Text in window problem

Bert

Ok, I got a real good one for you to try.

I use Unicenter Servicedesk to get my tickets so I can run my service calls. I use the Web-based version. For those of you who are know this software, you know that to do queries require everything to be typed in EXACTLY, for the thing is cap sensitive.

I wrote a script to run my queries, which works great. It just has one drawback, which I would love to fix.

I can not for the life of me capture any text inside the window so I can determine when to run a send command.

I wrote this script in a experiment to see if I could see any text in the window I wanted to control. What I discovered was odd, in that the script would work ONLY if my mouse pointer was over the word I was trying to capture. Here is the script:

AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)
IF WinExists("Unicenter ServicePlus Service Desk", "Popup search window for group") == 1 then
MsgBox(0, "", "Window was active")
endif

This will show the msgBox ONLY if my mouse pointer is on the correct spot in the window. I can't use the mouse information to solve this, for if the window is resized, or moved, it would break. I plan to let other users use this script.

I know Unicenter is written in Java, and if I try to view the source code for any window I have open, it is all the same.

My question is this: How can I capture the text I need when it is only visible when the mouse pointer is on it? ;)

Have you tried using the Window Info tool? (There should be a shortcut to it in the AutoIt Start menu group.) That will tell you the window text as you hover the mouse over the window.

If this method fails (using the window text) maybe you should try using ControlGetText to grab text in a control in the window.

ben

I tried that. It didn't tell me anything that I could use. I can tab between fields, and there is no change in the information provided in the Window Info window. If I put the mouse cursor over the text I want to capture, then the information in the Window Info window will change.

scratching my head on this one.....

How about maximising the window in your script, then use BlockInput to stop the users moving the mouse elsewhere, and MouseMove to move to the correct point in the window? It's a horrible hack, but maybe it will work. And what about ControlGetText - did that tell you anything?

ben

How about maximising the window in your script, then use BlockInput to stop the users moving the mouse elsewhere, and MouseMove to move to the correct point in the window? It's a horrible hack, but maybe it will work. And what about ControlGetText - did that tell you anything?

ben

yeah it sounds like you're going to have to do some manual sizing etc...maybe something like this....

Dim $desired[5]
$desired[0] = 4
$desired[1] = 0;this is the X position that you want the window to have
$desired[2] = 0; this is the y position that you want the window to have.
$desired[3] = 100; this is the width that you want the window to have.
$desired[4] = 100; this is the height that you want the window to have.
$state = WinGetState("Your Window Title")
If BitAND($state,32) or BitAND($state,16) Then WinSetState("Your Window Title",@SW_RESTORE)
WinMove("Your Window Title","",$desired[1],$desired[2],$desired[3],$desired[4])
i suggest this instead of the maximizing proposed earlier, just because coordinates will still be off after maximizing depending on screen resolution...