Solution Unable to open the script file...?

Have you looked at creating an exception for the folder you are compiling in, with the AV?

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

• 2 weeks later...

First I want to apologize for my rather rude post. I was in a bad mood due to closing a newly opened bug right away.

In our company we use AV: Trend Micro Office Scan V10.6

Additionally we use Cloud based storage (like DropBox):  https://www.syncplicity.com/ which I now think may also be the source of problems. I can check that, because I think I can unload syncplicity (unlike AV which I cannot unload).

I will report my findings here.

I recommend to generate a error message if the problematic file generation fails, because in the current state everything seems ok until the user starts the generated EXE file. The error message "unable to open script file" doesn't lead you directly to AV/dropbox or similar problem sources.

Edited by TwoBeSeen

• Developers

I recommend to generate a error message if the problematic file generation fails, because in the current state everything seems ok until the user starts the generated EXE file. The error message "unable to open script file" doesn't lead you directly to AV/dropbox or similar problem sources.

I am not so sure the script isn't included in the first place, but you are the only one that can verify that by looking at the PE Header for RCDATA/"SCRIPT"  and see if it contains data.

Jos

PS:

First I want to apologize for my rather rude post. I was in a bad mood due to closing a newly opened bug right away.

This was my reply in your report:

Have you tried without your Anti Virus switched on?
Either way, please come to our forum to discuss your issue interactively, as I am 99.999% sure this is not a bug.

Jos

I would say it is pretty mild with an open invitation to come here for a dialog so your first post is totally unjustified and would recommend finding another way to cool down before posting to ensure your emotions don't take over.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I have the same problem here. Tried a simple "MsgBox(0, ""; "Hello World")" script:

• Tested with AutoIt 3.3.12.0 and 3.3.15.0
  • No problem when compiled for 64 bit
  • Above error message when compiled for 32 bit
  • File size changes between 637kb when it doesn't work and 640 kb when it works
  • After trying it 5 to 10 times the script compiles correct and runs without error message
  • Excluded aut2exe.exe and Autoit3.exe as well as directory %LocalAppData%\AutoIt v3 from Trend Micro

But still get the same "unable to open script file" error message.

Which tool do I need to check the PE Header for RCDATA/"SCRIPT"?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Developers

Which tool do I need to check the PE Header for RCDATA/"SCRIPT"?

I use "CFF Explorer" but you can also use reshacker.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Thanks, will check tomorrow.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

This is a Reshacker screenshot of a working script with section RCData/Script present:Hello_World_-_3.3.12.0_-_WORKING.thumb.p

and a screenshot of a non working script with a lot of sections missing:Hello_World_-_3.3.12.0_-_NOT_WORKING.thu

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Problem solved!
Behavior Monitoring has to be disabled for Aut2Exe.exe.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Developers

So it does look like the script get removed at "compilation" time and you don't get any error from aut2exe
It could be that it is removed right after it was added an aut2exe is unaware of it being removed.

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

No error messages from aut2exe. Trend Micro as well wasn't configured to log those actions (by default?).
I'm an ordinary user in this respect and was glad that our AV guys had a look and finaly a solution for this problem.
So this is a documentation for future users facing the same problem :)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Developers

No error messages from aut2exe. Trend Micro as well wasn't configured to log those actions (by default?).
I'm an ordinary user in this respect and was glad that our AV guys had a look and finaly a solution for this problem.
So this is a documentation for future users facing the same problem :)

The problem i guess is that aut2exe completes successfully after which the AV programs rips it out again, because else think the AUT2EXE will show an error in case it is unable to add it to the PE header.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

The problem i guess is that aut2exe completes successfully after which the AV programs rips it out again, because else think the AUT2EXE will show an error in case it is unable to add it to the PE header.

Jos

That's how I see it as well.
Do you think it would be useful to collect such strange behavior by security tools and the solution in a separate thread or wiki article?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Developers

That's how I see it as well.Do you think it would be useful to collect such strange behavior by security tools and the solution in a separate thread or wiki article?

We might want to add it to the original post in the pinned topic we have on are-my-autoit-exes-really-infected.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Added a post to the "are-my-autoit-exes-really-infected" thread explaining the problem and pointing to this thread for the details.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Same here. Our local AV admin played with the system until he found the problem 😊

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if the IT guy changed it back for some reason, he isn't here today, but I'm again unable to compile scripts, same thing.  But I found a workaround:  I had observed that if I tried over and over, once in several dozen attempts it would compile successfully, which is was easy to see as the resultant exe was larger.  I started writing a script to compile it using the command line, check the file size, and continue looping until the script was larger than 1MB (the file size was around 800K when it fails).  However, even before I put the loop code in I discovered that it worked every time when done from my preliminary script:

$scriptfile = FileOpenDialog("Select file to compile", @ScriptDir & "\", "Script files (*.au3)")
ShellExecuteWait("C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2exe.exe", '/in "' & $scriptfile & '"', @scriptdir & "\")

Correction, it doesn't work every time, I guess I was just lucky yesterday.  But the loop works:

$scriptfile = FileOpenDialog("Select file to compile", @ScriptDir & "\", "Script files (*.au3)")
Do
    ShellExecuteWait("C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2exe.exe", '/in "' & $scriptfile & '"', @ScriptDir & "\")
    $exefile = StringTrimRight($scriptfile, 3) & "exe"
    ConsoleWrite("file size of " & $exefile & " is " & FileGetSize($exefile) & @CRLF)
Until FileGetSize($exefile) > 1000000

which gives me:

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "P:\Alicat\compilefile.au3" /UserParams    
+>10:19:05 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.15.729.1555.1 SciTE v.3.5.4.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_7/Service Pack 1  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0409)
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper   SCITE_USERHOME => C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE 
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.1)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3  input:P:\Alicat\compilefile.au3
+>10:19:05 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.1):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "P:\Alicat\compilefile.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
file size of P:\Alicat\A58 160209-1.exe is 855040
file size of P:\Alicat\A58 160209-1.exe is 1277440
+>10:19:25 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>10:19:25 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 20.57

So this time it took four tries.  Still better than almost never working from SciTE.

Others might need a different size limit... my script in this case is over 1000 lines with multiple includes.