Problem calling DLL

Hi, I had some downtime at work so I thought why not code some AutoIT for the first time in like 2 years. :)

I am currently trying to get a windows move state using GetGUIThreadInfo in user32.dll so I have been going through the following documentation to figure out how to do so.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633506(VS.85).aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632604(v=vs.85).aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633522(v=vs.85).aspx

I think the first DLL call I need to make is to call the function GetWindowThreadProcessId. Unfortunately when I try to do so the application just crashes. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong as I have pretty much no experience calling DLL's. I have a feeling the crashing might be to do with the crap computers I'm using at work.

Currently I have something along these lines. Is anyone able to give me a push in the right direction? :)

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <SendMessage.au3>
Opt("MustDeclareVars")

Dim $hCurrentWindow, $dllTest

$hCurrentWindow = WinGetHandle("[Active]")
$dllTest = DllCall("user32.dll", "DWORD", "GetWindowThreadProcessId", "HWND", $hCurrentWindow)

$struc = "struct;DWORD lpdwProcessId;endstruct"
$struccrt = DllStructCreate($struc)

$dllTest = DllCall("user32.dll", "DWORD", "GetWindowThreadProcessId", "HWND*", $hCurrentWindow,"ptr",DllStructGetPtr($struccrt))

MsgBox(0,"",$dllTest[0])

[Edit::]

Your problem is that you are trying to get Window Thread Process Id. But you are not giving a space to where to store retrieved Data(ID).

Try this one...

Edited by Starstar

Life is like a coin. You can spend it Anyway as you wish and for your kind information. "you can spend it only once."

Unfortunately I don't have a way to actively test this at the moment because the two systems I am using are completely closed off from each other but Ill look into it when I get home. Thanks for the help Starstar.

I typed your previous code out manually on the system I am testing on and it worked perfectly. I am going to look into Dll Structs as I don't really know what they are not something I have ever researched. Would you mind explaining why you put in "HWND*" as the parameter type rather than just "HWND".? :)

I copied this line for you from help dllcall

"Add * to the end of another type to pass it by reference. For example "int*" passes a pointer to an "int" type."

* indicate that following one is by reference.......

[Edit::]

Reference means this parameter or variable has not value directly but by the other source.

Edited by Starstar

Life is like a coin. You can spend it Anyway as you wish and for your kind information. "you can spend it only once."

Cool thanks, I think GetWindowThreadProcessID returns the same value as WinGetHandle("[Active]") anyway so I don't believe this particular DLL call will be necessary in my overall solution. But of course I will need to make other calls so I can refer back to your example for that :).

I should be ok to continue from here, Ill probably just add to this thread if I have anymore queries on this subject. Thanks again, you have been a great help.

My Pleasure.....

Have a look to

_WinAPI_GetWindowThreadProcessId()

​Was trying to find a WinAPI function for this but didn't see it, thanks for pointing that out. I still seem to be struggling to get back the information I am after from GetGUIThreadInfo. Just seems to be returning 0 which I believe is a failure.

This is what I currently have.

$threadProcessID = _WinApi_GetWindowThreadProcessId($hCurrentWindow, _WinAPI_GetProcessID())
$struc = "struct:BOOL lpgui;endstruct"
$struccrt = DllStructCreate($struc)
$dllTest = DllCall("user32.dll", "BOOL", "GetGUIThreadInfo", "DWORD*", $threadProcessID, "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($struccrt))

Edit::

MsgBox(0, "", $dllTest[0])

Do any of you see any noticeable errors? :)

Edited by Venix
Code Error

Your structure is wrong....Try some one like this...

$struct2 =  "struct;DWORD cbSize;DWORD flags;HWND hwndActive;HWND hwndFocus;HWND hwndCapture;HWND hwndMenuOwner;HWND hwndMoveSize;HWND hwndCaret;RECT rcCaret;endstruct"
$struccreat2 =  DllStructCreate($struct2)

and also set the size of structure.....because this function also required it.......

DllStructSetData($struccreat2,"cbSize", DllStructGetSize($struccreat2))

Edited by Starstar

Alright thanks, I just made an assumption for the structure based on the data that was in the last one.  Do you know of any resources that explain the structure as I would like to learn?

Edited by Venix

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms632604(v=vs.85).aspx

Here is your structure information.You have nothing to do just write the type(like dword ,int ,str) of a variable and the name of variable as you wish..........

Edited by Starstar