Can I hide was is gettting typed in a dos program?

jdumont

My script in a nutshell...

runs cmd.exe

goes to a directory,

types a command that runs a dos utility. (this dos utility converts a

database file to .dbf format)

use some arrow keys and press enter a couple times etc

typesometext press enter etc. to fill in the utility boxes.

2 questions:

a.Can I hide what is being typed while inside the utility or cmd prompt?

Or at least minimize the cmd.exe window and lock it while the text is getting typed into the utility?

b.How can AutoIt know when the dos utility has finished creating

the .dbf file so msgbox says, "All users can now enter the main program"?

Right now the msgbox is saying "wait for the red M E S S A G E window before re-entering program"

Many Thanks!

Edited by jdumont

• 3 weeks later...

a.Can I hide what is being typed while inside the utility or cmd prompt?

Or at least minimize the cmd.exe window and lock it while the text is getting typed into the utility?

An AU2 derivative named AutoHotkey (AHK)* offers a "Hide" option/parameter (I guess that's the same with AU2!) which - yes! hides the (cmd)window while executed. That won't help you if you expect to dynamically enter something to it (which would be possible using one of its Control commands). So you've to run a batch file which could be executed like this:

; AHK code !
RunWait, cmd /c My.bat,, Hide
   MsgBox, All users can now enter the main program!

b.How can AutoIt know when the dos utility has finished creating

That is done using the RunWait instead of the Run command.

* the same (or even better, TBH - I don't know) is available with AutoIt3 aka AU3. Check it out.

@ Larry

Hi. B)

Hey, a question Beastmaster,

Have you tried Au3? or are you stilll a Aut or AHK junkie? Just a simple question, nothing under the microscope. Just a query, just exploring. I know people have have their likes...

Edited by MHz

@ MHz

Yes, I'm with AHK. As it is offering now more function(alitie)s and dll calls as well (which I've to fight with (no I'm still not a programmer)), I'm getting used more and more to a (in case of AHK, optional) complex syntax. Maybe some time I'm able to understand AU3 and/or Valik's kinda humor (just kiding) B)

au3 also has DllCall() ...

you should really check out the beta. it has tons of function that the stable doesnt have. (like dllcall, regexp, etc.)

Edited by w0uter

My UDF's:;mem stuff_Mem;ftp stuff_FTP ( OLD );inet stuff_INetGetSource ( OLD )_INetGetImage _INetBrowse ( Collection )_EncodeUrl_NetStat_Google;random stuff_iPixelSearch_DiceRoll

@ MHz

Yes, I'm with AHK. As it is offering now more function(alitie)s and dll calls as well (which I've to fight with (no I'm still not a programmer)), I'm getting used more and more to a (in case of AHK, optional) complex syntax. Maybe some time I'm able to understand AU3 and/or Valik's kinda humor (just kiding) B)

Thanks for an honest reply, Beastmaster. I'm sure AHK will continue to grow. Au3 will always be available if you decide to switch. Meanwhile, it is good to see you helping the Au2 people out. :o