3 button question vs 1 button with popup question

Ok not particularly a solve needed more advice i guess

Im building a gui with lots of buttons on it (prob 100)

Now each of them has a choice scenario (Yes/No/NA) mostly, i've managed to automate quite a few of them but some are manual checks a tech has to perform.

And here is the problem

I don't know which is the best way to do it from these 2 examples

Should i create three button one for each choice like this

Case $TimeButton
            Local $SetTime = _SyncTime()
            GUICtrlSetImage($TimeIcon, $tick)
            RegWrite('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Simple', 'Time', 'REG_SZ', _Date_Time_SystemTimeToDateTimeStr($CuDate))
        Case $TimeButton2
            GUICtrlSetImage($TimeIcon, $cross)
            RegWrite('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Simple', 'Time', 'REG_SZ', 'NotCompleted')
            ShellExecute('timedate.cpl')
        Case $TimeButton2
            GUICtrlSetImage($TimeIcon, $cross)
            RegWrite('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Simple', 'Time', 'REG_SZ', 'NotAvailable')

This obviously increases my button count in a major way

Or do i create a single button with a Yes/No/Cancel checkbox behind it like this

Local $MicCheck = MsgBox($MB_YESNOCANCEL + $MB_ICONWARNING + $MB_DEFBUTTON2, 'Microphone Test', 'Does The Microphone Work')
            If $MicCheck = $IDCANCEL Then
                RegWrite('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Simple', 'Microphone', 'REG_SZ', 'NotAvailable')
                GUICtrlSetImage($MicIcon, $maybe)
            ElseIf $MicCheck = $IDYES Then
                GUICtrlSetImage($MicIcon, $tick)
                RegWrite('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Simple', 'Microphone', 'REG_SZ', _Date_Time_SystemTimeToDateTimeStr($CuDate))
            ElseIf $MicCheck = $IDNO Then
                GUICtrlSetImage($MicIcon, $cross)
                RegWrite('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Simple', 'Microphone', 'REG_SZ', 'NotCompleted')
            EndIf

Obviously these are chopped out as examples

So which is the most sensible way to go, my boss likes a button for each choice but im not sure due to the amount of creation needed

Any thoughts?

@John Not always..

Another thought that occured to me

If ive got 6 tabs with 20-50 buttons per tab is there a limit on the While Wend that has to contain them all.

Or is it the more i add it will take 10 mins to load the GUI?

Edited by Chimaera

Sounds like you need checkboxes, or radio controls more than you need all these buttons. It sounds massively inefficient doing whatever it is you're doing with that many buttons.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Ok i hadn't considered Checkboxes,ill mock up a few and see how it looks

This is the current one just for Ref

post-60350-0-41995200-1426836270_thumb.p

The cross changes based on the choice. N/A gives a different coloured tick because its been checked but it was unavailable like a dcjack on a desktop isnt there but on a laptop is valid

Edited by Chimaera

For something like your image, I'd use 3 radio controls, because you only can have one legitimate option for that. It's either yes, no, or n/a, it can't be yes AND no or any other combination.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Its a shame you cant tie 3 controls under 1 header so they work together so it can only be one choice out of three circles

I was trying to get them more old school but i cant seem to find a way to make them more basic and have no background

but then something melba gave me for groups i inadvertanly used it on a radio box like this

Local $FNKeysButton = GUICtrlCreateRadio('Yes', 595, 189, 45, 30)
_Font()
DllCall('UxTheme.dll', 'int', 'SetWindowTheme', 'hwnd', GUICtrlGetHandle($FNKeysButton), 'wstr', 0, 'wstr', 0)

and it gives me this

post-60350-0-48997600-1426874330_thumb.p

Is there a way to make the radios like the bottom example in the pic through normal settings

Or am i safe using the melba addon for radios?

Personally, I would use the button method. I think both are great but I think the button method is best. Sometimes you just have alot of buttons.

I dont think anything about 200 or less button checks in a loop is going to have much effect but if your concerned. Do them in sections.

One gui screen has 20 options, next has 20 etc. Then they just flip through them and then the loops should be faster.

Its a shame you cant tie 3 controls under 1 header so they work together so it can only be one choice out of three circles

Of course you can, you put the linked ones inside a group, if you want the group outline use GUICtrlCreateGroup, without the line use GUIStartGroup.

This script will create 2 groups  of radio buttons and the 2 different groups don't interact with each other.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    GUICreate("My GUI radio") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered
    GUIStartGroup()
    Local $idRadio1 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Radio 1", 10, 10, 120, 20)
    Local $idRadio2 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Radio 2", 10, 40, 120, 20)
    GUICtrlSetState($idRadio2, $GUI_CHECKED)
    GUIStartGroup()
    Local $idRadio3 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Radio 3", 200, 10, 120, 20)
    Local $idRadio4 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Radio 4", 200, 40, 120, 20)
    GUICtrlSetState($idRadio3, $GUI_CHECKED)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; will display an  dialog box with 1 checkbox

Local $idMsg
    ; Loop until the user exits.
    While 1
        $idMsg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
            Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
            Case $idMsg = $idRadio1 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio1), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'You clicked the Radio 1 and it is Checked.')
            Case $idMsg = $idRadio2 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio2), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'You clicked on Radio 2 and it is Checked.')
            Case $idMsg = $idRadio3 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio3), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'You clicked the Radio 3 and it is Checked.')
            Case $idMsg = $idRadio4 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio4), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'You clicked on Radio 4 and it is Checked.')
        EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example
Edited by BrewManNH

Well bugger me ive never ever seen that option lol

edit probably because i dont use radio options

Thx ill see what i can come up with

Example()

Func Example()
    GUICreate("My GUI radio") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered
    GUIStartGroup()
    Local $idRadio1 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Yes", 10, 10, 40, 20)
    Local $idRadio2 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("No", 50, 10, 40, 20)
    Local $idRadio3 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("N/A", 90, 10, 40, 20)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

Local $idMsg
    While 1
        $idMsg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
            Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
            Case $idMsg = $idRadio1 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio1), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'Set Yes',1)
            Case $idMsg = $idRadio2 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio2), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'Set No.',1)
            Case $idMsg = $idRadio3 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio3), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'Set N/A.',1)
        EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Something i dont get.

I see that the 3 are tied together in the gui but on the cases they still need adding as single entities, is there a way to make it so i can only add 1 Case but it gives the choice whatever it maybe from the group?

Or am i thinking of this the wrong way?

Edited by Chimaera

Without knowing what you're going to do with the GUI and the radio buttons I can't really say for sure what you need to do. If you are just looking to see if there was a change you can do it this way.

Example()

Func Example()
    GUIStartGroup()
    Local $idRadio1 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Yes", 10, 10, 40, 20)
    Local $idRadio2 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("No", 50, 10, 40, 20)
    Local $idRadio3 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("N/A", 90, 10, 40, 20)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

Local $idMsg
    While 1
        $idMsg = GUIGetMsg()
        Switch $idMsg
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
            Case $idRadio1, $idRadio2, $idRadio3
                If GUICtrlRead($idRadio1) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
                    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'Set Yes', 1)
                ElseIf GUICtrlRead($idRadio2) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
                    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'Set No.', 1)
                ElseIf GUICtrlRead($idRadio3) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
                    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'Set N/A.', 1)
                EndIf
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Sorry i should have said 

each set of three radios (Yes No N/A) has only one outcome of the three

And i change a label based upon that outcome

Like your example

I didnt know you could tie three things under one case

Thx ill have a trail tommoz at work when i get time

Edited by Chimaera

Just take notice that I changed it from a Select/Case to a Switch/Case.