reading text from a GUI?

Hi, i want to be able to read the text from a GUI, it biscally shows numbers updating ever seconds, i want to be able to capture that. I cant copy the text as the gui wont let me.

So if you have any ideas how i would be able to do this please let me know.

Hi, i want to be able to read the text from a GUI, it biscally shows numbers updating ever seconds, i want to be able to capture that. I cant copy the text as the gui wont let me.

So if you have any ideas how i would be able to do this please let me know.

Think you'll have to provide a little more information.

I suspect you'll have to use the Autoit Window Info tool to tell you the ControlID/ClassNameNN and then go from there, ControlGetText ( "title", "text", controlID )

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Think you'll have to provide a little more information.

I suspect you'll have to use the Autoit Window Info tool to tell you the ControlID/ClassNameNN and then go from there, ControlGetText ( "title", "text", controlID )

Posted Image

oky this is only for a example, you see where the arrow is pointing, i want to get all the information from it. In this particular case you can get it by using other means besides actually reading the text.

but a program that i want to read of is a java applet, and there is no other way of obtaining the data besides reading it.

I would be greatful if anyone could provide a example source code to read of a gui. I belive first thing one would have to do is get the codinates where the text is located using Autoinfo.. then using some method to read it.

i.e. Say i wanted to read the word "music task" or "play all"

thats what i want to do.. read from the GUI without being able to copy using the cursor.

If your using your own gui with GUICreate look at GUICtrlRead.

its not my own GUI its some other program that i want to read of, i cant select the text using the cursor. ( if i could i would just copy it to clip board then extract it from there, but that is no possiable)

so how else could i read a text?

Edited by pingpong24

• Moderators

Have you tried gafrost suggestion of looking at the AutoInfo.exe tool?

If the text is not shown there, then your probably left with having to create your own OCR (optical character recognizer)... or look at Peethebes (I think I misspelled his name ... sorry peeth) to see if you can get the information your needing.

Why are you so secretive on the java program your trying to read... if you post exactly what your wanting to do, you may find that someone has already done it and has a working example for you already to learn from.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Have you tried gafrost suggestion of looking at the AutoInfo.exe tool?

If the text is not shown there, then your probably left with having to create your own OCR (optical character recognizer)... or look at Peethebes (I think I misspelled his name ... sorry peeth) to see if you can get the information your needing.

Why are you so secretive on the java program your trying to read... if you post exactly what your wanting to do, you may find that someone has already done it and has a working example for you already to learn from.

thanks man for the help.

I dont want to reveal the program that i am trying to make a GUI based API for, simply because if i do google will pickup on this and many people like me will start flooding this forum asking how to do it.

Edited by pingpong24

• Moderators

And they'd probably get the answer a lot quicker B)

Good luck to you!!

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.