AVI Framerate

Endgame

Here is a quick script to demonstrate how to get the framerate of an AVI file.

$filename = "PutYourFileNameHere.avi"
$framerateHex = DllCall(@ScriptDir & "\binary.dll", "int", "FileReadBinary", "str", $filename, "int", 32, "int", 3, "str", "")
$framerate = 1/(Dec(StringRight($framerateHex[4],2) & StringMid($framerateHex[4],3,2) & StringLeft($framerateHex[4],2))/1000000)
MsgBox (0, "Framerate", $framerate)

This script requires the binary.dll from LazyCat (http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/Lazycat/). This script is pretty useless on its own but it could be the start of something useful.

Guest Darksoul71

@endgame:

Quite a nice idea to read the fps value straight from the avi header. For one of the upcoming versions of AutoIt (currently beta) I would suggest to use the "DllCall" function in combination with "avifil32.dll" and AVIStreamInfo. Unfortunately I haven´t had the time in the last days. For my tool "Komprezz2MPEG2" (see a few postings below) I´ve choosen a different approach: As I use AVISynth anyhow to do resizing, denoising, etc., I came up with the idea letting AVISynth "dropping" the info in a simple textfile.

This little function adds a few lines to a AVISynth file in order to achieve this.

Func AVSInfo ($AVSFile, ByRef $Width, ByRef $Height, ByRef $Frames, ByRef $FPS, ByRef $AudioChannels, ByRef $AudioRate)
  $AVSInfo  = $TempPath & "\movie_info.txt"
  $InfoAVS  = $TempPath & "\movie_info.avs"

; Delete files from previous path if existing
  If FileExists ($AVSInfo) Then FileDelete($AVSInfo)
  If FileExists ($InfoAVS) Then FileDelete($InfoAVS)

; Pepare AVISynth script for AVI dump
  FileCopy ($AVSFile, $InfoAVS)

AddLine ($InfoAVS, "filename =" & Chr(34) & $AVSInfo & Chr(34))
  AddLine ($InfoAVS, "WriteFileIf(filename, " & Chr(34) & "current_frame == 0" & Chr(34) & "," & Chr(34) & "Width"       & Chr(34) & ")" )
  AddLine ($InfoAVS, "WriteFileIf(filename, " & Chr(34) & "current_frame == 0" & Chr(34) & "," & Chr(34) & "Height"     & Chr(34) & ")" )
  AddLine ($InfoAVS, "WriteFileIf(filename, " & Chr(34) & "current_frame == 0" & Chr(34) & "," & Chr(34) & "Framerate"   & Chr(34) & ")" )
  AddLine ($InfoAVS, "WriteFileIf(filename, " & Chr(34) & "current_frame == 0" & Chr(34) & "," & Chr(34) & "Framecount" & Chr(34) & ")" )
  AddLine ($InfoAVS, "WriteFileIf(filename, " & Chr(34) & "current_frame == 0" & Chr(34) & "," & Chr(34) & "Audiochannels" & Chr(34) & ")" )
  AddLine ($InfoAVS, "WriteFileIf(filename, " & Chr(34) & "current_frame == 0" & Chr(34) & "," & Chr(34) & "Audiorate"   & Chr(34) & ")" )

; Opens the AVISynth file in VirtualDub mod to enforce "info drop" 
  TouchAVS ($InfoAVS)

; Open infofile generated by AVISynth script
  $file = FileOpen($AVSInfo, 0)

$Width         = FileReadLine($file)
  $Height       = FileReadLine($file)
  $FPS         = FileReadLine($file)
  $Frames       = FileReadLine($file)
  $AudioChannels = FileReadLine($file)
  $AudioRate     = FileReadLine($file)

FileClose($file)

FileDelete($AVSInfo)
  FileDelete($InfoAVS)
EndFunc

AVISynth provides a variety of infos on a movie. Refer to the AVISynth clip reference:

http://www.avisynth.org/ClipProperties

You can find out pretty much anything about the video you like :P

I´ve combined this with a small AutoIt function which uses VirtualDubMod to "touch" the AVISynth file (which results in writing the informations into a text file). ;)

I was really amazed how easy you can develop your own AV processing application with AutoIt and a little bit of freeware. I´ve planed several tools in future. Esp. a MP3 processor that is really able to cut MP3 files without having anoying "clicks" in between. I´ve done a tool using BeSplit for this but many of my audiobooks / audioplays have either gaps in between or those clicks making it a PITA to listen to them.

Sorry for my lengthy posting,

D$

Guest Darksoul71

@w0uter:

I dislike using an array to "package" variable of different "types" ;)

In a "normal" programing language I would use a struct / record for this.

-D$