Over moderation

Hello,

I understand the mods here have a job to do, but I do want to point out that occasionally you guys make judgements too quickly, and it can have a negative effect on the community when mistakes are made.

For example:

A previous post of mine

EDIT: Wow, I am careless. I found the problem. I used the OR logical operator incorrectly. I needed to restate the variable like this:

If $hparr[$i] = 16768669 Or $hparr[$i] = 15849372 Then $playercount += 1

NOT like this:

If $hparr[$i] = 16768669 Or 15849372 Then $playercount += 1

The difference is that the latter is interpreted as: "If this color is gold OR if 15849372 = 15849372 then do this.

was locked by SmOke_N for merely containing the word "playercount" and "gold." 

Gold + Player Count = Forum Rules

However, what I'm actually talking about is GOLD THE COLOR (16768669) and P-Layer Count (Used in my script for counting the objects in a layer labeled P).

I'm sure this was an honest mistake, so no hard feelings, but jumping the gun based on mere variable names is a little harsh. Particularly when the rest of the code clearly shows in context that the purpose is within forum regulations.

After a certain point, attempts to enforce the rules can cause your community to seem unwelcoming to new members. Please be more patient in the future.

Calling a moderator out like this is against the forum rules.

Believe it or not.

Sheesh. Didn't mean to call anyone out, but you can't message on this forum as far as I can see (I tried that first) and my original thread was locked. As a new member, I wasn't sure what else to do.

They should fix that instead of making silly rules.

• Moderators

MarksRobert,

Only yourself to blame in my opinion - the Forum rules (there is also a link at bottom right of each page) are quite clear and using those variable names most definitely gave the impression that you were writing a bot. I have only just looked at the thread as a result of your post and I would locked it too. If you use "game" sounding variable names, you run the risk of being misinterpreted - and contrary to your protestations there is little in the rest your code to make it obvious that you are not botting. ;)

And while I take your point re "too quick", I hope you appreciate that there is also a "too late" penalty as well and we tread a fine line. Sorry you fell on the wrong side and a belated "Welcome to the AutoIt forum". :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

MarksRobert,

Only yourself to blame in my opinion - the Forum rules (there is also a link at bottom right of each page) are quite clear and using those variable names most definitely gave the impression that you were writing a bot. I have only just looked at the thread as a result of your post and I would locked it too. If you use "game" sounding variable names, you run the risk of being misinterpreted - and contrary to your protestations there is little in the rest your code to make it obvious that you are not botting. ;)

And while I take your point re "too quick", I hope you appreciate that there is also a "too late" penalty as well and we tread a fine line. Sorry you fell on the wrong side and a belated "Welcome to the AutoIt forum". :)

M23

Just an FYI, your link is blank, but I found it through another link.

I apologize. It is written clearly there. 

Two recommendations:

1) Format the rules to contain bold font on key parts (like EULAs, most people skim rather than read)

2) Have a link to PM the moderator who locked the thread in his signature or together with the post.

Both of these things together will severely reduce the grunt work for you Mods, while also improving relations. Nobody likes being slapped on the wrist for something that isn't common sense and the idea of having to prove yourself innocent is silly.

Edited by MarksRobert

JohnOne,

it has been stated many times that you need at least 5 posts before you can PM other members ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

MarksRobert,

Sorry about the link - the recent roll-back has blanked the "Forum rules" page. Something we need to look at urgently. :ohmy:

Nobody likes being slapped on the wrist for something that isn't common sense

As I have told you above, it was common sense on our part - even if you do not agree. ;)

They should fix that instead of making silly rules

Our forum, our rules - if you do not like the rules, go elsewhere. An attitude like yours which basically says "Change your ways because I do not like them" will not make you many friends here - I suggest you modify it PDQ. :naughty:

M23

Edit; Rules link fixed. :)

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Given the scarcity with which this subject comes up and the foolishness of trying to legislate for fringe cases, I would say that the Mods are doing "just right"!

Never said the mods are doing anything less, that's just projection on your part.

Just suggesting a slight improvement, given that everyone is expected to read and adhere to the rules.

The way I see it, I'm not going to dismiss a possible bug in my code because it's only going to occur occasionally.

If I identify the possibility I'm going to legislate for it, and applying the same logic.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

MarksRobert,

As I have told you above, it was common sense on our part - even if you do not agree. ;)

Common sense is something shared, it doesn't work one way. Hence "common." 

Our forum, our rules - if you do not like the rules, go elsewhere. An attitude like yours which basically says "Change your ways because I do not like them" will not make you many friends here - I suggest you modify it PDQ.

A. Forums belong to the community as a whole (which of course includes mods). Good moderation is a servant leader role, it wouldn't kill you to be friendly.

B. I've pointed out three bugs in your system that together make the rules absolutely impossible for a new forum member to adhere (aside from sheer luck). I'm trying to nicely "suggest" you fix them, and also recommended some small changes to improve usability for new community members. Jumping down my throat and making ridiculous presumptions about my ability to make friends is uncalled for and off-topic.

But yes, you have a good point: I should clearly go elsewhere. I'll do that, thanks.

Edited by MarksRobert

• Moderators

MarksRobert,

I should clearly go elsewhere

Fine - your choice. :bye:

M23

Spoiler