recommended screenshot+annotation tool?

orbs

if you are producing a manual for your program (or any program, for that matter) - what are you using for screenshots and annotation? something easy to use, with pleasant graphic result?

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

I would check out Sourceforge for both, with the latter requirement being a CHM, HTML Help or PDF maker.

Plenty of screenshot scripts are available here in Examples too.

There is a topic or three here dealing with the preferred program for CHM (Help or manual) files. Can't recall the name off the top of my head, but some kind of (HTML??) Workshop I think.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

I would check out Sourceforge for both, with the latter requirement being a CHM, HTML Help or PDF maker.

Plenty of screenshot scripts are available here in Examples too.

There is a topic or three here dealing with the preferred program for CHM (Help or manual) files. Can't recall the name off the top of my head, but some kind of (HTML??) Workshop I think.

HTML Help Workshop

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

I use (free) MWsnap

From the site:

• 5 snapping modes.
  • Support for BMP, JPG, TIFF, PNG and GIF formats, with selected color depth and quality settings.
  • System-wide hotkeys.
  • Clipboard copy/paste.
  • Printing.
  • Auto-saving, auto-printing.
  • Auto-start with Windows.
  • Minimizing to system tray.
  • An auto-extending list of fixed sizes, perfect for snapping images for icons and glyphs. 
  • A zoom tool for magnifying selected parts of the screen.
  • A ruler tool for measuring screen objects lengths.
  • A color picker showing screen colors with separated RGB parts.
  • Fast picture viewer.
  • Adding frames and mouse pointer images.
  • Multilevel configurable undo and redo.
  • Multilingual versions.
  • Configurable user interface.
Edited by RTFC

• Moderators

We used to use MWSnap, but I don't believe it has been updated in 10 or 12 years. Last I knew it was XP 32bit only.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

Never said it wouldn't work on WIN7, simply that the last updated version (I could be wrong) was from 12 years ago, and was specifically written for XP 32bit.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

In my company we use GreenShot as well. Nice and cheap tool.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 2 weeks later...