Weird Browser Issue

Go to solution Solved by guinness,

Im running a test to make sure browsers connect properly to the internet like this

If ProcessExists('iexplore.exe') Then ProcessClose('iexplore.exe')
            If ProcessExists('chrome.exe') Then ProcessClose('chrome.exe')
            If ProcessExists('firefox.exe') Then ProcessClose('firefox.exe')
            Sleep(200)
            ShellExecuteWait('iexplore.exe')
            Sleep(200)
            If FileExists(@ProgramFilesDir & '\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe') Then ShellExecuteWait('chrome.exe')
            Sleep(200)
            If FileExists(@ProgramFilesDir & '\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe') Then ShellExecuteWait('firefox.exe')
            Sleep(200)
            If Not ProcessExists('iexplore.exe') Or Not ProcessExists('chrome.exe') Or Not ProcessExists('firefox.exe') Then
                Switch MsgBox($MB_YESNO + $MB_ICONWARNING + $MB_DEFBUTTON2, 'Browsers Check', 'Did All Browsers Work')
                    Case $IDYES
                        GUICtrlSetImage($BrowserIcon, $tick)
                        RegWrite('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Simple', 'Browser', 'REG_SZ', _Date_Time_SystemTimeToDateTimeStr($CuDate))
                    Case $IDNO
                        GUICtrlSetImage($BrowserIcon, $cross)
                        RegWrite('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Simple', 'Browser', 'REG_SZ', 'NotCompleted')
                EndSwitch
            EndIf

But it hangs like a git between 

Sleep(200)
            If FileExists(@ProgramFilesDir & '\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe') Then ShellExecuteWait('chrome.exe')

If i reduce it to this

Sleep(200)
;~          If FileExists(@ProgramFilesDir & '\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe') Then 
                ShellExecuteWait('chrome.exe')
            Sleep(200)
;~          If FileExists(@ProgramFilesDir & '\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe') Then 
                ShellExecuteWait('firefox.exe')

Its instant but then it gives an error that firefox cant be found if its not installed

Any suggestions how to stop this hanging

for a start, Chrome spawns more than 1 chrome.exe process which are not all always closes just because the browser is.

And so bearing that in mind, you might want to rethink this line

If ProcessExists('chrome.exe') Then ProcessClose('chrome.exe')

and maybe the others too.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I assume you mean just close them and don't worry about if they exist?

That parts mainly just in case a window has been left open at the start of the test

Ok i see what your saying

I tried this but its not removing them like i thought it should the array display is there but no close

Local $ChromeTest = ProcessList('chrome.exe')
            _ArrayDisplay($ChromeTest)
            If IsArray($ChromeTest) =1 Then
                ConsoleWrite("start remove")
                For $Loop = 1 To $ChromeTest[0]
                    ProcessClose($ChromeTest[$Loop])
                Next
                ConsoleWrite("end remove")
            EndIf

what did i miss?

edit i had #requireadmin on when its off i get this

Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.:
For $Loop = 1 To ^ ERROR

tried this as well

If IsArray($ChromeTest) Then
                ConsoleWrite("start remove" & @CRLF)
                    ProcessClose($ChromeTest[$Loop])
                Next
                ConsoleWrite("end remove" & @CRLF)
            Else
                ConsoleWrite("no remove" & @CRLF)
            EndIf
Edited by Chimaera

Right after some messing about ive got to this

For $Loop = 1 To $ChromeTest[1][1]
                    ProcessClose($ChromeTest[$Loop][1])
                Next
            EndIf

this closes all the chrome windows

But ive hit another error after it does

Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.:
ProcessClose($ChromeTest[$Loop][1])
ProcessClose(^ ERROR

Now im guessing that is because it runs out of things to do but shouldnt it just exit after the last one?

EDIT

maybe this

For $Loop = 1 To $ChromeTest[1][1]
                    Local $test = ProcessClose($ChromeTest[$Loop][1])
                    If $test = 0 Then ExitLoop
                Next
            EndIf

That seems to work

Do you think i should terminate all of the three browsers in a similar fashion?

Edited by Chimaera

• Solution

Are you sure the count is located at $ChromeTest[1][1]? Don't you mean $ChromeTest[0][0]? Plus don't declare variables inside loops, this is a performance bottleneck as AutoIt re-declares on each iteration.

Oh and re-read the help file for ProcessList, as an array is ALWAYS returned so it's pointless checking if it's an array with IsArray() as that will always be true.

Local $aList = ProcessList('chrome.exe')
If $aList[0][0] > 0 Then ; An array is returned and @error is NEVER set, so lets check the count.
    _ArrayDisplay($aList)
    Local $bIsProcessClosed = False ; Declare a variable to hold a boolean.
    For $i = 1 To $aList[0][0]
        $bIsProcessClosed =  ProcessClose($aList[$i][1]) ; In AutoIt 0 or 1 can be considered boolean too. It's like a bit in SQL or in C, where 1 and 0 means true or false.
        If $bIsProcessClosed Then ExitLoop ; Exit the loop.
    Next
EndIf

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I started on [0][0] but it only removed one chrome.exe so i figured it was because it was because the name was the same in the entire array so i swopped to [1][1] which i figured was PID and they were all different

At least thats how i read it $aArray[1][1] = 1st Process ID (PID)

Is there an issue now?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Great. Just look at the code and match with what the help file says to further enforce understanding.

UDF List:

Well no disrespect to guinness but that is definitely the smallest answer :)

Does one have any advantage over the other?, they both seem equally quick

No disrespect whatsoever. I was just fixing the code you provided and was in no way coming up with a better solution.

UDF List:

Lol i thought i was doing so well there to get as far as i did then John owns us on the end :)

One small thought on While/Wend if i may

It would never enter my head to use that like John did i've always thought it was only there just for the gui and buttons to make it work.

I remember years ago trying 2 of them in a script and it got in a right mess so i left it holding the Gui together and just assumed that was the only way to use it

If you take If $bIsProcessClosed Then ExitLoop out of that snippet (translated from your version) then it's less processor heavy compared to JohnOne's version. As ProcessExists() can be a bottleneck on occasions, just asked BrewManNH.

Edited by guinness

UDF List: