How to extract magic numbers

Hello :), I use AutoIt Form Studio to design my GUIs... It has a bad habit of add up all the magic numbers when generation the code. Now I want to know which styles I am using for my button.

Thanks in Advance, TD :)

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

• Moderators

TheDcoder,

The styles are all found in the relevant *Constants.au3 file, so look at the values there and determine which ones add up to the numeric value you have - if Windows can do it then so can you. Start with the most common ones - you should remember the more esoteric ones you asked for in the GUI designer.

I would also suggest asking the author of the designer to change its behaviour to use the style names rather than magic numbers - and certainly not to sum them.

M23

Edit: If you decide to code something, BitAND would be a good place to start looking in the Help file.

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

You can also do it using BitAND and testing against every possible button style constant. Something like what I did in the updated GUIToolTip function _GUIToolTip_BitsToTTF.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

TheDcoder.

I suggest BitAND and you say: "a nightmare".

BrewManNH suggests BitAND and you say: "that looks easy".

So which is it?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I suggest BitAND and you say: "a nightmare".

Bit Operations? They are a nightmare for me :(

​I don't understand Bit Operations, but I got an Idea (about checking if a magic number is added in the added up magic number) after looking at BrewManHN's function. I have a question.

Q. How can I calculate magic numbers?

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

• Moderators

TheDcoder,

That makes no sense - magic numbers are just the numeric values of constants set by Windows, you cannot "calculate" them.  If you mean determine if a particular value is included then you just need to use BitAND as was suggest earlier. Look at the Setting Styles tutorial in the Wiki to understand how it works - the "Multiple Styles" section is what you need.

M23

Spoiler

magic numbers are just the numeric values of constants set by Windows, you cannot "calculate" them

:blink: Looks like I misunderstood the whole concept of magic numbers... I thought 16, 32, 64 etc. were magic numbers

P.S I found the formula :). It is 2 ^ n

• Developers

:blink: Looks like I misunderstood the whole concept of magic numbers... I thought 16, 32, 64 etc. were magic numbers

P.S I found the formula :). It is 2 ^ n

​You seriously need to start investing in learning and understanding things you are doing and you'll find programming becomes easier. ;)
So stop saying stuff like " I don't understand" and start finding out what it means and understanding it.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

TheDcoder,

Correct - and so now you know how to determine which magic numbers are hidden inside the combined total given by your GUI designer.

M23

Spoiler

@Jos Thanks for the inspiration :)

I found out that "What I thought Magic Numbers were" is "Base 2 Mathematics" :). I made this little function:

Func BreakMagicNumbers($iNumber, $iMaxParams = 49)
    Local $sReturn = ""

For $i = 0 To $iMaxParams
        $iMagicNumber = CalculateMagicNumber($i)
        If BitAND($iNumber, $iMagicNumber) <> 0 Then $sReturn &= $iMagicNumber & '|'
    Next

Return StringTrimRight($sReturn, 1)
EndFunc

Func CalculateMagicNumber($iNumber)
    Return 2 ^ $iNumber
EndFunc

Its not tested yet... Hope it may help somebody, TD :)

• Moderators

TheDcoder,

Its not tested yet...

I know, because it will not work correctly as it is written. Go and look at the various constants - they are not all powers of 2, although that is a major element of their differentiation.  Look at these button styles:

Global Const $BS_SPLITBUTTON = 0x0000000C
Global Const $BS_DEFSPLITBUTTON = 0x0000000D
Global Const $BS_COMMANDLINK = 0x0000000E
Global Const $BS_DEFCOMMANDLINK = 0x0000000F

Like Jos said, you need to start by understanding exactly how Windows constants work (which is explained in that tutorial to which I linked) - then you can code something which will extract the data you require. Hint: you will need to use the *Constants.au3 files in there somewhere.

M23

Spoiler

examples should be.....more example-ish:  Like, fix all the magic numbers in this line, while leaving those that lack magical ability.

msgbox(0, 0, 0, 0, 0)

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

TheDcoder,

I will be interested to see the result.

M23

Spoiler

I'm not sure why you might need random magic numbers, but it was an interesting exercise for me at the time. I haven't seen this function written by anyone else previously but I'm sure there are plenty of potential applications. I also imagine it will have been done before. Sometimes making things like this helps you to understand the way other things work. These small exercises helped me a lot.

Actually these functions were related to an encryption idea, but I didn't use them in the end.

Edited by czardas