Script to move recycle bin location - need help

Alpine

Hi, I would like to create an autoit script to move the recycle bin from its default location in Windows XP (bottom right corner of desktop) to a different location, eg to the left side of the screen. This script is to be run as an exe during an automated build process so that when all users log in for the first time, their recycle bin location is where we desire it to be. I've just installed autoit but am unsure how to use it. Can some of you gurus help me with the creation of this script? Many thanks.

Registry snapshots tell me very little how Windows stores data regarding icon positions....

But I do have a solution that should work B)

Download iconsaver from my post here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...indpost&p=59138

I'm so glad I uploaded it

You just need the command-line utils.

SaveIcons.exe saves the icon position information to registry in an easy to understand format. Here's an example of my desktop.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mario Knok]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mario Knok\IconSaver]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mario Knok\IconSaver\1024,768]
"Data"="959,84"
"Computer"="959,2"
"Network"="959,166"
"Recycle Bin"="959,658"
"IE 6"="959,248"
"Firefox"="959,330"
"IrfanView"="959,412"
"OpenOffice"="959,576"
"SciTE"="959,494"
"Cleanup"="23,2"

You should be able to tell that I'm running at 1024 x 768 resolution and that I like my icons lined up along the right edge of my screen. (I like my temporary downloads to fill up the left side and not get mixed in with the "My Computer" or "Recycle Bin" icons).

Anyway, you just need to run RestoreIcons.exe when logged on to the computer at the proper screen resolution.

I take it you know how to get the registry key added properly and run the RestoreIcons.exe at initial logon, because AutoIt is not needed at all in the process.

Hope that helps

Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

By the way, the IconSaverLib.dll file is also needed.

Assuming RestoreIcons.exe and IconSaverLib.dll are in the working directory or system folder, here's a script for Halloween:

; Loop until user presses Escape

WinMinimizeAll()
HotKeySet("{Esc}", "Quit")

Dim $x = 0, $y = 0;

While 1
;$key = Random(10,@DesktopWidth-50,1) & "," & Random(10,@DesktopHeight-50,1)
    $key = $x & "," & $y
    $x = $x + 10
    RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mario Knok\IconSaver\1024,768", "Recycle Bin","REG_SZ",$key)
    Run("RestoreIcons.exe")
    sleep(500)
WEnd
Quit()

Func Quit()
    WinMinimizeAllUndo()
    Exit
EndFunc
Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

Hi, I would like to create an autoit script to move the recycle bin from its default location in Windows XP (bottom right corner of desktop) to a different location, eg to the left side of the screen. This script is to be run as an exe during an automated build process so that when all users log in for the first time, their recycle bin location is where we desire it to be. I've just installed autoit but am unsure how to use it. Can some of you gurus help me with the creation of this script? Many thanks.

As it is being done during a new install the following should work.

WinMinimizeAll()
MouseClick("right",1,1,1,0)
Send("i")
Send("a")
WinMinimizeAllUndo()

No extras required

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother