IE: Detecting newly-opened tabs

jbnv

I'm writing a script to automate retrieving PDFs from a third-party website. The website opens the PDF in a new tab when I click on the link. I know how to click on the link, but the focus remains in the original tab. I need to transfer control to the newly-opened tab, where I can execute a SaveAs on the PDF. How do I detect the new tab and move to it?

What is vague or unspecific about the description? I click on a link, it opens in another tab in IE, I need to get the focus onto that tab... pretty straightforward. 

I have looked at _IEAttach. I'm still trying to understand. The title and URL options aren't helpful because the new tabs have the same title and URL as the original. The HTML option isn't helpful either because the new window contains a PDF document, not HTML. Maybe the instance option, but how do I get the instance number of the new tab?

What is vague or unspecific about the description? I click on a link, it opens in another tab in IE, I need to get the focus onto that tab... pretty straightforward. 

​Yes... you gave the steps. But you didn't provide any specifics that may generate the help you desire. What's the website? How are you clicking the link (are you using _IELinkClick* or something else?). What is the URL for the link you are clicking? 

What's the website? What is the URL for the link you are clicking? I can't give that to you. I'm writing a script for a client that harvests data from a particular website. Why does it matter? The pertinent info is that the webpage opens a new tab.

How are you clicking the link? I have the ID for the link. I use _IEGetObjById to get the link object. Then I call _IEAction with the link object as the first parameter and "click" as the second parameter.

where I can execute a SaveAs on the PDF. 

I think you do not need to use SaveAs.

Question: is this PDF have any specyfic name ? for example invoice_122356.pdf

EXAMPLE:

Func _WWW_Invoice_PDF_Clear()
    Local $sIECacheDir = _IE_GetCacheDir()
    Local $aFolders = _FileListToArrayRec($sIECacheDir, 'Invoice*.pdf', 1, 1, 0, 2)
    If @error = 0 Then
        For $i = 1 To UBound($aFolders) - 1
            FileDelete($aFolders[$i])
        Next
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_WWW_Invoice_PDF_Clear

Func _WWW_Invoice_PDF_FileFullPath()
    Local $sIECacheDir = _IE_GetCacheDir()
    Local $aFolders = _FileListToArrayRec($sIECacheDir, 'Invoice*.pdf', 1, 1, 0, 2)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(@error)
    Else
        Return $aFolders[1]
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_WWW_Invoice_PDF_FileFullPath

Func _IE_GetCacheDir()
    Local $sIECacheDir = RegRead('HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\', 'Cache')
    $sIECacheDir = StringReplace($sIECacheDir, '%USERPROFILE%', @UserProfileDir)
    If StringInStr(@OSVersion, 'WIN_8') or StringInStr(@OSVersion,'WIN_2012') Then
        $sIECacheDir &= '\IE'
    Else
        $sIECacheDir &= '\Content.IE5'
    EndIf
    Return SetError(0, 0, $sIECacheDir)
EndFunc   ;==>_IE_GetTemporaryInternetFiles_Path

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

What's the website? What is the URL for the link you are clicking? I can't give that to you. I'm writing a script for a client that harvests data from a particular website. Why does it matter? The pertinent info is that the webpage opens a new tab.

​It matters because there may be a simpler way to accomplish the task, but without this type of information it's difficult to know. For example, I download some PDF files daily from a specific website. My script (running in an embedded browser) logs into the site, traverses to the correct page, then proceeds to examine the links and download the PDFs without having to actually click the links. This is accomplished by examining the URLs, parsing out the required information, and then using InetGet to retrieve the file.

I understand that the site is likely not publicly accessible. But that doesn't prevent you from providing an example of the link's URL, such as:

https://lockbox.onlinebank.com/Mavro/mavarc/downloadFile.aspx?file=Reports*junkdata*0150429_CR_IRD_321710.pdf

​It matters because there may be a simpler way to accomplish the task, but without this type of information it's difficult to know. For example, I download some PDF files daily from a specific website. My script (running in an embedded browser) logs into the site, traverses to the correct page, then proceeds to examine the links and download the PDFs without having to actually click the links. This is accomplished by examining the URLs, parsing out the required information, and then using InetGet to retrieve the file.

It appears that the PDFs have their own URLs. However, the site uses ASP.Net, and the "href" of the PDF link is an ASP.net javascript:__doPostBack call. Also, the link in question is a cell in a table that could have more than one row. The strategy I am attempting is to examine the table row by row, queuing the link IDs into an array, then click each link in the array and open the PDFs, then iterate through the tabs and save the PDF files. 

I am doing whatever I can to reduce the number of steps in each script, so advice on how to do so is appreciated.