Determining Windows Version? @OSVersion Returns

Go to solution Solved by JohnOne,

FileGetVersion(@SystemDir & "Winver.exe") is the only one that is working! The second Registry Key by Deathbringer is working on XP above but in compatibility mode it shows the OS that it is being run in. Also, anything that retrieves the version from Kernel32.dll >> GetVersionEx is affected. I learnt something today! :x

Regards,

I think GetVersionEx is no deprecated

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

It makes sense though that the Windows tools that indicate the version are modified by compatibility mode, right? To "fool" applications that base checks on the windows version...

But indeed:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724451%28v=vs.85%29.aspx:

[GetVersionEx may be altered or unavailable for releases after Windows 8.1. Instead, use the Version Helper APIs]

... on to the version helper apis: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn424972(v=vs.85).aspx

Nice suite of functions. Doesn't seem to support Windows 9 tech preview, but maybe you can use the "goalkeeper-function" IsWindowsVersionOrGreater:

BOOL WINAPI IsWindowsVersionOrGreater(
  WORD wMajorVersion,
  WORD wMinorVersion,
  WORD wServicePackMajor
);

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

I thought Windows 9 moved to Windows 10? As it supports the tech preview called Windows 10.

I doubt Microsoft are going to support a tech preview which I outdated.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I agree, I thought so too. I wouldn't expect a function supporting a discarded version name that no one should be running. But who knows... If it exists it exists, and maybe the IsWindowsVersionOrGreater will tell you about it :)

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

Was Windows 9 ever released officially? I don't recall ever seeing it, I heard rumors about it before they renamed it to 10, but I don't know that it was an official release of a beta was it? If Microsoft never released a version called Windows 9, I wouldn't expect any software to be obligated to detecting it.

Also, if you're using Windows 9 (official or not) you should update it to the latest technical preview of 10, because after all, it's a beta that is probably buggy as hell.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

What function AutoIT used to determine OSVersion?

GetVersion() or GetVersionEx() function in the kernel32.dll ?

as always need to use the search field in the forum

will have to be

Local $OSVERSIONINFOEX = DllStructCreate("dword OSVersionInfoSize;dword MajorVersion;dword MinorVersion;dword BuildNumber;dword PlatformId;char CSDVersion[128];word ServicePackMajor;word ServicePackMinor;ushort SuiteMask;BYTE ProductType")
    DllStructSetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "OSVersionInfoSize", DllStructGetSize($OSVERSIONINFOEX))
    Local $retVal = DllCall("Ntdll.dll", "INT", "GetVersion", "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($OSVERSIONINFOEX))
    If @Error Then
        $OSVERSIONINFOEX = FileGetVersion(@SystemDir & "\ntoskrnl.exe")
        If @Error Then $OSVERSIONINFOEX = FileGetVersion(@SystemDir & "\winver.exe")
        If @Error Then $OSVERSIONINFOEX = RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion", "CurrentVersion")
        $OSMajorVersion = StringLeft($OSVERSIONINFOEX, 1)
        $OSMinorVersion = StringMid($OSVERSIONINFOEX, 3, 1)
        $OSCurrentVersion = $OSMajorVersion & "." & $OSMinorVersion
        $OSServicePackMajor = StringRight(@OSServicePack, 1)
        $OSServicePackMinor = 0
        $OSBuildNumber = @OSBuild
        $OSCSDVersion = @OSServicePack
        $OSArchitecture = @OSArch
        $OSLanguage = @MUILang
        $OSUserName = @UserName
        $OSSystemDrive = @HomeDrive
        $OSVersionNumber = $OSCurrentVersion & "." & $OSBuildNumber
    Else
        $OSMajorVersion = String(DllStructGetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "MajorVersion"))
        $OSMinorVersion = String(DllStructGetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "MinorVersion"))
        $OSServicePackMajor = String(DllStructGetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "ServicePackMajor"))
        $OSServicePackMinor = String(DllStructGetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "ServicePackMinor"))
        $OSBuildNumber = String(DllStructGetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "BuildNumber"))
        $OSCSDVersion = String(DllStructGetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "CSDVersion"))
        ;;$OSPlatformId = String(DllStructGetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "PlatformId"))
        ;;$OSSuiteMask = String(DllStructGetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "SuiteMask"))
        ;;$OSProductType = String(DllStructGetData($OSVERSIONINFOEX, "ProductType"))
        $OSCurrentVersion = $OSMajorVersion & "." & $OSMinorVersion
        $OSArchitecture = @OSArch
        $OSLanguage = @MUILang
        $OSUserName = @UserName
        $OSSystemDrive = @HomeDrive
        $OSVersionNumber = $OSCurrentVersion & "." & $OSBuildNumber
    EndIf

Windows 9 has never existed exactly for this reason, there is confusion (problems) between WinNT9 and WinNT95 (at least so said microsoft officially)

Ciao.

Edited by DXRW4E

apps-odrive.pngdrive_app_badge.png box-logo.png new_logo.png MEGA_Logo.png

Autoit 3.3.12.19

Windows Technical Preview (Win9)

@OSVersion

Returns WIN_NT

Windows 10 Technical Preview

@OSVersion

Returns WIN_NT4

see if this fits your needs.

Func OsVersion()
    If FileExists(@WindowsDir & '\winver.exe') Then
        Return FileGetVersion(@WindowsDir & '\winver.exe')
    ElseIf FileExists(@WindowsDir & '\System\winver.exe') Then
        Return FileGetVersion(@WindowsDir & '\System\winver.exe')
    ElseIf FileExists(@WindowsDir & '\System32\winver.exe') Then
        Return FileGetVersion(@WindowsDir & '\System32\winver.exe')
    ElseIf FileExists(@WindowsDir & '\SysWOW64\winver.exe') Then
        Return FileGetVersion(@WindowsDir & '\SysWOW64\winver.exe')
    Else
        Return "0.0.0.0"
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>OsVersion

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

just thought i'd throw this in:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

see if this fits your needs.

Func OsVersion()
    If FileExists(@WindowsDir & '\winver.exe') Then
        Return FileGetVersion(@WindowsDir & '\winver.exe')
    ElseIf FileExists(@WindowsDir & '\System\winver.exe') Then
        Return FileGetVersion(@WindowsDir & '\System\winver.exe')
    ElseIf FileExists(@WindowsDir & '\System32\winver.exe') Then
        Return FileGetVersion(@WindowsDir & '\System32\winver.exe')
    ElseIf FileExists(@WindowsDir & '\SysWOW64\winver.exe') Then
        Return FileGetVersion(@WindowsDir & '\SysWOW64\winver.exe')
    Else
        Return "0.0.0.0"
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>OsVersion

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", _WinAPI_PathFindOnPath("winver.exe"))
A better way of finding winver.exe without hardcoding all possible paths. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Good point JohnOne.

UDF List: