TheSaint

v2.0 uploaded, see first post.

WARNING - While this update does create a backup during the FIX process (requiring manual removal), unless you are sure of a previously created backup for each user, I would recommend creating your own manually. Each user file is only fixed, the first time it is selected by a user. The previous does not apply if you've already updated to v1.6 or newer.

Relocated the SAVE LIST button to a right-click list entry - 'Save the List to file'.
The 'Restore after last Query' right-click list entry has been relocated to 'Restore previous prices' under the 'Query' right-click menu.
The ON TOP button has taken SAVE LIST button location, and the ADD button has been halved in height.
A black 'from -> to' label and an 'exchange rate currency conversion price' input field have been added on main program window, and options to enable them (etc) have been provided on the 'Settings' window. Clicking that black label, will show the currently set (if any) exchange rate in a dialog. If enabled, the exchange rate and price is also recorded when an ebook is designated as bought.
Colors for price changes, can now be changed by clicking the colored labels on the 'Settings' window, which will show a color picker window.
An extra color and 'Sweet' price have been added (white by default), so that an entry line will change to that color if the changed price is at or below that value.
To set a 'Sweet' price, select an ebook entry and then use the right-click list entry 'Set a SWEET price', found under the 'Selected Entry' menu options.
Other minor improvements added or changes made.
A secret setting was added to show the number of price changes per ebook entry. This is not set (by default), but can be manually set by editing the 'Settings.ini' file if you wish, under the [Total Changes] section ... just change 'get=4' to 'get=1'. When enabled, it displays the count of changes after the displayed number of ebook entries in the list (List Of Kindle Ebooks), each time you select an ebook entry.

NOTES - You can see this as the first anniversary edition version of the program, if you like (though strictly speaking, we are a couple of weeks late).
If the 'exchange rate currency conversion price' cannot be determined (i.e. no Internet connection) then the 'Current' price (but ending in @), will be shown in the input field instead.
The secret setting was added so I could check on total price changes, while determining whether I needed to add an archiving ability, because that number might grow too large. As it turns out, it appears the INI entry can support well over a thousand changes, which by my reckoning will involve several years. So any impacting issue seems unlikely. This is price changes for an ebook entry that has been on the list, for something like that length of time. I currently have an ebook entry on my list, that has been there since the 22nd January 2015, and it has had 83 price changes. That is the highest number of changes per ebook on my list. So going by that average for a year, it is likely to take over 10 years to get up around a thousand price changes for that particular ebook. In all likelihood, prices changes for an ebook will probably lessen over the years. The number of price changes is governed by many factors, not least of which, is how many times you use the program to check. But I will of course review the situation in an ongoing manner. I imagine it would be pretty impressive indeed, if my program lasts long enough to encounter issues in that regard.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Mmmmm .... Just to be different, I thought I would create a user called Aussie, and give that the same ebooks I have on my main list, but from the Aussie Amazon site instead, of which I am not a member ... yet.

All the same ebooks that I could find, that is, as in the past I found some at my version of the American Amazon store, are not available at the Aussie one, and that is why I still remain on the American site, rather than move (optionally) to the Aussie one when it became available a couple of years ago. It also seemed to me back then, that even taking the Exchange Rate into account, that the ebooks that were available in both places, where cheaper at the American store.

So anyway, to cut a long story short, I could not add an ebook link from the Aussie store to my new Aussie user, which I now need to investigate, especially as it would seem to me, that any user of the program not using the American Amazon store, would have the same problem.

While I am fixing that, I thought I would add an exclusion (per user) for the Exchange Rate option I added in this latest version, because obviously I don't want the Aussie dollar to be seen the same as the American one, and I am not about to switch it on & off all the time, as I switch between users.

I also saved my main user list to a text file, to help with finding matching ebooks for the Aussie user, and having never really used that option before (since adding it way back when), discovered I had set it to save to CSV only. So as that is not the best format for my current use, I am also going to make a simple TXT version as another option.

So v2.1 is only around the corner, and far sooner than I expected. What a difference a day makes.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

The v2.1 update is working well, but I have decided I would like to add a Compare option, between Users ... just so I have a quick way to compare prices between Amazon stores. I may not get around to that today, so anyone waiting, will have to wait a little longer for the upload of v2.1.

Going through the ebooks on my main list and then finding those items on the Aussie store, I found that 5 out of 44 weren't available (had no page). To be fair, even though three of those had a page at the American store, they weren't available to me there either. So that just left two that were available at the American store, but not the Aussie one. The next stage for me, is to compare prices ... Aussie vs American (Exchange Rate converted). A casual glance/comparison shows me a difference of about 50 cents more for some of them (maybe all), but as the Exchange Rate is subjective, it is not an exact science. So I want to check for larger discrepancies.

Taking note of what I do pay at the American store as opposed to what I could have paid at the Aussie one, will be the ultimate comparison test, but not something you can do, until you do it.

P.S. I also want to go through my 'purchased' list to see how many of those are currently available at the Aussie store. The two ebooks I could but couldn't get, were what you would call Fan Fiction, so probably not enough to prevent me using the Aussie instead of the American store, though coupled with Price, it would be a strong argument against. If of course, I find novels by authors I am really into, unavailable at the Aussie store, but available to me at the American one, then it is all over red rover ... and that is what I recall ... but that was early days for the Aussie Amazon store, and they have no doubt improved since then ... though some (many?) Publishers are well known for being stupid, so nothing would surprise me where they are concerned.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I did find time and inclination after all, to do the Comparison code tonight, but I am not uploading v2.1 just yet ... still testing and contemplating.

You can see my results of the first comparison and a discussion about it in Chat.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I have finally worked out the Search terms I need to search the Amazon store (any one). So I am going to add a Search option (probably right-click), where you can specify the store to search for the currently selected ebook entry. I may also add a blank field option to search for any Author &/or Title.

i.e. http://www.amazon.com.au/gp/search/ref=sr_adv_b/?search-alias=digital-text&unfiltered=1&field-keywords=The%2BShepherd%27s%2BCrown&field-author=Terry+Pratchett

I have also decided to add a selected Comparison option via right-click, so you can just compare a single ebook price from the current user with another (previously specified) user. And probably have a setting that stores that value at the time of a purchase.

So v2.1 will be a little longer now before uploading.

Spoiler

userbar.png

v2.1 uploaded, see first post.

WARNING - While this update does create a backup during the FIX process (requiring manual removal), unless you are sure of a previously created backup for each user, I would recommend creating your own manually. Each user file is only fixed, the first time it is selected by a user. The previous does not apply if you've already updated to v1.6 or newer.

'Save the List to file' can now optionally save to a TXT file, instead of CSV. It is a simpler list, with just Ebook Title followed by Author Name.
An 'Exempt' option has been added per user for the 'Exchange Rate' when enabled.
A bugfix for URL format, when not using the main (American) Amazon store. I had foolishly included a trailing backslash after '.com', which would have impacted those from other countries (though I've had no complaints ... perhaps they are doing what I am, and are not using their local Amazon store ... if they even have one).
Various other improvements, including the option to just add basic details from another user, when adding an already existing ebook, that you weren't aware of perhaps (though I'm using that feature, so I can add the same ebook from another Amazon site, with a different URL, but same ISBN type identity), plus a Splash added for initial 'Exchange Rate' process.
A comparison option was added, with an entry 'SET current as Compare participant' on the right-click menu option for USERS. This is really only useful, if you are wanting to compare prices from two different (country based) Amazon Kindle stores for the same ebooks. When the second participant is added, you get prompted to continue with the Compare process and an eventual text file list of results.
Another Compare price option, for just the selected ebook title has been added to the'Selected Entry' menu, named 'Compare to another user'. That user must have been set on the Settings window. A 'Save' option there will also enable recording of the other user price during a purchase. It is up to you to ensure that price is up-to-date.
Cosmetic changes- SEARCH label renamed to FIND, and other related inputs resized.
A Search Store option was added, with the specific Amazon address taken from an input field on the Settings window. An InputBox with currently selected Ebook Title and Author Name is  displayed, but those values can be edited or replaced, prior to commencing the Search. Remove the pipe '|' separator between Title and Author, to do a non-author specified Title or Author search.
I've now added some other currencies (country codes). Those few who downloaded v2.0 may want to clear the 'Settings.ini' entry (Conversion -> currencies) so that it can be updated. The newly added 'CODES' button will do this easily while preserving any older differences, and also allows easy addition of other country codes.
Country codes can be found at - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217
Bugfix for a missing zero and required two decimal places when an integer, for exchange rate converted price.

NOTES - Because I have a slow Internet connection, the program is slow to finish starting up while the Exchange Rate is queried from Google, because I have that option enabled. First couple of days it was only a few seconds, today it is double that and more. It may also be related to how busy Google is etc.

Spoiler

userbar.png

It has occurred to me, that the program could benefit from shipping the Exchange Rate query (especially at start) off to Adlib. As I noted in last post, it is slow, and thus delays being able to use the program for several seconds.

While the program is running, it only queries the Exchange Rate once, unless you disable and then re-enable the option, causing another query.

So if I just have it doing the Query in the background so to speak, by using Adlib, then it would be less painful, and allow me to do things as per normal.

Normal for me, by the way, is a slow connection and a slow program start anyway, as the List is populated quite slowly on my Netbook. It is almost instant on my Laptop, which is how I imagine it is for most users. So I guess any benefit will be mostly to me.

The other alternative, is to provide a timed MsgBox with the option to opt out of getting the Exchange Rate, but that just adds another delay. Perhaps I might do both together.

P.S. It's not really a biggie for me, just frustrating that I am having to wait some 10 to 15 seconds or more before I can start using the program. I like the idea of a simple solution to that.

EDIT

Today, when firing the program up, the Exchange Rate query was much faster and only took about a second. What a difference a day makes (or time). So I will not hurry to add the Adlib feature, if indeed I ever do ... just for a few slow connection days. Still, I may add it just because it would be an improvement, especially if another update idea comes along and I am looking for others.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

v2.2 uploaded, see first post.

Minor bugfix for Users' temp file, so that changes are cleared for all users on program exit.
Bugfix for wrongly named key in 'Compare to another user'.
Bugfix for Store Search, when editing or replacing criteria (sorry about that - copy & paste error).
Improved the restoration of line color when changing between users after a Query.
'Exchange Rate Query' now shown on the PLEASE WAIT splash, after a 3 second prompt to abort the query, with the added option to about any further queries that session.
The 'Exchange Rate' is now re-queried from Google if more than 59 minutes has elapsed since last query, and the program is still running in the same session. That default can be modified to a user preference, by modifying the minutes value in the 'Settings.ini' file, under the 'recheck' key in the '[Conversion]' section (i.e. recheck=59).
Added a 'Last' price record and right-click option 'Price -> Last' to recall it. This may remain blank until a price change occurs for that ebook entry (except for first time installers or new ebook additions, as it is prefilled to the 'Start' price).

NOTE - Discovered a few bugs this time, with the 2nd & 3rd bugs only applying to v2.1 of the program. For the 3rd (main) one, I forgot to rename a variable for the Store Search code, after copy & paste ... perhaps I got distracted at the time ... crap happens ... like today for instance, where I was in the middle of this latest update, when I got a call from my missus (she was at work) about Firefox telling her she had a brand new virus, currently unknown to Anti-Virus on her computer, that needed to be dealt with right away (call this toll free number). So I had to deal with that bag of tricks, even visiting her work to pick up the laptop (she works close by), before getting back to work on my code. That and related stuff proved to be an episode in dramarama, with me not feeling well disposed toward Microsoft (Win 8.1 foolishness), by the time I finished. The smell of vomit near the front door as I was leaving (probably dog, but still haven't found anything). Stinking hot car. No shade at my missus work, where I foolishly attempted to fix her laptop on the spot, but failed, because I couldn't find Paint.exe to save my screenshot, so I went home with it. Then just as I arrived home, a visitor rocked up. Later, my youngest son showed me how to find the Paint program, and bugger me if it wasn't the exact first method I tried, but it had failed for me for some reason (if you listen carefully, you can hear my teeth gnashing). I still don't know why it didn't show up in my other searches.

I decided after all, not to bother with the Adlib method I mentioned earlier, but just provided a 3 second delay with a Msgbox prompt, to allow bypassing the Google query for Exchange Rate ... essentially just as an aid to overcome any issue that may arise ... if it hung for instance, not returning from the query - you could then kill the program and restart and bypass ... perhaps disabling the query option before later closing the program.

Most of the rest of this update, is minor bugfixes and some improvements to existing processes, plus one new useful (perhaps) right-click option.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Just for your interest.

Since I began using a VPN, I have had issues some days, where the program cannot Ping servers (www.google.com etc).

I don't really understand why, despite my research, especially as some days are fine ... unless the VPN is not working properly on those days ... which would be a worry.

So if anyone has a handle on this situation, especially a solution, it would be great to hear.

Meanwhile, I have crafted a small update, which allows continuing (or attempting to) if the Ping fails when "Other Errors" is reported. I have added some other minor things to the update too.

I will  upload soon, but I am hanging off doing that, until another complimentary program of mine (AZWPlug) is also ready to upload, as it will be added to this topic as a Bonus.

AZWPlug is a stand-a-lone Kindle Ebook database, that also works as an addon for the great open source program calibre. I just need to change a few things for public consumption ... chiefly the option to remove (and set) Registry right-click entries ... and for those who would prefer, the ability to just drag and drop a AZW or MOBI file on the executable. I have some reasons for sharing the program (which I have been using for ages now, but just given a major update to the other day), but I will declare them when I upload.

Spoiler

userbar.png

v2.3 uploaded, see first post.

Added a Tooltip for Ebook List to show ISBN, Title & Author (updated when an entry is selected). The tooltip is also updated after a single item Query, displaying 'Queried' plus a trailing date and time.
If the Ping process fails, but GetIP doesn't, and the Ping Error is 'Other Errors', then you can optionally choose to continue with connecting (or try to). I added this option, because of a seeming issue while using a VPN, where www.google.com refused to return a successful ping.
To change the 'Server Address' to a default, either clear the field or type in 'autoit', then close the 'Settings' window. Cleared returns 'www.google.com' and 'autoit' returns 'www.autoitscript.com'.
'Finished!' is now briefly displayed in the green 'Please Wait!' label, after Querying a single ebook entry.

NOTES - A very minor update to address some possible issues. See the next post for information about the Bonus program (AZWPlug).

Spoiler

userbar.png

AZWPlug v2.2 - see first post for the download.

I decided that others could benefit from the inclusion of a nifty little program I made and have been using for quite some time. I recently did some major updates to it, and it is now suitable for public consumption ... hopefully.

Basically, this program is two things.

[1] Stand-a-lone Kindle Ebook Database.

[2] Addon (helper or a kind of frontend) for Kindle ebooks with open source ebook database program Calibre.

In short, it has the ability to parse a AZW or MOBI file (DRM or not) to get the basic details (Title, Author(s), Date, Publisher). So essentially it reads the file header.

You use the program, by either -

[1] Just executing it to get to the Database Viewer.

[2] Dragging and Dropping the ebook file onto the executable or its shortcut.

[3] Enabling the Registry right-click context menu option, so that you can right-click on your ebook file and choose the 'Scan Ebook' entry, from the context menu that appears.

Both options [2] and [3] parse the ebook file and present the data in a Display window, where that can be adjusted if need be. When that window is closed, the Database Viewer window is opened with the ebook entry selected.

From the Database Viewer window, you can elect to add the ebook(s) to a list for Calibre to import via command-line, when you select that option. You can also choose to run a program before and/or after Calibre import, and before Calibre itself opens. I have provided two BAT file examples that install a plugin and then remove it.

If the ebook is already in the database, you will be told so, with details and the option to visit its entry in the database or parse it again or just skip (quit).

NOTES - Many of the buttons etc feature a right-click menu option and/or an alternative use when CTRL or SHIFT is held down. Program Information describes many (if not all) of them.

REQUEST

When you use the program to parse an ebook, you will find it has three methods to do so. The fully automated attempt is the first one, and selected by default. That method fails with various Kindle ebooks, so the second or third method will be required to get around that, requiring manual selection of the elements or editing.

It seems fairly certain to me, that I am not parsing the file headers as they could be, due to insufficient knowledge about them, so my request (and another reason for providing this program) is that anyone who does understand all the odd looking ASCII tags (or whatever they are called), might hopefully explain them to me.

The tags or characters are - NAK, SOH, DC1, ETX, ACK, SYN and so on that you can read a little about in the ASCII Character Codes section of the AutoIt Help file. I imagine they represent some kind of field layout or something, that can be used to determine the basic detail about an ebook, simply and directly ... without having to do all the tricky stuff I am doing in my program.

So any knowledge in that regard would be wonderful.

P.S. I use this program, because looking at a Kindle ebook file, you have no clue what ebook it is, due to the naming convention used (ISBN number or whatever it is).

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 3 weeks later...

Currently working on the next update, which at this stage, is just about the right-click issue discussed way back when, and which I have now hopefully solved, after being inspired by an answer Melba23 gave in General Help recently. It wasn't the light bulb moment I originally thought it was, but it has helped lead me to a workable solution.

It is funny the things you know but don't realize you know, until the right spark happens. It is all too easy to overlook things, by the way you approach them. Approach them from another perspective, and suddenly the light shines into those seldom visited or recalled areas.

We have a wonderful Help file (and examples) really, but it is a lot to remember and takes some navigating at times, and in the end it is all about how your mind cross-references things.

P.S. A productive coding time last night. Worked on updates to three programs, finishing two, but still working on my KindEbook Wishlist one ... mostly checking and testing, but also better incorporating changes that I did quickly to test out my hypothesis.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

v2.4 uploaded, see first post.

A major reworking of right-click List entry selection. This means, you should be able to reliably make a List entry active, with a right-click, as well as the normal left-click.

ADVICE - If you are happy with your current version of the program, then don't feel you have to update to v2.4. However, unless I have a reason to roll-back changes, then they will remain in future updates. So it is perhaps in all our interests if you do update now, and report any bugs which may occur ... not saying that they will, but it takes time to test things fully. So you can take it I have given the changes a good test, but in a limited time frame fashion.

NOTES - This is a great improvement, but not 100% perfect, though hopefully perfect enough to avoid errors (time will tell). What stops it being perfect, is when you right-click subsequent List entries without using a left-click between. This is evidenced by the FIND field for Author or Title not being updated immediately, and occurs because my method does not intercept the right-click menu process, only recreates the right-click menu at need. This should not be a problem, because any menu entry that is selected, checks for the currently highlighted List entry, causing an update to the field and (more importantly) program knowledge of selected item. So in short, a visual delay only ... in essence. Normal usage of the program (left then right click) should not be impacted in any case. The first right-click after a left-click, should always now update the field etc.

Thanks to Melba23 for indirectly pointing me in a direction that ultimately proved fruitful.

Spoiler

userbar.png

BUGS were detected in v2.4. I discovered them whilst testing v2.5.

My apologies to the three users who downloaded.

Chiefly, I missed some menu item assignments, that because of changes were declared too soon, and so not set correctly when needed. Amongst other failures, it meant a search of non-favorites didn't work, or the setting of Start and End points for a Query, were being ignored.

I had not intended to do another update anytime soon, as I was out of ideas, but during waking this morning, one popped into my head, and while doing that a couple more occurred to me, so I did them too.

While seemingly finished, I am now chasing down the bugs I discovered while testing.

I really don't know how I missed the assignments, as I recall thinking I must check for them. Perhaps I was distracted before I got to them, and then subsequently forgot. Seems likely, with all the distractions of late. I certainly don't recall checking.

Changes in upcoming v2.5 - BUGFIX obviously, plus the ability for each user to set a default sort order when starting the program or changing user. The QUERY button now displays QUERY ALL when the Query All checkbox is selected. I have reworked the code for wait duration between items on the list being queried (Random & Normal), for when that is set. In essence I have divided a single SLEEP into durations of one second or less, to hopefully assist AbLib calls for the Timer and quicker response time for STOP of a Query All. I also added a single decimal point to the Random option for greater variety.

Spoiler

userbar.png

v2.5 uploaded, see first post.

BUGFIX for v2.4 bugs where some menu settings were being declared before menu was created.
The QUERY button now displays 'QUERY ALL' when a 'Query All' is selected.
Added a 'Sorted' checkbox, so that a User can specify their default sort arrangement or recall the last one.
If using the WAIT option between each entry query, the code has now been improved to not only have more variability (now includes a single decimal point, for part of a second), but to also (hopefully) give a smoother Time display and a quicker response to indicate a STOP has been received. However, there is still the inevitable lag involving server responses, because of no multi-threading capability.

NOTES - See previous post for details about the bug. As always, testing takes a long time with this program, so you can take it that I haven't been able to do much so far ... hopefully enough though.

I have noted a bug, that occurs once in a while with the Right-Click Menu code, which I have so far been unable to reproduce at will. A simple sort may fix it or restarting the program (certainly) or changing users. It involves a selected entry appearing to be locked, and not updating (visually at least) when using either left or right click selection. It appears to happen with a precise set of circumstances (sequence of events), and probably not regular use.

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 1 month later...

This is the post that nearly was, until a Gremlin decided to do a Refresh on me, and I lost a few paragraphs of important text.

I'd stopped using my WebPad program, because this forum had a wonderful recovery ability, which now appears to be missing (Full Editor??).

I may recreate the post (which never works well) ... or more likely just do it again from scratch in a few days.

It started out something like the following ....

IMPORTANT ADVICE

It has recently come to my attention, that at least one of you, and possibly more, have not picked up on the fact that the program has been working with a fully 'Automated' mode since v1.4.

P.S. When Life sometimes throws a spanner in the works, you just need to say 'Bugger you, I'm not playing your game.'

Spoiler

userbar.png

IMPORTANT ADVICE

It has recently come to my attention, that at least one of you, and possibly more, have not picked up on the fact that the program has been working with a fully 'Automated' mode since v1.4. My apologies for not being as clear about that as I probably should have been.

Originally the program only had the fully 'Automated' mode, but it wasn't known as a mode back then, as it was just the only way it worked. At some point Amazon made some changes, and so the program stopped working, and because it didn't look as if I could get it working that way anymore, I created 'Manual' mode. A little while later, I got some elements to work automatically again, and so added a 'Semi-Auto' mode.

This was back when the program was called KindEbook Price Query. Somewhere around that time, I renamed the program to KindEbook Wishlist. This was done partly because it sounded a better name, and also as a bid to convince Amazon, if they were paying attention, that the program wasn't a Price Compare one, but just an Amazon Kindle Wishlist on steroids, that was smarter and quicker and had a history element.

Perhaps that eventually worked, because I managed to get a fully 'Automated' mode happening again when I got to the v1.4 update. It was somewhat less than perfect, and I was unsure if it was working well for others from a different country, and so I was a bit tentative about promoting it as back to its former (almost) glory ... I was also keenly aware that Amazon could change things again at any time.

Obviously some that had already been using the program for a while, didn't notice the change, and never thought or knew to change the mode to 'Automated' in the 'Settings' window ... hence this additional belated effort to educate (make aware). All first time users though, would have been using the 'Automated' mode by default, so most of this post is not for them.

A big difference 'Automated' mode makes to the joy, speed and simplicity of using the program, and so that is all I have been using myself, since v1.4.

In recent times I have worked on other updates and fixed several things (including Title and Author names). So in some instances, it does work as good as it ever did, and the one remaining issue with some ebooks, where 'Image Data' cannot be determined, now gives a prompt to download the ebook cover as a JPG, if that link is found to exist. So I have added that and some other nice new features.

Stay tuned for an update being available soon.

Spoiler

Hopefully I haven't missed anything of merit, when I recreated this post (that a Gremlin zapped). They never turn out as good as the original ... at least for me. If it serves its purpose to make those who need to be aware, aware, then it was worth the effort. I used my WebPad program of course this time around, to make sure no pesky Gremlin could spoil my day again.

Spoiler

userbar.png

IMPORTANT ADVICE (again)

While working on an adaption of the program for something else, I discovered a major bug affecting first time users. Going by the number of downloads, I am not sure why this hasn't been reported. This bug goes all the way back, to where I gave the program a Multiple User ability. Those who have been using the program since before then, and just kept updating, wouldn't have been impacted by this bug. I found an empty section name in the 'Settings.ini' file, for the first time user (first install), which led me to this bug.

I have fixed this bug, and more, and will provide an update soon. At the moment I am mostly waiting to see what other issues I might discover during my (JB Hifi) adaptation ... I've also found a handful of rather minor ones so far.

P.S. First time users can just provide a username (in the 'Settings.ini' file) as the empty section name etc to get around this issue. Closing the program and restarting it may also solve this, as may creating/adding a user within the program. Only happens for the first user.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 3 weeks later...

v3.2 uploaded, see first post.

BUGFIXES (minor & major) & lots of improvements.

Re-arrangement of a few things, bugfixes, etc.
Right-click context menu for the Ebook list, has had the position of some items changed.
When doing a Query ALL, the button now displays a title indicative of whether 'Favorites', 'Non-Favorites' or neither is selected (also adapted for my personal EXCEL mode).
A few minor bugfixes (variable declaration & naming).
Improvements to Image Data checking code (kind of a bugfix for if exists).
A major bugfix, for when creating a first time username (affected new users only).
An important bugfix for changes in new Amazon pages, that prevented the gleaning of Title and Author names, plus the detection of the JPG cover file URL.
Another bugfix for the rare occasion the URL doesn't contain the normal split character after the ISBN type ID, but includes trailing text starting with a question mark.

NOTES - Got side-tracked when redoing v3.1 (which needed doing due to a major bug from way back that I just discovered), so decided to create a v3.2 instead, which aside from bugfixes, also has some additional changes/improvements.
The non-typical URL format, appears to be related to a search query result at Amazon.
Amazon, every now and then, changes a keyword or modifies it slightly, so that is why elements are sometimes not gleaned correctly (or at all), and why this program will no doubt need updating every once in a while, to keep up with changes.
Surprised no-one had reported the major bugfix issue. I guess the issue was possibly solved the second time you started the program as a new user (or more likely, created/added a user from within the program), except that no previous settings would have been recoverable. I discovered this bug, because I found a [] entry in the Settings.ini file, with some settings in it. I was weeding out update stuff at the time.
I think the issued occurred, after I gave the program the ability to have multiple users. Instead of having just one Catalog.ini file, that file took the name of the current user (i.e. Jabbers.ini), so each user had their own. I adjusted the code to cater for that, and so prior users of the program would not have noticed anything or had an issue. However, somehow I missed doing the necessary for a first time user ... until now. It really was a Facepalm moment. I always wonder when I find these sorts of bugs, what may have distracted me at the time, that caused me to forget doing that section of code. I would have known at the time, that I needed to do it, but somehow it didn't happen. Perhaps it was due to one of those inopportune Bluescreens I was having for a while back then (which often resulted in a corrupt file and some loss of work).

Been a while between updates uploaded here, so see below for details of other updates not previously listed.

Spoiler

(v3.1)
This is not really an update in the true sense, but may assist some users.
Added a 'once only' query and information dialog for those not using 'automatic' mode.

(v3.0)
Minor update & Bugfixes. Publication date (if available and not just when a pre-order) is now always stored as a comment. In addition, if available, Publisher (and date) is always added to the start of the Summary (Book Description). Publisher can also be obtained using that new 'Get Missing' right-click option. Bugfix for Excel option (Splash). Bugfix for the cover JPG routine added in v2.9, where I discovered that a non existent JPG at Amazon, caused a huge (HTML) entry value to be created for the INI file 'image' key. Per request from willichan, I added support for adding Kindle ebooks with something like 'http://smile.amazon.com'.

(v2.9)
Minor bugfix for Ebook Title failure, and thus Author Name(s) failure. This was due solely to a case change in the web page for 'productTitle', which is now 'ProductTitle', so purely the first character being uppercase now.
Added a routine to detect a likely cover JPG, when obtaining the 'Image Data' fails, that prompts to download that JPG if found.
NOTE - My apologies for taking so long to fix these issues, though no-one complained. I'd just been using the Rename facility for Title and Author, and so manually adding them, plus using the 'Get Missing -> Image via URL' option for the ebook cover.

(v2.8)
Program now remembers last window position.
Label for Exchange currency codes is no longer disabled, and can now also be clicked to return the exchange rate conversion value for current item, when that option is not set.
NOTE - This requires an Internet connection and the option status does not change. This allows for quick checking of a single item, without changing current program settings.

(v2.7)
Major Bugfix for 'Last Control ID' and other right-click context menu related elements.
Author & Title text has been added to several input boxes.

(v2.6)
Clicking the FIND label will show or hide the PLEASE WAIT label (shown during a Query).
It also does a manual reset for the right-click context menu settings.
Added a (hidden/disabled) personal (right-click) Query button option, for me to use the program with my Excel Booklist and macros (won't work for others unless enabled, plus modified significantly to suit. WARNING - Don't attempt this unless you understand it).
The number of changed prices for a Query Report, is now displayed in the dialog title.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

They say a man's work is never done ... and with this program, that is a surety.

For at least two ebook web pages on my current list, that worked okay yesterday, things have been changed by Amazon. That means no doubt, that other pages will be changing sometime soon too .... I suspect.

I will code a fix sometime soon, but have been busy with my JB Wishlist adaption for JB Hifi, which is nearly finished and works great ... and even has some new features that I've not yet added to KindEbook Wishlist, but probably will (i.e. a Preview Window or Splash ... former includes a running log element for price Query).

P.S. My success with JB Wishlist will no doubt lead to further adaptions to other stores, with the JB version being easier to adapt than the KindEbook one.

Spoiler

userbar.png