MSDN hates XP as much as I do

It appears that the MSDN site has given up totally on supporting XP or assisting those that are still on it. If you do a search for any control reference information on MSDN you'll see that almost all mention of XP has been expunged, and Vista is usually listed as the minimum supported client now. I noticed this the other day when looking up the EM_SETCUEBANNER information, and I've seen it on every listview variable/macro I've looked up as well. So, don't be surprised if you see topics with remarks that say such-and-such setting or variable doesn't work on XP because MSDN says it's Vista+.

Also, don't be surprised if in the future that some of the Windows APIs drop backwards compatibility for supposedly unsupported clients such as XP.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

XP is crap in my opinion, but I understand others like it. Technology has moved on, XP is, or should be, dead. Bury it, say the eulogy, drink a toast to it and embrace the new.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

XP is crap in my opinion, but I understand others like it. Technology has moved on, XP is, or should be, dead. Bury it, say the eulogy, drink a toast to it and embrace the new.

Here here!!!

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

You must have been using it in a way that was never intended or maybe you had a crap version. I think it's time people stopped messing around with all this bigger, better, faster bloat nonesence and actually do some computations. ^^

Edited by czardas

Yes, I was using it on the internet, and with its notable lack of security that probably wasn't the best thing to do with it.

Also, my company is still running their POS system on XP in most of our stores until we can replace them all, so I have to relearn how to do things on XP instead of forgetting it and being more productive. I don't think there's anything that I can do in XP that I can't do in Windows 7, I don't have 8 so I can't speak to it. At least in 7 my browsers still work and are being updated.

Not surprising, XP support ended a year ago yesterday and people are still using it. 

In my case, in my company, we're planning on replacing our POS systems with new software and hardware this year, which is why we didn't make a big push to replace it earlier.

• Moderators

I liked XP, but I see the need to move on. A lot of my customers are in the same boat, with legacy apps. Usually I take one of two approaches:

• Virtualize or containerize the application, so it runs in its own little bubble independent of the OS.
  • Create an XP VM and ensure it is not given any internet capability.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Unfortunately it's not a case of incompatibility, it's a case of we have stores in 50+ locations and no field service support. So it comes down to having to ship everything to the stores to get them replaced, which isn't cost effective if we're only going to be replacing it in a year.

Also, my company is still running their POS system on XP in most of our stores until we can replace them all, so I have to relearn how to do things on XP instead of forgetting it and being more productive. I don't think there's anything that I can do in XP that I can't do in Windows 7, I don't have 8 so I can't speak to it. At least in 7 my browsers still work and are being updated.

Pure guy.

You (as many others) are victim of Microsoft, who need money for new and new versions of not needed and not wanted systems, so they every 2 years create new version of Windows just to get more money. The most changes in new Windows are to bad. People definitely are not more productive in newer Windows as you said! It's exactly opposite way!

I hate all newer Windows after XP.

Yes I can stand Windows7 as it's relatively normal but everything other is crap/shit (Vista,Win8).

With each new Windows there is so much problems (cripled GUI, cripled compatibility, everything good changed to bad) so developers and users of applications have to solve many redundant tasks.

Microsoft does all these changes not for improving OS but only just to have new changed/diferent version to get more money for new sold OS licences.

They just synthetically create previous versions obsolete as soon as possible to force people paying for new licences.

:puke:

Edited by Zedna

Not to derail this topic any further from its original intent, but Windows XP does not do things better. It does it differently, but far from better. The security in XP is very poor, it was created before there was such widespread hacking and attacks so it wasn't built with a security mindset. Windows 7 and up have corrected many past failures in that respect.

Microsoft isn't releasing 10 just to get more money, in fact they're giving it away to anyone that is currently running a modern OS such as 7 and 8 so that argument is just flat out wrong. Also, if you've ever experienced other companies OSs such as Apple, they aren't supporting versions older than 1 or 2 releases back, and some of those are not that old. Linux doesn't offer support to anyone running anything other than the current version for most distributions, or at best the last version prior to the current version. You can pay to have older versions supported, but you won't get it for free.

Installing Windows 7 & the beta for 10 (that I have running in a VM) was a painless process, most drivers are supplied out of the box. It's also a very quick install, less than an hour from start to finish if you have the drivers for anything that might be missing.

You must have been using it in a way that was never intended or maybe you had a crap version. I think it's time people stopped messing around with all this bigger, better, faster bloat nonesence and actually do some computations. ^^

Apart from the copy&paste system, Windows XP was perfect.

I will answer every single PM, and you are free to ask anything anytime.

XP was good for its time. A solid OS but very dated now

Vista was a step into a brave new world, the problem was all the complaints which after 6 months were fixed anyway but the damage was done. 

7 was the XP of its time awesome OS

8/8.1 , 7 tweaked and the only real problem was the interface which cost MS a lot of money

10 is looking good so far but still early days.

I still hear someone every week in the shop moaning about they are getting messages in XP and have to explain to them that support from all major players is being withdrawn so they have to be serious about considering an upgrade before nothing works in XP.

One or Two we convert to Linux Mint if they really dont want to lose the hardware.

Its a thirteen year old OS ish and i cant see any reason that you would want to bury you head and not upgrade.

Also some suppliers are stopping keeping Win 7 from about a month ago so i wouldnt hesitate to long.

Make a move because at some point you wont be able to.

Edited by Chimaera

XP and earlier systems may be what they are, with flaws and insecurity etc etc. Some still like them, and why not. I know of industrial systems in my business area that run off Win 3.1, booting from a flash card.

What really puzzles me is how Microsoft (and others) feel the need to completely purge the net from documentation. Storage is cheap, so why not have a section dedicated "legacy documentation", containing APIs etc.

I know they are eager to have people upgrade, but that does not justify removing apis as I see it.

archive.org anyone ?

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.

It's not that the documentation is being removed, it's just that any mention of XP being able to use the function or variable has been removed. EM_SETCUEBANNER is a good example, which is what alerted me to this happening in the first place.