accessing multiple applications

Hi, 

I'm new to autoit. I have an excel that contains 100's of network path (each path referring to .txt file) in a column. Open first text file, Search for the string "modular-n12cgh" followed by ':', there will be a 16 digit value copy the 16 digit value and open an internally developed application(GUI) and go to corresponding field and paste the text copied, and add few attachments specific to the first row of excel in this application and generate a report if everything mentioned above is done. This has to be repeated for all other rows in excel. Is it possible to automate this using autoit? If so can anyone please share an example?

Thanks a lot

• Developers

Welcome,

Not sure what you were expecting for answer then "yes, it is possible"?
There is a UDF library with Excel options and should be easy to process the files.

Open the helpfile and start reading ;)

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Hi jos,

Thanks for your answer. So I can start reading Autoit ;-) other than excel, can we automate redundant activities in custom based GUI as well? (no idea whether the GUI developed using java/vc++...)

In principle, yes you can. Depends largely on the application itself, but if it uses standard Windows gui elements then it doesn't matter in which language it was developed, it's usually entirely automatable. Proprietary GUIs can be harder or sometimes impossible to interact with in a meaningful way from an autoit script.

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

Thank you,  it is a standard gui. when I tried recording, it records only x,y coordinates of the screen and reproducing the same. But if the window size is changed or someone trying to run the same script in other pc's of a different monitor size then the script misbehaves. How to access the controls of GUI directly? Can you please provide any specific topics for reading. Idea is that, the automation should happen in the background, so I can do something else. 

Try the helpfile for all functions that start with _Excel_ to see everything that can be done with Excel sheets with an out-of-the-box installation of the full AutoIt package. The helpfile comes with fully working example scripts for each and every function.

Try StringRegExp and StringInStr for searching a string for certain patterns. StringRegExp and String[Left/Mid/Right] (and more) can help you getting parts from a string.

Try the functions starting with Control to interact with controls of your GUI. Yes, this can also be done to work on hidden/non-active/backgrounded/etc. GUIs and/or controls.

The helpfile has working example scripts for all of those functions. Good luck!

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.