How to sort a 2D array on several columns using _ArraySort()

I want to sort on columns 0 to 3.

The time-honored way of doing this is to sort on the most minor column, then on the more major columns (here  3,2,1, then 0):

#include <Array.au3>

Local $ar[200][5]
For $i = 0 to 199
    for $j = 0 to 4
        $ar[$i][$j] = Chr(Random(97,122,1))&Chr(Random(97,122,1))&Chr(Random(97,122,1))
    Next
Next

_ArrayDisplay($ar, "$ar BEFORE _ArraySort()")
For $i = 3 to 0 step -1
    if not _ArraySort($ar,0,0,0,$i) Then
        MsgBox('','error',@error)
    EndIf
    _ArrayDisplay($ar, "$ar AFTER _ArraySort() ascending column "&$i)
Next

(Here, I don't care about column 4.)

But, as you can see, this progressive sort method doesn't work with _ArraySort(): it seems to sort only the values in the subject column, not to move the whole row based on values in the sort column.

Thoughts?

Edited by c.haslam
Spoiler

CDebug Dumps values of variables including arrays and DLL structs, to a GUI, to the Console, and to the Clipboard

IIRC there are functions available on the forum so sort an array on multiple columns.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

c.haslam,

This thread is my contribution to the oeuvre.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Ah, I knew it was a function you had written :). Unfortunately I couldn't find it in your signature and the search funcion of the new forum is .....

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

water,

the search funcion of the new forum is .....

It took me a couple of tries - and I knew the name of the function!

M23 

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I hope the forum will soon get a better search function. Now it is horrible - to say the least :(

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

water,

My wish is a simpler subset of yours: "I hope the forum will soon get [...] better [...]"

M23

Spoiler

I want to sort on columns 0 to 3.

The time-honored way of doing this is to sort on the most minor column, then on the more major columns (here  3,2,1, then 0)

No,  the normal way is to sort on the major criterion (here column 0), on equality sort on column 1, on equality sort on column 2 and on equality on column 3.

Doing things in the opposite order requires a stable sort and is three times slower the way you think of it. The basic on-place qsort implemented in many UDFs is not stable.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I meant: "on equality of key level N, sort on key level N+1"
It is the way you collate strings like names: first collate on the first character and on equality, collate on the second one, etc.
Strings representing integral numbers require you sort on length first, then on the string content.

A stable sort doesn't change the order of equal keys in the input.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

to simplify a bit your life, you could use sql against your 2d array so to get your wanted result using an SQL query and leave the SQLite engine will work for you.
You need to download the ArraySQL udf from this post ( https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/166536-manage-arrays-by-means-of-sql/?do=findComment&comment=1234441 ), and then use something like this for example:

#include <Array.au3>
#include <ArraySQL.au3> ; <-- download this from following post:
; https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/166536-manage-arrays-by-means-of-sql/?do=findComment&comment=1234441

Local $ar[200][5]
For $i = 0 To 199
    For $j = 0 To 4
        ; Short random data to only one char so to better see the logic of the result.
        $ar[$i][$j] = Chr(Random(97, 122, 1)) ; &Chr(Random(97,122,1))&Chr(Random(97,122,1))
    Next
Next

_ArrayDisplay($ar, "$ar BEFORE _ArraySort()")
#cs
    For $i = 3 to 0 step -1
    if not _ArraySort($ar,0,0,0,$i) Then
    MsgBox('','error',@error)
    EndIf
    _ArrayDisplay($ar, "$ar AFTER _ArraySort() ascending column "&$i)
    Next
#ce

; returns all rows ordered first by column3 then by Column2, column1 and Column0)
$sQuery = "SELECT * FROM array ORDER BY column3,column2,column1,column0;"
$aResult = _ArraySQL($ar, $sQuery)
If Not @error Then
    _ArrayDisplay($aResult, "Ordered by column3,column2,column1,column0")
Else
    MsgBox(0, "error", $g__sSQLiteError)
EndIf

Edited by Chimp

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

As an aside and while I'm a very very big big big fan of SQLite I'd say that going this way should be kept for cases where the volume of data is significant, or when the sorting condition(s) is/are non trivial (or diverse: col7 ASC then (col3 & col14) DESC then upper(col5) ASC), or when there is a need to finally store the data on disk. For the last point, using the SQLite backup UDF is recommended (search will help, when/if it works).

Another way to sort a 2D array by multiple columns is binary sorting based on an index. That is, the row numbers are inserted in the index at positions corresponding to the sorting order. The array itself is not affected by the sorting.

Func SortArray( ByRef $aItems, $pIndex, $tIndex, $aCmps )
  Local $iCmps = UBound( $aCmps ), $c, $r, $v[$iCmps]
  Local $lo, $hi, $mi
  For $i = 0 To UBound( $aItems ) - 1
    For $j = 0 To $iCmps - 1
      $v[$j] = $aItems[$i][$aCmps[$j][0]] ; Values
    Next
    $lo = 0
    $hi = $i - 1
    While $lo <= $hi ; Binary search
      $r = 0 ; Compare result (-1,0,1)
      $j = 0 ; Index in $aCmps array
      $mi = Int( ( $lo + $hi ) / 2 )
      While Not $r And $j < $iCmps                    ; This While-loop handles sorting by multiple
        $c = $aCmps[$j][0]   ; Column                 ; columns. Column values of the two rows are
        Switch $aCmps[$j][1] ; Number/string          ; compared until a difference is found.
          Case 0 ; Compare column values as numbers. The following line is an implementation of the spaceship or three-way comparison operator for numbers like StringCompare is for strings.
            $r = ( $v[$j] < $aItems[DllStructGetData($tIndex,1,$mi+1)][$c] ? -1 : $v[$j] = $aItems[DllStructGetData($tIndex,1,$mi+1)][$c] ? 0 : 1 ) * $aCmps[$j][2] ; * $iCmpAsc
          Case 1 ; Compare column values as strings. StringCompare is a spaceship or three-way comparison operator for strings.
            $r = StringCompare( $v[$j], $aItems[DllStructGetData($tIndex,1,$mi+1)][$c] ) * $aCmps[$j][2] ; * $iCmpAsc
        EndSwitch
        $j += 1
      WEnd
      Switch $r
        Case -1
          $hi = $mi - 1
        Case  1
          $lo = $mi + 1
        Case  0 ; Equal
          ExitLoop
      EndSwitch
    WEnd
    If $i > $mi Then _ ; Make space for the row number in index
      DllCall( $hKernel32Dll, "none", "RtlMoveMemory", "struct*", $pIndex+($mi+1)*4, "struct*", $pIndex+$mi*4, "ulong_ptr", ($i-$mi)*4 )
    DllStructSetData( $tIndex, 1, $i, $mi+1+($lo=$mi+1) ) ; Insert row number $i at position $mi+1+($lo=$mi+1) in index
  Next
EndFunc

Example:

#include <Array.au3>

Opt( "MustDeclareVars", 1 )

Global Const $hKernel32Dll = DllOpen( "kernel32.dll" )

Example( 1000, 3 )

Func Example( $iRows, $iCols )
  Local $aItems[$iRows][$iCols]

; Fill array
  FillArray( $aItems )
  _ArrayDisplay( $aItems, "Unsorted" )

; Sort array
  Local $tIndex = DllStructCreate( "uint[" & $iRows & "]" )
  Local $pIndex = DllStructGetPtr( $tIndex )
  Local $aCmps[3][3] = [ _
    [ 0, 1, +1 ], _ ; Col 0: Compared as strings, asc
    [ 1, 0, +1 ], _ ; Col 1: Compared as numbers, asc
    [ 2, 0, +1 ] ]  ; Col 2: Compared as numbers, asc
  SortArray( $aItems, $pIndex, $tIndex, $aCmps )

; Display rows
  Local $iRows2 = $iRows, $j
  Local $aItems2[$iRows2][$iCols]
  For $i = 0 To $iRows2 - 1
    $j = DllStructGetData($tIndex,1,$i+1)
    For $k = 0 To $iCols - 1
      $aItems2[$i][$k] = $aItems[$j][$k]
    Next
  Next
  _ArrayDisplay( $aItems2, "Sorted" )
EndFunc

DllClose( $hKernel32Dll )

Func FillArray( ByRef $aItems )
  Local $aLetters[26] = [ 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', _
                          'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z' ]
  Local $s, $t, $iRows = UBound( $aItems )
  For $i = 0 To $iRows - 1
    $s = $aLetters[Random(0,25,1)]
    For $j = 1 To 9
      $s &= $aLetters[Random(0,25,1)]
    Next
    $aItems[$i][0] = $s                                                ; String
    $aItems[$i][1] = Random( 0, $iRows - 1, 1 )                        ; Integer
    $aItems[$i][2] = Random( 0, $iRows - 1, 1 ) + Round( Random(), 4 ) ; Float
    ; Duplicate strings
    For $j = 1 To Random(0,2,1)
      If $i = $iRows - 1 Then ExitLoop
      $i += 1
      $aItems[$i][1] = Random( 0, $iRows - 1, 1 )                        ; Integer
      $t = $aItems[$i][1]
      ; Duplicate strings and integers
      For $m = 1 To Random(0,2,1)
        If $i = $iRows - 1 Then ExitLoop
        $i += 1
        $aItems[$i][1] = $t                                                ; Integer
      Next
    Next
  Next
EndFunc

Func SortArray( ByRef $aItems, $pIndex, $tIndex, $aCmps )
  Local $iCmps = UBound( $aCmps ), $c, $r, $v[$iCmps]
  Local $lo, $hi, $mi
  For $i = 0 To UBound( $aItems ) - 1
    For $j = 0 To $iCmps - 1
      $v[$j] = $aItems[$i][$aCmps[$j][0]] ; Values
    Next
    $lo = 0
    $hi = $i - 1
    While $lo <= $hi ; Binary search
      $r = 0 ; Compare result (-1,0,1)
      $j = 0 ; Index in $aCmps array
      $mi = Int( ( $lo + $hi ) / 2 )
      While Not $r And $j < $iCmps                    ; This While-loop handles sorting by multiple
        $c = $aCmps[$j][0]   ; Column                 ; columns. Column values of the two rows are
        Switch $aCmps[$j][1] ; Number/string          ; compared until a difference is found.
          Case 0 ; Compare column values as numbers. The following line is an implementation of the spaceship or three-way comparison operator for numbers like StringCompare is for strings.
            $r = ( $v[$j] < $aItems[DllStructGetData($tIndex,1,$mi+1)][$c] ? -1 : $v[$j] = $aItems[DllStructGetData($tIndex,1,$mi+1)][$c] ? 0 : 1 ) * $aCmps[$j][2] ; * $iCmpAsc
          Case 1 ; Compare column values as strings. StringCompare is a spaceship or three-way comparison operator for strings.
            $r = StringCompare( $v[$j], $aItems[DllStructGetData($tIndex,1,$mi+1)][$c] ) * $aCmps[$j][2] ; * $iCmpAsc
        EndSwitch
        $j += 1
      WEnd
      Switch $r
        Case -1
          $hi = $mi - 1
        Case  1
          $lo = $mi + 1
        Case  0 ; Equal
          ExitLoop
      EndSwitch
    WEnd
    If $i > $mi Then _ ; Make space for the row number in index
      DllCall( $hKernel32Dll, "none", "RtlMoveMemory", "struct*", $pIndex+($mi+1)*4, "struct*", $pIndex+$mi*4, "ulong_ptr", ($i-$mi)*4 )
    DllStructSetData( $tIndex, 1, $i, $mi+1+($lo=$mi+1) ) ; Insert row number $i at position $mi+1+($lo=$mi+1) in index
  Next
EndFunc

Or you can download this file if you prefer: Sort.au3

I have tested how long time the three methods (_ArrayMultiColSort by Melba23, SQLite sort by Chimp, and the method above) takes to sort six arrays with 10,000/50,000 rows and 3/6/9 columns. The arrays are sorted by column 0 (strings), 1 (integers) and 2 (reals). Column 0 and 1 contains a relatively large number of duplicates.

Results for 10,000 rows:

$aItems[10000][3]                      $aItems[10000][6]                      $aItems[10000][9]

Fill array ...                         Fill array ...                         Fill array ...
Fill array ... done                    Fill array ... done                    Fill array ... done

Sort by index ...                      Sort by index ...                      Sort by index ...
Time: 1217.88761269971                 Time: 1248.21605830786                 Time: 1236.41466104082
Sort by index ... done                 Sort by index ... done                 Sort by index ... done

Sort by SQLite ...                     Sort by SQLite ...                     Sort by SQLite ...
Time: 2635.69246331332                 Time: 3543.51988465855                 Time: 4398.68212872624
Sort by SQLite ... done                Sort by SQLite ... done                Sort by SQLite ... done

Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ...         Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ...         Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ...
Time: 1146.7832396923                  Time: 1521.86873177777                 Time: 1831.70970213038
Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ... done    Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ... done    Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ... done

Results for 50,000 rows:

$aItems[50000][3]                      $aItems[50000][6]                      $aItems[50000][9]

Fill array ...                         Fill array ...                         Fill array ...
Fill array ... done                    Fill array ... done                    Fill array ... done

Sort by index ...                      Sort by index ...                      Sort by index ...
Time: 7166.40803514761                 Time: 7174.31887542089                 Time: 7188.0017143575
Sort by index ... done                 Sort by index ... done                 Sort by index ... done

Sort by SQLite ...                     Sort by SQLite ...                     Sort by SQLite ...
Time: 13285.8896390571                 Time: 17742.5454596211                 Time: 21928.3266376507
Sort by SQLite ... done                Sort by SQLite ... done                Sort by SQLite ... done

Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ...         Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ...         Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ...
Time: 6216.31940253656                 Time: 8181.67386319132                 Time: 10040.1219591297
Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ... done    Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ... done    Sort by _ArrayMultiColSort ... done

All necessary code to repeat the tests is included in the zip: Sorting.7z. Run Test.au3.

I'm interested in this topic because I need a quick way to sort and maintain (large) arrays in Virtual listviews for huge number of rows.

Edited by LarsJ

No, but it can reveal fastest when the sorting conditions become complex, as I examplified before. It certainly is the most flexible approach but this comes at a price. This is a common tradeoff.