File copy

Hi guys,

New to scripting and AutoIT so i apologies as this is probably a very stupid and basic question.

Basically on my new build machines i want some Icons from 1 location to be placed on the public desktop. I have the script below which seems to run but doesnt actually do anything.

FileCopy("@ProgramFilesDir\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldms\Packages\DefaultShortcuts\*.*","@DesktopDir\Public\Desktop\", 1)

actual paths are C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldms\Packages\DefaultShortcuts

and

C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Moderators

gingerpantman,

Welcome to the AutoIt forums.

Try it this way:

FileCopy(@ProgramFilesDir & "\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldms\Packages\DefaultShortcuts\*.*", @DesktopDir & "\Public\Desktop\", 1)

You need to keep the macros outside the quotes or they are treated as literal strings.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Your going to want to use this for your destination:

@DesktopCommonDir

Else you would just be trying to place your files on the current users desktop in a folder.

Also you can always create your own shortcuts with FileCreateShortcut()

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/functions/FileCreateShortcut.htm

The advantage being your not relying on any other files/paths for the source, the biggest issue I see with source usually is not having a check to see if 32bit or 64bit as each has a different programfilesdir. 

Edited by ViciousXUSMC

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help my script now looks like:

FileCopy(@ProgramFilesDir & "\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldms\Packages\DefaultShortcuts\*.*", @DesktopCommonDir & "\Public\Desktop\", 1)

It still fails though, Is there anyway of turning on logging so i can see why its failing?

Scrap that. Got it working, I was specifiying the path again instead of just using the  @DesktopCommonDir. Thanks for your help guys!

FileCopy(@ProgramFilesDir & "\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldms\Packages\DefaultShortcuts\shortcuts\*.*", @DesktopCommonDir, 1)