded - optional Indented "Parent/Child"-style Processlist. Moore to come... eventually...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jlogan3015,

My setup is a small DB system where an auto backup routine is executed every time an exit button is pressed,  I use my DVD as a second back up (HD is my first). Due to data sensitivity, I don't want anybody can simply open my DVD tray and steal my DVD.

Hi imtheky,

I'm aware that paperclip can open the drive, by the same token I can also open the PC case and steal the HD without any tools.  It is all snap-in.

You call this stealing in purpose.  

Hi Manko,

You are right, hard work hahaha... nothing is free.......

My immediate solution was to cut the pin/peg beneath the button pad.  If I want to eject it, I do it on Admin account right click and eject or PAPER CLIP.

Cheers guys

Joey   

Edited by joeyd11ph