Check boxes

Hi Guys,

So im new to Auto IT, i have created a few installs and im getting my head round it BUT i have come across a package with Check boxes, non of them are ticked by default, I need to tick 2 of the 4.....Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the command or methods i could use to automate this step please? Bear in mind i am new to this! :) Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi, gingerpantman, welcome to the forum. Can you share what application you're trying to install, and have you investigated just doing a silent install? 99% of modern applications allow you to install and choose your features, all without having to manipulate the GUI. That will save you tons of headache :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

It's an InstallShield-wrapped product, so it should support silent install. What do you find if you do the following in a command line?

<path to executable> /?
-or-
<path to executable> /s

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

• Moderators

From the Installation Guide, found here: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/426611O/installation-guide-rfid-tracking-system-sw-hw-78-8123-9199-0.pdf

So, create your response file, then call ShellExecuteWait in your script.

Appendix E – Automating Client Installation

Creating a response file NOTE:

Administrator rights are required for the following steps. With the release of the 3M RFID Tracking System version 3.x, it is now easier to deploy the software to new workstations or to upgrade existing workstations using standard Install Shield response files. This document will outline how to create and use response files for both new software installations as well as how to upgrade existing workstations. In order to automate the 3M installation / upgrade program so it can be deployed in silent mode (no user input required), you must first run Setup.exe with the /r switch from a command prompt to generate a response file, which stores information about the selections and options selected by the user at run time. When the command Setup.exe /r is run from a command prompt, it displays all the run-time dialog boxes, and stores the data in a file called Setup.iss, created inside the local system's \Windows folder. If you want to specify an alternative response file location and name instead of the default, you can use the /f1 argument. The /f1 argument allows you to specify where the response file is (or where it should be created) and what its name is. For example: Setup.exe /r /f1"C:\Temp\RFIDUpgrade.iss"

How to create a response file for new software installation:

To create a response file, you must run the Setup.exe command from a command prompt so you can add the /r switch and /f1 switch if you want to specify the location and name of the response file. Then, just follow the installation as you would normally select the options for this specific installation. Start with a PC that you can verify all selections will work once the software is installed. When creating a response file for a new software installation, you may need to create several response files based on the various configurations of the 3M RFID modules (Pad Monitor and/or System Manager). This way, you can run the appropriate response file for only the modules that a PC needs. For example: you could create one response file that only installed the Pad Monitor module and connect to the SQL database. You could then create another separate response file would be used to install both pad Monitor and System Manager. You could then run a batch file with the appropriate response file with the Setup.exe command to install the appropriate modules. How to create a response file for upgrades: Upgrades are somewhat easier as they only require a few selections to upgrade the components already installed on the computer. Just as with a new install, start with a PC that you can verify the upgrade was successful, then use a different PC test the silent install on to confirm the upgrade worked. Since the upgrade is simpler, you should only need one response file for an upgrade, compared to possibly several for a new installation. 

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help on this is far its been great! hopefully one last point and it goes back to check boxes, So i need to find a way of ticking our Southampton option, I have used the finder tool and it highlights the box in red, Not the tick boxes below. I need to know how to tick the box as i can only seem to do it with a mouse at the moment, no key combinations or enter seem to tick the box.

Capture.PNG

Chances are those settings are saved in the registry.  If they are you should be able to set them there.  It may take a program restart to read the settings.

You can use the tool procmon to see what registry changes are made when you toggle the checkboxes.
http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson5/all/

• 2 weeks later...