Proper way of incrementing an array's size by 1

Hello :), I know about ReDim but I am confused :unsure:

Local $aArray[4] = [0, 1, 2, 3]

Func ExpandArray(ByRef $aArray)
    ; How?
EndFunc

Thanks in Advance, TD :)

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

I found out my answer :)

Local $aArray[4] = [0, 1, 2, 3]

Func ExpandArray(ByRef $aArray, $iExpandCount)
    ReDim $aArray[UBound($aArray) + ($iExpandCount - 1)]
EndFunc

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

• Developers

I knew you would, you just need a little push to sort it out by yourself in stead of always asking everything that looks difficult. ;)

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

TheDcoder,

If you do not know the final size of an array, incrementing it by one each time you add an element is not the best way to go as ReDim is a very slow function. Look at the final example in the Recursion tutorial in the Wiki and the "A little added extra" section below it to see how best you can manage this situation.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

TheDcoder,

Did you read it the explanation?

ReDim is among the slowest of the AutoIt functions, so you want to limit its use as much as possible. If we were to increase the array size by just the one element each time [...], we would slow down the function enormously [...]. Instead of adding a single additional element we double the array in size if it is already full to make sure we get plenty of extra space. You will need to have a count variable available to do this - so why not in the [0] element as is the case for many AutoIt arrays? Just remember that if you want to use the array subsequently [...] you will need one final ReDim to get rid of any unused elements left over after the last increase in size.

So yes, you set a reasonable initial size and then multiply the array size by 2 each time you fill it - getting rid of any unused empty elements once you have got the array to the final size.  It really does work - give it a try.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I found this awesome function called _ArrayAdd which does the same thing as ExpandArray... I don't know about internal workings of it but It does the job :D (internal workings should be fine b/c its coded by AutoIt pros)

TD :)

• Moderators

TheDcoder,

If you look inside _ArrayAdd you will see that in essence it is almost the same as your function - and so it suffers the same problem (lots of slow ReDim calls) if you use it to add lots of single elements in a loop. As explained above, the best way to deal with an array of unknown final size increasing by one element at a time is a "large increase in size" algorithm such as the "doubling" one I used in the Recursion tutorial.

M23

Spoiler

I found this awesome function called _ArrayAdd which does the same thing as ExpandArray... I don't know about internal workings of it but It does the job :D (internal workings should be fine b/c its coded by AutoIt pros)

​Coded by Melba and working quite nicely too. You should calculate the size of the array you need before creating it if that is possible. Otherwise there are various approaches you could adopt depending on the situation. I differ slightly with Melba on one thing though: doubling the size of an array is not always recommended, especially when dealing with large arrays. Sometimes it's better to make an educated guess at the maximum size when using ReDim. Doubling is a good idea in certain circumstances as is the case with the example Melba mentioned.

Edited by czardas

@Melba23 I see... ReDim works fine for me in this case (ReDim take 0.01 ms to expand an array by 1 with 200 elements :P). So I will stick to _ArrayAdd because I need to expand an array only ~10 times :P

So it's OK in this case. Otherwise, I'd say an expansion factor of ~1.5 is mostly correct in a large number of cases. Doubling the size just seems a little bit too much in my limited experience.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Here are the first 20 iterations for geometric progressions by 1.5 and 2, both starting at 1:

1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 18, 27, 41, 62, 93, 140, 210, 315, 473, 710, 1065, 1598, 2397, 3596, ...
1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768, 65536, 131072, 262144, 524288, ...

As always the success of a strategy depends on your precise context.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)