Search fails since forum upgrade

qwert

Generally speaking, I'm aware of the recent forum upgrade ... and of the turmoil that proceeded it.  But has anyone reported that Advanced Search no longer returns proper results?

For the first day or two, I figured it was something out of sync on my end.  So I cleared cookies, logged out, etc.  And I've kept watch for some report of this by others.

But now that it continues to fail, I'm beginning to think that maybe some index didn't get rebuilt on the server.

Any news or ideas?

Removed Msg.jpg

Edited by qwert

I just tested with "font size" and "+font +size" and got 155 results, all of them looking fine.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

some finds work others do not work

findBMP or findbmp in all forums normally comes to this link:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

however when I use find BMP (with a space) it finds something. Appaerently source examples is not indexed whereas the message itself is 

searching for fasm (threads with speedy assembly examples) do not work

could it be that stuff within BBCodes is not indexed under some circumstances?

Which database we are running on? indexes corrupted?

Behavior is inconsistent on searches

• COMMON WORD THRESHOLD: Like phpBB2's stopwords feature, you can prevent the use of common words that you specify. However, this feature is expanded upon in phpBB3. You can now control the threshold that a word can have; this means that if a word is contained in more than a certain percentage of posts on your board, it will be deemed as a common word, and will be ignored in search queries. All positive integers are valid values, and represent the percentage of posts on your board words can be contained in. If you would like to disable this threshold and thereby allow searches using all words, even if they can be common, set this value to "0". This setting only applies if your board has more than 100 posts.

I only ever use advanced search if I use it at all, IP board normal search is utter rubbish ...

I agree that Advanced Search is the only way to go ... and the Only Search In Titles option is where most people need to start.

Is there any way to make these the defaults while this upgrade-related work is being done on the board?

Edited by qwert

Jon gives a wrong answer everytime the Sphinx asks a new question.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• 1 month later...

I'd like to mention that Search is still in disarray.  Below is an example of today's results (the abbreviated formatting is my browser's).

With no capability to select which forum to search ... and without the search engine honoring the "+" specifier, I've found that Google Search is the only practical way to find anything.  I had to use it to find this very post.

I consider this loss to be the single biggest setback to the upgrade.

Lost_Search_Capability.thumb.png.30ab5c1