A scheduled event program

OK, here is the problem.

I want a program to read an time interval from an ini, do function x at the time interval read from the ini, and stay running 24/7. I tried it before and failed... My problem with the original code was that I wanted to check the time every 5 mins or so to stop the cpu lagging and instead of doing the event once, it ran every five minutes when the time was correct. Anyone have a bare bones scheduler script?

---Sparkes.

OK, here is the problem.

I want a program to read an time interval from an ini, do function x at the time interval read from the ini, and stay running 24/7. I tried it before and failed... My problem with the original code was that I wanted to check the time every 5 mins or so to stop the cpu lagging and instead of doing the event once, it ran every five minutes when the time was correct. Anyone have a bare bones scheduler script?

Here we go. Maybe you'll have to adjust time/date handling a bit, but I think it's a good start.

#Include <Date.au3>
const $INTERVAL = 5 * 5; Interval in seconds.
global $ACTIONTIME = "2005/10/22 22:33:42"

$timer = TimerInit()

while 1
    sleep(1000)

$diff = TimerDiff($timer) / 1000
    if $diff > $INTERVAL then
        $timer = TimerInit()
        _continuous_worker_task()
    endif

if _DateDiff("s",$ACTIONTIME,_NowCalc()) >= 0 then
        $ACTIONTIME = _DateAdd ( "d", 1, $ACTIONTIME )
        _single_action_task()
    endif 
wend

func _continuous_worker_task()
    msgbox(0,"","delta time: " & $INTERVAL & " seconds have elapsed...")
endfunc

func _single_action_task()
    msgbox(0,"","SINGLE ACTION TASK !!!! ...")
endfunc

Cheers

Kurt

Edited by /dev/null

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

That code looks like it'll work for my project, but would you mind explaining the date and timer specific functions ? I don't understand the usage of the commands dealing with the time. Care to enlighten me?

please read the help file. It's all explained there.

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

I have already looked through the help files and know what the Timer funcs do, but when combined with the date add and diff funcs, I'm lost. From what I determine, I see that it is a loop that has a one second delay and does a few things:

-assigned the quotient of Timerdiff($timer) and 1000 to $diff

-checks if $diff is greater than $INTERVAL and if it is, Resets the timer and runs continuous worker task

-checks if _nowcalc() - $ACTIONTIME is >= 0 and if it is, assign $actiontime + 1 day to $actiontime, and then run the single action task.

My questions lie mostly in the second if statement. What is the purpose of the Dateadd and DateDiff funcs? If i read that right, $ACTIONTIME is the time of execution for single action task. What modifications do i need to do if there is multiple run times every 24 hour period?

Here is an example of what I want to do:

The program read an ini for $email, $password and $number

If $number is 2 run func x every 12 hours, if 3, run func x every 8 hours and so on. interval = 24/$number

func x is already defined and all that is needed is a reliable schedule program structure.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Edited by Andrew Sparkes

---Sparkes.

My questions lie mostly in the second if statement. What is the purpose of the Dateadd and DateDiff funcs? If i read that right, $ACTIONTIME is the time of execution for single action task. What modifications do i need to do if there is multiple run times every 24 hour period?

based on what you say below, you don't need _DateAdd() and _DateDiff().

Here is an example of what I want to do:

The program read an ini for $email, $password and $number

If $number is 2 run func x every 12 hours, if 3, run func x every 8 hours and so on. interval = 24/$number

func x is already defined and all that is needed is a reliable schedule program structure.

What you need is only the first part, where the script tests if a given amount of time has passed by (first if clause within the while loop). Could you please post what you have tried so far? I will have a look at your code. func x would be interesting as well....

Cheers

Kurt