Loop, FilePattern (Transitioning from AutoHotkey)

Go to solution Solved by mikell,

Hello, I am transitioning from AutoHotkey to AutoIt and am looking for a nudge in the right direction with regard to looping through files and folders.  What I would like to do is create a delimited list of certain attributes (filename, path, extension, size, last modified) about all files in network drives.  In AutoHotkey I can use "Loop, FilePattern" to go through every file and folder and pull all the information I need.  How can I go about doing this efficiently in AutoIt?

From what I've learned so far, it appears I'll need to use "FileListToArray" to create an array of filepaths, then loop through the entire array, using "FileGet . . ." for each element.  Is there a better way or am I on the right track?

Please be kind as this is my first post. :)  Thank you!

Welcome to AutoIt and the forum!

I would start with _FileListToArrayRec to recursively list files and/or folders. Then use FileGetAttrib to retrieve the attributes.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thank you water.  My intent is to make a database of all network files, with "Filename", "Extension", "Filepath", "Mod. Date", and "Size (kb)" headings.  My code for doing just my desktop is below, but I'm a bit disappointed in how much time it takes to complete (~25 seconds).  FYI, I have 5,208 files on my desktop and in subfolders.  Is there anything I can do/change to make it run more quickly?

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>

$aFileList = _FileListToArrayRec(@DesktopDir,"*",0,1,0,2)
Local $aDBList[0][5]
Local $sDrive = "", $sDir = "", $sFilename = "", $sExtension = ""
_ArrayAdd($aDBList,$aFileList[0])
For $nCt = 1 To $aFileList[0]
   $sFileSize = Ceiling(FileGetSize($aFileList[$nCt])/1024)
   $sFileModDate = FileGetTime($aFileList[$nCt],0,1)
   _PathSplit($aFileList[$nCt], $sDrive, $sDir, $sFilename, $sExtension)
   $sDBListRow = $sFilename & $sExtension & "|" & $sExtension & "|" & $sDrive & $sDir & "|" & $sFileModDate & "|" & $sFileSize
   _ArrayAdd($aDBList,$sDBListRow)
Next
_ArrayDisplay($aDBList)

The output doesn't necessarily need to be an array; a delimited text file would suffice as well.

Thank you!

• Solution

This is a bit faster

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>

$aFileList = _FileListToArrayRec(@DesktopDir,"*",0,1,0,2)
Local $aDBList[100000][5]
Local $sDrive = "", $sDir = "", $sFilename = "", $sExtension = ""
$aDBList[0][0] = $aFileList[0]
For $nCt = 1 To $aFileList[0]
   $sFileSize = Ceiling(FileGetSize($aFileList[$nCt])/1024)
   $sFileModDate = FileGetTime($aFileList[$nCt],0,1)
   _PathSplit($aFileList[$nCt], $sDrive, $sDir, $sFilename, $sExtension)
   $aDBList[$nCt][0] = $sFilename & $sExtension
   $aDBList[$nCt][1] = $sExtension
   $aDBList[$nCt][2] = $sDrive & $sDir
   $aDBList[$nCt][3] = $sFileModDate
   $aDBList[$nCt][4] = $sFileSize
Next
Redim $aDBList[$nCt][5]
_ArrayDisplay($aDBList)

• Moderators

Imbecility,

The Recursion tutorial in the Wiki shows in the final example how best to fill an array whose final size is not known. Basically you keep doubling it in size when you fill it. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

mikell,

If you initially create the array with an enormous number of elements that may well be possible, but then you could run into memory problems if it was truly gigantic and you had a lot of other data to store. Personally I prefer a reasonable initial size followed by doubling when necessary. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Should be Local $aDBList[$aFileList[0]+1][5]  but of course you are right

This is a too-quickly-done-script  oversight  :P

Edit

Funny, nobody but you saw this

I had actually already editted my code to be like this, as my next test was my entire C-drive and the 100,000 amount wasn't high enough.

I am extremely pleased with the results!  I had been using Autohotkey (an still am until I convert the code over) to create local and network databases.  It took ~1h:20m to process just under 200,000 files in Autohotkey, but just under 30s for just over 200,000 files in AutoIt - that's 160x faster... :blink: I'm sure my Autohotkey code could have been optimized for efficiency, but it appears there will be no need to pursue that!

Needless to say, I'm now a believer! :ILA2: