Active X Window and Non-Windows GUI Listboxes - Can't select items

Hi!

I'm new to AutoIt and have made some progress in my testing, but have run into an issue that I'd like to correct without cheaply working around it if at all possible. I'm trying to run tests on a GUI control that is emulating an older text based application. The GUI launches through an ActiveX control and I do not believe it is using standard Windows UI elements. I have attached screenshots of what the Window Info is giving me as well as the list in question - I blocked out any information from the list.

I have tried several different scripts, but this is the most recent that I've used....

;ControlClick("Setlib", "", "LSLISTLIST1")

Sleep(1000)

$iIndex = _GUICtrlListBox_FindInText("LSLISTLIST1", "RLS 424 - SERIES")
  _GUICtrlListBox_SetCurSel("LSLISTLIST1", $iIndex)

;ControlCommand("Setlib", "", "LSLISTLIST1", "SetCurrentSelection", 6)

;Send("{DOWN}")

The only thing that seems to work is the ControlClick to set focus and the Down to access the list item, however this would be poor practice as things could always be added to the list. If you have any questions I will try to respond ASAP. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Capture.thumb.PNG.6bca5d72ecce3fcbd1480eCapture1.thumb.PNG.2993dbf429646af684b04

Welcome to the forum.

Did you try this:

??

This is the only possible solution that comes to my mind.
But this is only a guess - you must try to chceck.

mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

To update. I have tried several different things since finding this, but none of them have worked correctly. From the above post I tried...

#include "CUIAutomation2.au3"

Opt( "MustDeclareVars", 1 )

MainFunc()

Func MainFunc()

; Get window handle
  Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "Setlib" )
  If Not $hWindow Then Return ConsoleWrite( "Window handle ERR" & @CRLF )
  ConsoleWrite( "Window handle OK" & @CRLF )

; Create UI Automation object
  Local $oUIAutomation = ObjCreateInterface( $sCLSID_CUIAutomation, $sIID_IUIAutomation, $dtagIUIAutomation )
  If Not IsObj( $oUIAutomation ) Then Return ConsoleWrite( "UI Automation object ERR" & @CRLF )
  ConsoleWrite( "UI Automation object OK" & @CRLF )

; Get UI Automation element from window handle
  Local $pWindow, $oWindow
  $oUIAutomation.ElementFromHandle( $hWindow, $pWindow )
  $oWindow = ObjCreateInterface( $pWindow, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )
  If Not IsObj( $oWindow ) Then Return ConsoleWrite( "Automation element from window ERR" & @CRLF )
  ConsoleWrite( "Automation element from window OK" & @CRLF )

; --- Find list control ---

; There are two list controls, we need the proper one

; Condition to find list controls
  Local $pCondition
  $oUIAutomation.CreatePropertyCondition( $UIA_ControlTypePropertyId, $UIA_ListControlTypeId, $pCondition )
  If Not $pCondition Then Return ConsoleWrite( "Property condition ERR" & @CRLF )
  ConsoleWrite( "Property condition OK" & @CRLF )

; Find list controls
  Local $pUIElementArray, $oUIElementArray, $iElements
  $oWindow.FindAll( $TreeScope_Descendants, $pCondition, $pUIElementArray )
  $oUIElementArray = ObjCreateInterface( $pUIElementArray, $sIID_IUIAutomationElementArray, $dtagIUIAutomationElementArray )
  $oUIElementArray.Length( $iElements )
  If Not $iElements Then Return ConsoleWrite( "Find list controls ERR" & @CRLF )
  ConsoleWrite( "Find list controls OK" & @CRLF )

; Find the proper list control
  Local $pList, $oList, $sName
  For $i = 0 To $iElements - 1
    $oUIElementArray.GetElement( $i, $pList )
    $oList = ObjCreateInterface( $pList, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )
    $oList.GetCurrentPropertyValue( $UIA_ClassNamePropertyId, $sName )
    ConsoleWrite( "List control class name: " & $sName & @CRLF )
    If StringInStr( $sName, "LISTBOX" ) Then
      ConsoleWrite( "This is the proper list" & @CRLF )
      ExitLoop
    EndIf
  Next

; --- Select list item ---

; Condition to find list item
  $oUIAutomation.CreatePropertyCondition( $UIA_NamePropertyId, "RLS 424 - SERIES", $pCondition )

; Find list item
  Local $pItem, $oItem
  $oList.FindFirst( $TreeScope_Descendants, $pCondition, $pItem )
  $oItem = ObjCreateInterface( $pItem, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )
  If Not IsObj( $oItem ) Then Return ConsoleWrite( "Find item ERR" & @CRLF )
  ConsoleWrite( "Find item OK" & @CRLF )

; Add item to selection
  Local $pSelection, $oSelection
  $oItem.GetCurrentPattern( $UIA_SelectionItemPatternId, $pSelection )
  $oSelection = ObjCreateInterface( $pSelection, $sIID_IUIAutomationSelectionItemPattern, $dtagIUIAutomationSelectionItemPattern )
  $oSelection.AddToSelection()

EndFunc

Which gave the output....

>Running:(3.3.12.0):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "C:\Users\Keven.Reed\IdeaProjects\seleniumTest\AutoIT Scripts\listForum.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
Window handle OK
UI Automation object OK
Automation element from window OK
Property condition OK
Find list controls OK
List control class name: LSLISTBOX
This is the proper list
Property condition OK
Find item ERR
+>14:30:05 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>14:30:05 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 1.215

I have tried a couple of different variations on this, but am still unable to get AutoIT to find anything within the list box. I also saw a thread on a Java application UDF, but it hasn't been touched in almost 5 years and seems to be outdated.

There is also a similar thread with a "javaspy", but I cannot get it to locate my elements with CTRL+W as with the simplespy.

Is there anything else anyone might be able to recommend? Having access to the list elements is crucial and any workaround that I've implemented so far just isn't very clean.

Sorry for the long post. If you need more info, please let me know!

***************EDIT***********

Also, to give you the output of the original simplespy on my list.

Having the following values for all properties:
Title is: <>    Class   := <>   controltype:= <UIA_ListItemControlTypeId>   ,<50007>    , (0000C357)    0;1;114292096;536870911
*** Parent Information top down ***
8: Title is: <Desktop>  Class   := <#32769> controltype:= <UIA_PaneControlTypeId>   ,<50033>    , (0000C371)    0;0;1920;1080
"Title:=Desktop;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=#32769"
7: Title is: <MEDHOST>  Class   := <LSPANEL>    controltype:= <UIA_WindowControlTypeId> ,<50032>    , (0000C370)    449;167;1022;746
"Title:=MEDHOST;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=LSPANEL"
6: Title is: <Setlib>   Class   := <LSPANEL>    controltype:= <UIA_WindowControlTypeId> ,<50032>    , (0000C370)    664;362;591;356
"Title:=Setlib;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=LSPANEL"
5: Title is: <Setlib>   Class   := <LSPANEL>    controltype:= <UIA_WindowControlTypeId> ,<50032>    , (0000C370)    664;389;591;302
4: Title is: <Setlib>   Class   := <LSPANEL>    controltype:= <UIA_WindowControlTypeId> ,<50032>    , (0000C370)    664;364;591;352
3: Title is: <> Class   := <#32770> controltype:= <UIA_PaneControlTypeId>   ,<50033>    , (0000C371)    672;394;4096;4096
"Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=#32770"
2: Title is: <Select Library List to Copy>  Class   := <LSLISTBOX>  controltype:= <UIA_ListControlTypeId>   ,<50008>    , (0000C358)    705;454;451;179
"Title:=Select Library List to Copy;controltype:=UIA_ListControlTypeId;class:=LSLISTBOX"
1: Title is: <> Class   := <LSLISTSUB>  controltype:= <UIA_ListControlTypeId>   ,<50008>    , (0000C358)    706;455;436;177
"Title:=;controltype:=UIA_ListControlTypeId;class:=LSLISTSUB"
0: Title is: <> Class   := <LSLISTLIST> controltype:= <UIA_ListControlTypeId>   ,<50008>    , (0000C358)    706;472;4096;160
"Title:=;controltype:=UIA_ListControlTypeId;class:=LSLISTLIST"

;~ *** Standard code ***
#include "UIAWrappers.au3"
AutoItSetOption("MustDeclareVars", 1)

Local $oP7=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($UIA_oDesktop, "Title:=MEDHOST;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=LSPANEL", $treescope_children)
_UIA_Action($oP7,"setfocus")
Local $oP6=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP7, "Title:=Setlib;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=LSPANEL", $treescope_children)
_UIA_Action($oP6,"setfocus")
Local $oP5=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP6, "Title:=Setlib;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=LSPANEL", $treescope_children)
_UIA_Action($oP5,"setfocus")
Local $oP4=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP5, "Title:=Setlib;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=LSPANEL", $treescope_children)
_UIA_Action($oP4,"setfocus")
Local $oP3=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP4, "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=#32770", $treescope_children)
_UIA_Action($oP3,"setfocus")
Local $oP2=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP3, "Title:=Select Library List to Copy;controltype:=UIA_ListControlTypeId;class:=LSLISTBOX", $treescope_children)
_UIA_Action($oP2,"setfocus")
Local $oP1=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP2, "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_ListControlTypeId;class:=LSLISTSUB", $treescope_children)
_UIA_Action($oP1,"setfocus")
Local $oP0=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP1, "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_ListControlTypeId;class:=LSLISTLIST", $treescope_children)
_UIA_Action($oP0,"setfocus")
;~ First find the object in the parent before you can do something
;~$oUIElement=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll(".mainwindow", "title:=;ControlType:=UIA_ListItemControlTypeId", $treescope_subtree)
Local $oUIElement=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP0, "title:=;ControlType:=UIA_ListItemControlTypeId", $treescope_subtree)
_UIA_action($oUIElement,"click")

*** Detailed properties of the highlighted element ***
UIA_iaccessiblechildId:= <1>
UIA_handle:= <0>
UIA_RuntimeId:= <42;16189292;2;-2147483647;16189292;-4;1>
UIA_BoundingRectangle:= <0;1;114292096;536870911>
UIA_ProcessId:= <7480>
UIA_ControlType:= <50007>
UIA_LocalizedControlType:= <list item>
UIA_HasKeyboardFocus:= <False>
UIA_IsKeyboardFocusable:= <True>
UIA_IsEnabled:= <True>
UIA_Culture:= <0>
UIA_IsControlElement:= <True>
UIA_IsContentElement:= <True>
UIA_IsPassword:= <False>
UIA_NativeWindowHandle:= <0>
UIA_IsOffscreen:= <True>
UIA_Orientation:= <0>
UIA_IsRequiredForForm:= <False>
UIA_IsDockPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsExpandCollapsePatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsGridItemPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsGridPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsInvokePatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsMultipleViewPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsRangeValuePatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsScrollPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsScrollItemPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsSelectionItemPatternAvailable:= <True>
UIA_IsSelectionPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsTablePatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsTableItemPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsTextPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsTogglePatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsTransformPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsValuePatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsWindowPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_ValueIsReadOnly:= <True>
UIA_RangeValueValue:= <0>
UIA_RangeValueIsReadOnly:= <True>
UIA_RangeValueMinimum:= <0>
UIA_RangeValueMaximum:= <0>
UIA_RangeValueLargeChange:= <0>
UIA_RangeValueSmallChange:= <0>
UIA_ScrollHorizontalScrollPercent:= <0>
UIA_ScrollHorizontalViewSize:= <100>
UIA_ScrollVerticalScrollPercent:= <0>
UIA_ScrollVerticalViewSize:= <100>
UIA_ScrollHorizontallyScrollable:= <False>
UIA_ScrollVerticallyScrollable:= <False>
UIA_SelectionCanSelectMultiple:= <False>
UIA_SelectionIsSelectionRequired:= <False>
UIA_GridRowCount:= <0>
UIA_GridColumnCount:= <0>
UIA_GridItemRow:= <0>
UIA_GridItemColumn:= <0>
UIA_GridItemRowSpan:= <1>
UIA_GridItemColumnSpan:= <1>
UIA_DockDockPosition:= <5>
UIA_ExpandCollapseExpandCollapseState:= <3>
UIA_MultipleViewCurrentView:= <0>
UIA_WindowCanMaximize:= <False>
UIA_WindowCanMinimize:= <False>
UIA_WindowWindowVisualState:= <0>
UIA_WindowWindowInteractionState:= <0>
UIA_WindowIsModal:= <False>
UIA_WindowIsTopmost:= <False>
UIA_SelectionItemIsSelected:= <False>
UIA_TableRowOrColumnMajor:= <2>
UIA_ToggleToggleState:= <2>
UIA_TransformCanMove:= <False>
UIA_TransformCanResize:= <False>
UIA_TransformCanRotate:= <False>
UIA_IsLegacyIAccessiblePatternAvailable:= <True>
UIA_LegacyIAccessibleChildId:= <1>
UIA_LegacyIAccessibleRole:= <34>
UIA_LegacyIAccessibleState:= <3145728>
UIA_IsDataValidForForm:= <False>
UIA_ProviderDescription:= <[pid:7480,hwnd:0x0 Annotation:Microsoft: Annotation Proxy (unmanaged:uiautomationcore.dll); Main(parent link):Microsoft: MSAA Proxy (unmanaged:uiautomationcore.dll)]>
UIA_IsItemContainerPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsVirtualizedItemPatternAvailable:= <False>
UIA_IsSynchronizedInputPatternAvailable:= <False>

Edited by automaterk

You can try to replace this line

If StringInStr( $sName, "LISTBOX" ) Then

with this line

If StringInStr( $sName, "LSLISTLIST" ) Then

in the code above. According to the output from the Spy tool the immediate parent of the list item seems to be a LSLISTLIST class listbox.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I still wind up with Find item ERR. I have no idea what else to try. It acts like it sees the item in the list, but just can't figure out how to click on it.

As an aside, is there another tool that might be more suited to what I am trying to do?

When you use $UIA_NamePropertyId to search for an item, the text value ("RLS 424 - SERIES") must be an exact match. Not a substring. I can't see the name property in the output from the Spy tool. I guess you have erased it.

To verify more specific whether the listbox can be automated with UI Automation or not, you can use Inspect.exe (MicroSoft tool to inspect UI Automation elements) in Windows SDK. If Inspect.exe can't identify the listbox items and subitems, you can't automate the listbox with UI Automation.

This code will print information about all list elements that it can see:

MainFunc()

Func MainFunc()
  ; Windows Explorer on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8
  Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "[REGEXPCLASS:^(Cabinet|Explore)WClass$]" )

Local $oUIAutomation = ObjCreateInterface( $sCLSID_CUIAutomation, $sIID_IUIAutomation, $dtagIUIAutomation )
  If Not IsObj( $oUIAutomation ) Then Return ConsoleWrite( "UI Automation object ERR" & @CRLF )

Local $pWindow, $oWindow
  $oWindow = ObjCreateInterface( $pWindow, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )
  If Not IsObj( $oWindow ) Then Return ConsoleWrite( "Automation element from window ERR" & @CRLF )
  ConsoleWrite( "Automation element from window OK" & @CRLF )

; Condition to find list items
  Local $pCondition
  $oUIAutomation.CreatePropertyCondition( $UIA_ControlTypePropertyId, $UIA_ListItemControlTypeId, $pCondition )

; Find list items
  Local $pUIElementArray, $oUIElementArray, $iElements
  $oWindow.FindAll( $TreeScope_Descendants, $pCondition, $pUIElementArray )
  $oUIElementArray = ObjCreateInterface( $pUIElementArray, $sIID_IUIAutomationElementArray, $dtagIUIAutomationElementArray )
  $oUIElementArray.Length( $iElements )
  If Not $iElements Then Return ConsoleWrite( "Find list items ERR" & @CRLF )
  ConsoleWrite( "Find list items OK" & @CRLF )

; Print list item info
  Local $pUIElement, $oUIElement
  For $i = 0 To $iElements - 1
    ConsoleWrite( @CRLF )
    $oUIElementArray.GetElement( $i, $pUIElement )
    $oUIElement = ObjCreateInterface( $pUIElement, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )
    ConsoleWrite( "Name      = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_NamePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  "Class     = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_ClassNamePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  "Ctrl type = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_ControlTypePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  "Ctrl name = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_LocalizedControlTypePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  "Value     = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_LegacyIAccessibleValuePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  "Handle    = " & Hex( GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_NativeWindowHandlePropertyId ) ) & @CRLF )
  Next
EndFunc

Func GetCurrentPropertyValue( $obj, $id )
  Local $tVal
  $obj.GetCurrentPropertyValue( $id, $tVal )
  If Not IsArray( $tVal ) Then Return $tVal
  Local $tStr = $tVal[0]
  For $i = 1 To UBound( $tVal ) - 1
    $tStr &= "; " & $tVal[$i]
  Next
  Return $tStr
EndFunc

This code will print information about all UI Automation elements that it can see in the entire window:

Global $oUIAutomation

MainFunc()

; List all automation elements of a window
; in a hierarchical structure like a treeview.
Func MainFunc()
  ; Get window handle
  ;Local $hWindow = 0x0006045C                                                             ; Infragistics
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "[CLASS:WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.bb8560_r19_ad1]" ) ; Infragistics
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "[REGEXPCLASS:WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.*]" )          ; Windows Updates Downloader
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "BCGPVisualStudioGUIDemo - Start Page" )                 ; BCGSoft BCGPVisualStudioGUIDemo
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "[CLASS:CabinetWClass]" )                                ; Windows Explorer, Windows 7
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "[CLASS:ExploreWClass]" )                                ; Windows Explorer, Windows XP
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "Windows Explorer right pane" )                          ; Windows Explorer right pane
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "[TITLE:My GUI Checkbox; CLASS:AutoIt v3 GUI]" )         ; AutoIt GUI window
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "[CLASS:AutoIt v3 GUI]" )                                ; AutoIt script
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "[CLASS:Chrome_WidgetWin_1]" )                           ; Chrome
  ;Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "[CLASS:IEFrame]" )                                      ; Internet Explorer
  Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "Calculator" )                                            ; Calculator

$oUIAutomation = ObjCreateInterface( $sCLSID_CUIAutomation, $sIID_IUIAutomation, $dtagIUIAutomation )

Local $pWindow, $oWindow
  ConsoleWrite( "Automation element from window OK" & @CRLF & @CRLF )

; List all elements of window
  ListDescendants( $oWindow, 0, 0 )

EndFunc

; List all child elements of parent
Func ListDescendants( $oParent, $iLevel, $iLevels = 0 )

If Not IsObj( $oParent ) Then Return
  If $iLevels And $iLevel = $iLevels Then Return

; Create RawViewWalker object
  Local $pRawViewWalker, $oRawViewWalker
  $oUIAutomation.RawViewWalker( $pRawViewWalker )
  $oRawViewWalker = ObjCreateInterface( $pRawViewWalker, $sIID_IUIAutomationTreeWalker, $dtagIUIAutomationTreeWalker )
  If Not IsObj( $oRawViewWalker ) Then Return ConsoleWrite( "RawViewWalker object error" & @CRLF )

; Get first child element
  Local $pUIElement, $oUIElement
  $oRawViewWalker.GetFirstChildElement( $oParent, $pUIElement )
  $oUIElement = ObjCreateInterface( $pUIElement, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )

Local $sIndent = ""
  For $i = 0 To $iLevel - 1
    $sIndent &= "    "
  Next

While IsObj( $oUIElement )
    ConsoleWrite( $sIndent & "Name      = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_NamePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  $sIndent & "Class     = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_ClassNamePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  $sIndent & "Ctrl type = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_ControlTypePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  $sIndent & "Ctrl name = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_LocalizedControlTypePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  $sIndent & "Value     = " & GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_LegacyIAccessibleValuePropertyId ) & @CRLF & _
                  $sIndent & "Handle    = " & Hex( GetCurrentPropertyValue( $oUIElement, $UIA_NativeWindowHandlePropertyId ) ) & @CRLF & @CRLF )

ListDescendants( $oUIElement, $iLevel + 1, $iLevels )

$oRawViewWalker.GetNextSiblingElement( $oUIElement, $pUIElement )
  WEnd
EndFunc

Func GetCurrentPropertyValue( $obj, $id )
  Local $tVal
  $obj.GetCurrentPropertyValue( $id, $tVal )
  If Not IsArray( $tVal ) Then Return $tVal
  Local $tStr = $tVal[0]
  For $i = 1 To UBound( $tVal ) - 1
    $tStr &= "; " & $tVal[$i]
  Next
  Return $tStr
EndFunc

I do not think there are other automation tools that you can use. If UI Automation does not work, the only option seems to be text recognition to identify the item in the list.

Edited by LarsJ

Thanks again for your response. I am getting errors on the initial steps for both chunks of code you posted. Both are throwing

Window handle ERR

Sorry if I am missing something. I am still new to AutoIT/UIA and am trying to get the hang of it.

As far as the Simple Spy output, that is directly from the GUI after using CTRL W on the portion of the list I wanted to click.

Below are the inspect.exe results. If you need to see any other portions of the window, please let me know and I'll get them posted as soon as possible. I apologize for taking a few days to get back to you. I have been out of town since Friday.

Capture.thumb.PNG.bfa93c66fb3a9ebe726d87Capture1.thumb.PNG.dca8fb34e096a801007ca

Also - how do you mean the only option seems to be text recognition? I am not familiar with how to go about doing that if I can't get anything to see the list? Is there any documentation you could point me to that might better explain what you mean.

Thanks again for all your responses! Hopefully something will work!

You have to add something like

Local $hWindow = WinGetHandle( "Setlib" )

in top of both code chunks.

It's very late at my location (Denmark) now. I'll take a closer look at the new information tomorrow.

Regards Lars.

The screendump from Inspect.exe shows that it can see the lists, but it can't see the list items. I'm afraid it's not possible to automate the listbox with UIA.

In your first post, it appears that you can select items with down arrow and click, but it's not possible to know which item is the right one. With the ScreenCapture UDF you can create a screendump of the listbox. Then you can use text recognition (google: ocr text recognition site:autoitscript.com) to identify the right item in the screendump. With this information you can position the mouse on top of the proper item. Methods like this seems to be the only way to automate the listbox.

If you have any questions related to text recognition, the best you can do is probably to create a new thread with "text recognition" or similar in the header. In that way you'll get the attention by people who knows something about this subject. My knowledge of the subject is very limited

Thanks @Larsj

This is handy info. 

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24