Label set with $WS_EX_TOPMOST and $GUI_ONTOP is hidden when I mouse over control.

I have a button over top of which I want to sometimes place a label.  I set the label's extended style to $WS_EX_TOPMOST.  However, the problem is when I hover over that button, the label is then hidden behind the button.  This seems counter intuitive.

Is this an issue with Autoit or something I'm doing wrong?  Is there a workaround?  Finally, should this be reported as a bug?

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Const $SIZENWSE = 12

GUICreate("Repro")

GUICtrlCreateButton("Hover Over Me!", 10, 10, 90, 90)

Const $h_box = GuiCtrlCreateLabel('', 8, 8, 15, 15, $SS_BLACKRECT, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)

GUICtrlSetState($h_box, $GUI_ONTOP)

GuiCtrlSetCursor($h_box, $SIZENWSE)

GuiSetState(@SW_SHOWNORMAL)

Do
    Switch GUIGetMsg()            
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch
Until False

Edit: latest beta on Windows 7 x64.

Edited by jaberwacky

On 8.1 the label is always behind no matter what. I found that by placing GuiSetState(@SW_SHOWNORMAL) after GUICreate() displayed the label above the button. As for the fix I don't really know.

Code I was playing around with:

Example()

Func Example()
    Local Const $SIZENWSE = 12

Local Const $hGUI = GUICreate("Repro")

GUISetState(@SW_SHOWNORMAL, $hGUI)

Local Const $idButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Hover Over Me!", 10, 10, 90, 90)

Local Const $idLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel('', 8, 8, 15, 15, $SS_BLACKRECT)

GUICtrlSetState($idLabel, $GUI_ONTOP)

GUICtrlSetCursor($idLabel, $SIZENWSE)

Do
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop

Case $GUI_EVENT_MOUSEMOVE
                If GUIGetCursorInfo($hGUI)[4] = $idButton Then
                    GUICtrlSetState($idLabel, $GUI_SHOW + $GUI_ONTOP)
                    ConsoleWrite("BUTTON " & @MSEC & @CRLF)
                EndIf
        EndSwitch
    Until False

GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

The code I posted doesn't really fix anything and GUI stuff isn't my forte.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Still much appreciated.

Turns out if I disable the button, I get the effect I was after.  This will work in my particular instance.

Spammer above has been reported.

Edited by jaberwacky

What does it look like? As I don't see the label ontop of the button in Windows 8.1, or I could have misunderstood.

UDF List:

After all, I just decided to move away from having the label over the button.  I went back to having it be on the outside of the button.  It's easier this way.  :P

The label is permanently hidden when running 3.3.12.0 but the label is on top when running 3.3.13.19 but the button steals the focus on hovering.

Don't know a workaround yet.

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

This is probably a better reproducer of the exact behavior I was looking for.  I'm definitely willing to disable the button if needed.

Example()

Func Example()
    Local Const $hGUI = GUICreate("Repro")

Local Const $idButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Hover Over Me!", 10, 10, 90, 90)

Local Const $idLabel[4] = [GUICtrlCreateLabel('', 10, 10, 15, 15, $SS_BLACKRECT), _
                               GUICtrlCreateLabel('', 85, 10, 15, 15, $SS_BLACKRECT), _
                               GUICtrlCreateLabel('', 10, 85, 15, 15, $SS_BLACKRECT), _
                               GUICtrlCreateLabel('', 85, 85, 15, 15, $SS_BLACKRECT)]

Local Const $SIZENESW = 10, $SIZENWSE = 12

GUICtrlSetCursor($idLabel[0], $SIZENWSE)
    GUICtrlSetCursor($idLabel[1], $SIZENESW)
    GUICtrlSetCursor($idLabel[2], $SIZENESW)
    GUICtrlSetCursor($idLabel[3], $SIZENWSE)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOWNORMAL, $hGUI)

Do
        Switch GUIGetMsg()  
            Case $GUI_EVENT_MOUSEMOVE               
                Switch GUIGetCursorInfo($hGUI)[4]                   
                    Case $idLabel[0], $idLabel[1], $idLabel[2], $idLabel[3], $idButton
                        GUICtrlSetState($idButton, $GUI_DISABLE)

Case Else
                        GUICtrlSetState($idButton, $GUI_ENABLE)
                EndSwitch

Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch
    Until False

GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Scratch that: come to think of it, if the button is disabled then I won't be able to detect button clicks.

Edited by jaberwacky

If I look to Form Builder it uses SysTabControl32 around the button for the resizing.

Might be a good idea to have a look to Form Builder or ISN Auto It Studio how it was implemented the GUI builder stuff.

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ