MSDN hates XP as much as I do

Why don't they make better Explorer, Notepad, mspaint. Instead stuff a distribution kit with video movies. I don't think a lot of the code would need to import the RegDeleteTree function in Windows XP. It is possible to issue new libraries, without increasing the distribution with 2 GB to 20 Gb. Settings redistributed to other windows, but the essence remains the same.

what read every day?, read only that microsoft dismisses people from work, so what makes you think that? that microsoft has money to burn, do you really think that microsoft does not have to do all day and spends money to write 20 Gb library?
Edited by DXRW4E

apps-odrive.pngdrive_app_badge.png box-logo.png new_logo.png MEGA_Logo.png

For me, it is mainly the "forced to" that I don't like .... especially for those who don't really need it ... which is most people.

It is the regime that forces the requirement for updating, not most people's needs ... non nerds (norms) I'm talking here.

I also don't like it when something works well, but is forced into obsoletion by a regime of must upgrade or else ... I hate the throwaway society mentality.

I absolutely agree with that!

There are some nice parallelas for that:

for example cars - when we buy (expensive) car which we can use for travelling from point A to point B without any problem and after some very short time we should throw it away (and buy new one even more expensive) just because some idiot say it's obsolete although it still can get me nicely from point A to point B without any problems.

I hate that stupid politic.

• 3 months later...

(I say "7+" to mean "Vista+".)

The people who are yelling that XP is totally insecure and Windows 7+ fixed all that seem to have swallowed all the Koolaid and aren't paying attention to the actual details.  Do you think MS rewrites their OS from scratch with each change of the public version number?  Yet somehow get it released quickly, somehow it works, somehow it runs all the old software, somehow supports the same API calls, runs the same services, supports the same low-level tools and debuggers, and somehow every new security vulnerability simultaneously affects every OS they have?

No, Windows 7 (a.k.a. v6.1) is just XP (a.k.a. v5.1) with a bunch of things removed and a few things added, and some things modified.  Lots of us really depend on many of the hundreds of things that were removed after XP.  Some of the things added after XP are useful.  Some are bloat.  Many can be easily patched into XP, including some of the new security model things.  Others via third-party security add-ons which are better than any of the built-in stuff that came with 7+ or XP.

And those who are claiming that MS would be crazy to keep patching XP, that they don't have the resources to do so, etc.: They are committed to making security patches for XP until 2017 or 2019, because of contractual commitments they've made (some to corporate clients, and some because the 10-year promise of support on the late-released branded release of XP called POSReady 2009).  So, they've been making the patches and will be doing so no matter what.  The resources are there and are being used.  Every time a flaw is patched in W7, lo and behold it's patched for POSReady 2009.

(What is POSReady 2009? It's XP SP3 without some of the most fluffy and unused add-ons like Movie Maker.  It's so identical, just setting a simple flag to a "1" in your XP registry will cause the POSReady 2009 updates to reach your XP machine every month like clockwork, and work.  Coincidentally, they're patches for most of the same flaws affecting 7+ machines...because, everything from Windows 2000 to Windows 10 shares tons of code and most of the same fundamental architectures.)

There's a reason something like 25% of the Windows computers of the world are still running XP.  Some believe it's the best OS MS has ever made.  Many people have legit reason to switch away from it (incl. that their peers did).  But it's case by case, shouldn't be based on hysterical repeatings of MS propaganda that would have you believe that suddenly XP became horribly insecure and "old," but 7+ are magically secure and MS transformed overnight into a company that makes bug free software (and everything they sell  is brand new code).  It's just the next incremental version, with additions, subtractions, and modifications.  More subtractions than ever before.