How To Loop Thru Many Excel Spreadsheets & Add Text in A Cell?

Go to solution Solved by bmccollum,

I have a collection of 500 dynamically-generated Excel spreadsheets that reside in 500 uniquely-naked folders... 1 spreadsheet per folder.

I'd like to try to use AutoIt to dynamically loop through all of those folders and open each spreadsheet (with AutoIt somehow being able to navigate through all of the randomly named folders/files without me specifically having to indicate what all of the names are). I'd like for the process to find the last row of data in each Excel file and insert the red/bolded text of "Proprietary Info" in cell "A" of each spreadsheet, 2 lines below the last row of data in each spreadsheet.

So if 1 spreadsheet has 200 rows of data, I need AutoIt to dynamically determine that "Proprietary Info" should be inserted into cell "A202" and similar for each spreadsheet.

Has anyone else done this successfully? I've done a ton with AutoIt but nothing to this point like what I'm trying to accomplish here. Thank you in advance for any info any of you might be able to provide.

bmccolumn,

It sounds harder than it is.

What does this mean?

500 uniquely-naked folders

1 - Are the folders under another folder or under the root folder? 

2 - Is the spreadsheet the only .XL* type file in the folder?

The trick is to get _FileReadToArray* to create a list of workbooks you want to operate on.  The rest is gravy...

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Maybe "uniquely-named"? A typo :)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

_FileListToArrayRec should fill an array with all the Excel workbooks and directory information (if needed).

The functions in the Excel UDF should do the rest.

_Excel_RangeWrite writes the data to your Excel sheet. Use UsedRange.Rows to get the last used row of each sheet.

To set color and boldness you have to use the Range object and do it yourself (but it's quite easy).

If you have problems we will be happy to assist.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

First thing for you to do:

Use _FileListToArrayRec to grab the list of Excel-files.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Kylomas:

I'd want to operate on all .xls files under each SUBFOLDER under the main "c:temp" folder. If someone else has arbitrarily put some Excel files directly in "c:temp", I don't want to do anything with those. I'd only care about what's in "c:tempABCCompany", "c:tempDEFCompany", etc.

• Solution

Wonderful!  I believe I have enough of a point in the right direction to tackle this.  Thank you to the several of you that posted replies and suggestions as to how to accomplish this desired task.  Have a great weekend!