AutoIT or Windows - Internal Resources like CPU / Memory

Good Morning AutoIT Geniuses!  :sorcerer:

Maybe this question is answered somewhere already... but I'm looking to ramp up the priority or "speed" of my exe's.

So, I've been experimenting and I don't see a huge increase in completion regardless of the processor or memory I use.

Sure, if I increase the memory I don't run out of memory, but if I increase memory - things relatively stay the same... why is that?

In another scenario for instance, I put the exe on a Dell server w/ 24 GB of ram and several quad core Xeon cpu's and the time to execute was relatively the same...

Oh, and the CPU never spiked or went above 5%... even after I stepped up it's priority. >_<

That seemed impossible - so I'm asking - is AutoIT mostly responsible for system resources used or is it on Windows? I used WIndows 7 x64 and Windows Server 2012.

Clueless as to what the guts are behind AutoIT and how Windows hands the exe's resources or how AutoIT "tells" Windows how to handle it's resources.

This day in age, we have quad cores +++ and then some... so this app should be screaming fast - it's not like I'm playing Crysis in 8K - haha, lol.

:laser:

"Maybe I'm on a road that ain't been paved yet. And maybe I see a sign that ain't been made yet"
Song Title: I guess you could say
Artist: Middle Class Rut

• Moderators

And moved it is.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Thanks for moving my topic but I typically would never tread anywhere near the dev chat... not my territory at all, but fitting nonetheless. Thanks.

"Maybe I'm on a road that ain't been paved yet. And maybe I see a sign that ain't been made yet"
Song Title: I guess you could say
Artist: Middle Class Rut

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's definitely not Windows. =) AutoIt was never built with the intention to be fast. It is built to be flexible, portable and convenient for a particular use case. That doesn't mean automatically AutoIt is to blame for your speed problem, but it's not exactly helping you there either.

The speed of your program depends on what you're doing in your AutoIt code. Perhaps you're going about solving your problem very inefficiently and you can improve that. In order of us to help with that, you will have to share some more details about what exactly it is that you're doing.

If you've definitely ruled out that your program is simply inefficient, you can consider offloading harder tasks into a AutoIt loadable dll written in a language such as C++. It's also a consideration to write everything in another language, which won't solve your efficiency problem, but might make it less of a problem. If you're not already familiar in another language ideal for this purpose, I wouldn't recommend this as a potential starting point.