TheSaint

Program updated to v3.4, see first post.
Added some improvements.

Clicking on column headers for the Ebook list has been modified a little, to include Columns 5 (Start) & 7 (High) as jump buttons, going to first and last ebook entries respectively, plus Column 6 (Low) sort now displays an explanation dialog.
Program Information dialog has now been shrunk in height and expanded to 3 pages.
Added a 'Missing.jpg' file, that is coded to display when a cover image is missing.

NOTE - If you don't like the very basic white with red text, 'Missing.jpg' file, then a plain 'Black.jpg' file has been provided, which can be renamed for use instead ... or just assign/create your own alternative.

V3.3. Detail in spoiler below (that version wasn't uploaded).

Spoiler

BUGFIXES & Improvements.

Bugfix for changes made by Amazon, that prevented price etc being determined on some ebooks.
Added a FAVORITES toggle button on the Image Data viewer window.
Discovered that code for removing Asterisks & Hashes from a previous Query (current session), had not been completed enough to remove previously colored lines and that visual indicator in the Current price column (unless a Sort occurred or User changed) ... now fixed during a full new Query (same session). In any case, that status did not persist after program was closed.
Improved some dialogs (Start at first entry + Remove Asterisks queries).

NOTES - Finally got around to fixing the code for those two Amazon pages that didn't parse the price, and then after thinking I'd solved that, another page parsing stopped working, which required another little tweak ... that was not your regular Amazon ebook page though, as it directed you to another site to purchase the ebook ... so while it did show a price, it was listed in a different location to usual.

While working on this program, I was also often working on my newer adaption, JB Wishlist, because they share many similarities, such that an improvement to one, is also a likely improvement to the other ... if needing some minor difference tweaking. And sometimes I find an error or bug in one, that is likely to be the same in the other.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Program updated to v3.6, see first post.
Bugfixes & improvements since last upload.

Bugfix for bad maths in split of a Query report (after 2nd loop). Initial Low Price of $0.00 is now updated when relevant (incorporates a fix for previous instances).
Bugfix for changes in new Amazon pages, for detection of the JPG cover file URL, and for incorrect checking of multiple author names, with result of book description failure.
Added a right-click 'Selected Entry -> Check line values' option.

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Program updated to v3.8, see first post.
Bugfixes & improvements since last upload.

Where an ebook is a Pre-order and a Publication Date exists, that will now be the default in the Comments field.
Added a right-click 'Selected Entry -> Clear query indicator' option, to clear any asterisk or hash character indicator from the current price column for selected ebook.

Clearing any asterisk or hash character indicator from the current price column for selected ebook, during a Query, has been improved with changes & new options.
Query price error numbers now shown in final report.
Bugfixes for 'Title' etc detection on ADD ebook, plus count in Query report.

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 2 weeks later...

Chat Time

v3.9 should be coming soon, just testing for the moment ... only a couple of niceties so far.

Now that I have been using my program for some time, well over a year, and regularly keeping tabs on things, looking out for patterns etc, I thought I might share a finding or two.

I have seen ebooks get quite heavily discounted at times, only to go back up in price a few days later, maybe even just a day or two. Sometimes they go back up to full price, sometimes halfway between ... sometimes staying at the price, while at  others creeping back to the high price again. So you have to be regularly paying attention to catch the goodies. I've missed out on a few by not being quick enough ... usually because they were a low priority item.

I've found, and most are probably aware of this, that when an author releases or is just about to release a new book, their other releases, especially the previous one, often go down in price ... sometimes quite substantially, especially initially ... they then, if not already, go to the standard price for their ebooks.

I can't speak for all ebooks, but rarely have I seen a pre-order go up in price on release ... maybe some days later. Sometimes on release they are a special cheap price for just one day or a couple.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Program updated to v4.0, see first post.
Improvements since last upload.

(v3.9)
Added the option to show a report dialog for changes found in single item query.
Made adjustments for improved timer updating.
NOTES - The 'Single Item Query' report setting can be altered, via a dialog shown if clicking the Query button while CTRL is held down. Clicking 'NO' will give temporary disablement of single query reporting while the program remains open (running).
Timer updating issues exist, because AutoIt is not multi-threaded, hence the timer will not update during source query of an ebook web page or during the save source to file processes (roughly 10 and 7 seconds respectively, for me). Source query speed is very dependent on your connection speed and the Amazon servers.

(v4.0)
Minor bugfix for 'Single Item Query' report.
The no results splash has also been enabled for single item queries.
Added options for a 'Query List'.
NOTES - Along with 'Query ALL' or 'Query Single Item', you can now do a price query using a temporary list instead.  You can add/enable the Query List, by using right-click menu option or by holding down CTRL when selecting an ebook entry. View, Remove and Wipe menu options are also available, with SHIFT (held like CTRL) doing an alternate remove. Selecting 'Query ALL' will also clear/wipe the Query List.

I've done a few things this time, that I have been thinking about doing, on & off, for quite a while. Query List in particular, I've mmmd and rrrd about as to the real benefit, but sometimes I just get sick of waiting for a long Favorites Query to finish, because I need to go out or to bed, so now I can just Query my favorite favorites.

Spoiler

userbar.png

AZWPlug updated to v2.3.

Added another Registry entry to just get ebook detail if in the database.

NOTES - This was a last minute idea, and not much of an update really. Just an improvement for right-clicking on an already added ebook file, to just get basic detail (Title by Author) from the database, with the option to copy to clipboard. You could sort of do this already, but this adds a specific option that doesn't lead to other processes. The new right-click registry menu entry (if enabled) is 'Get Ebook Detail', when clicking on a MOBI or AZW file.

This is really only useful for files that Kindle For PC places in the 'My Kindle Content' folder in 'My Documents' ... or a backup copy you've placed elsewhere. It is not meant to work with ebook files on a Kindle device, and is not really required in that circumstance anyway, as the files usually have the title as part of the filename, whereas in the 'My Kindle Content' folder you only have a filename like - B00BC7O6MS_EBOK.azw. In any case, there is no support in my program for the newer AZW3 and XLF file type ebook formats, which are only found on Kindle devices.

P.S. Thinking about it now, I probably should have included the filename, when sending to the clipboard ... you can copy the filename easily enough. so next time maybe. :)

Spoiler

userbar.png

Currently working on the next version, which has quite some improvements, one of which was for a weird bug I've found while working on the new stuff, that seems an AutoIt one and not related to my code, but which I have already coded a fix for.

I am presuming this has been fixed in more recent AutoIt, but will look into it later ... unless someone else wants to run their own test meanwhile. To see the issue in action just try the KindEbook Wishlist program - select a list entry while holding down RIGHT CTRL or RIGHT SHIFT.

Anyway, the bug in question is related to RIGHT CTRL (and RIGHT SHIFT). When they are used while selecting an entry on the Listview, then CTRL (and SHIFT) are stuck on (down), requiring the press of LEFT CTRL (and LEFT SHIFT) to restore to normality. This is not those keys together, but independently.

I rarely ever use RIGHT CTRL or RIGHT SHIFT, but had a particular feature I wanted that requires LEFT and RIGHT separation ... that was when I discovered this issue. It was most apparent (on WIN XP) when wanting to change window, but if you ever try that with CTRL held down, you will know exactly what I mean. Likewise with SHIFT, when working in an editor, and every time I change the cursor insert, a whole chunk of text keeps getting highlighted.

The fixes for both CTRL and SHIFT, just involve setting a flag (variable) when either RIGHT CTRL or RIGHT SHIFT are used, and then reacting to that on the next GUI While...Wend cycle. CTRL (or SHIFT) are momentarily held down using Send, then an UP is sent, and the flag (variable) cleared. Just a simple fix that emulates what works manually.

Initially I was thinking it had to be some key problem with my Win XP laptop, but I found the same issue on my Win 7 Netbook.

P.S. When I get a moment, and if I remember, I will set up a scenario with a much earlier version of my program, just to make sure it has indeed been an AutoIt bug all along .... and not somehow related to my code instead. By the way, I am experiencing this using v3.3.0.0 of AutoIt.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

.... a weird bug I've found ........ that seems an AutoIt one and not related to my code .....

It seems, after checking a simpler program of mine, that has a basic Listview setup, that the issue must indeed be related to my code ... though perhaps some kind of timing issue, especially as the problem program has a Listview right-click context menu created on the fly. I am imagining that last is where the issue lies, somehow ... as I hadn't manipulated the state of the CTRL or SHIFT keys, only read them with _IsPressed.

Spoiler

userbar.png

I've encountered a few hold ups with the next update (with important bug work-around), which means a delay before release ... though I am at the code checking stage right now.

Part of the problem, is that I was also working on my adapted version of KindEbook Wishlist - JB Wishlist. I use that for the JB Hifi store. Mostly the two programs are the same, but they have significant differences, due to requirements, store web pages and media type etc. This means, that I sometimes update them separately or can't be bothered doing the necessary adaption of a new feature, right away ... and because JB Wishlist has a Preview Window with running log, that has to often be taken into account.

On this latest occasion, both programs had received new features, which I then decided I wanted on the other. This of course, made for a nightmare almost, mentally, as I foolishly decided to do both at once. Having done that, I was left to checking on variable declarations, which to be honest can be a bit of a nightmare, when copying code in large chunks from one program to another, and also doing adaptions.

I was not really looking forward to that task, so I called my old 'Declare All Variables' program back into action ... hadn't used it in a while. That program however, was created back in 2008, and back then I didn't use 'Local' at all, so there was no support for it. I think the last update to that program was done in 2009, so I haven't worked on it since. Another issue also occurred when I attempted to use it as is - it had no support for versions of AutoIt from v3.2.12.0 and on. That last was necessary, as the program has a recompiling feature for itself, so that new system variables can be added (those found in Include files etc).

So the first thing I needed to do, was to update my 'Declare All Variables' program, at least up to v3.3.0.0, which is still what I currently work with for my newer programs. To that end, I gave it a feature to recognize and adapt to whatever current version of AutoIt I have running at the time of use. While at it, I also added in some support for 'Local' declarations. Doing that last can become quite complex and so beyond the current scope of the program and possibly my abilities ... not without a lot of unwanted headaches anyway. So as well as creating the original Function and Global lists, it now also creates a Local list, plus a Compare list ... all at the end of the selected script. In reality, all those lists are compare ones anyway, as I would have already created the Function and Global lists at the top of each script, adding to them as new variables and functions are written, plus any Local lists wherever required throughout the script. I just use the 'Declare All Variables' program, to catch any variables or functions I missed. By the way, I have all the Functions listed at the start of each script, and use them as an index for the Jump feature in SciTE ... or my improved version with my 'Toolbar For Any' program.

Anyway, after much coding and bug fixing, I finally got my 'Declare All Variables' program working as best it could be, considering its inherent limitations. It made life easier for me, though still gave me a big comparison and checking job to do .... if a lot less so than without having used it.

At that point, I decided I also needed to add at least one more button option to my 'Toolbar For Any' program, to reduce the workload even further. This is not updating the program itself, but just changing user options to add another row of two buttons, and then adding a script for what I want the button(s) to do. In the end, I created scripts for both the new buttons.

Button 1 - for which I modified an existing icon to show the capitals 'FC' (Find Create). Basically you highlight a Control variable, then click the button, and you will be taken to one or more locations in your script, where that Control was created. So long as your Control variable naming meets the requirement of an underscore between type and name, it will work - i.e. $Button_add or $Checkbox_two etc. It needs that first section ($ removed) to determine what to look for (i.e. GuiCtrlCreateButton). As I always name my Control variables that way, it is not an issue.

Button 2 - for which I modified an existing icon to show the capitals 'FD' (Find Declaration). Basically you highlight a variable, then click the button, and you will be taken to one or more locations in your script, where that variable was declared, Local or Global, often seeing many its instances of use in your script, as the program automatically steps through every instance, until it finds a line with Global or Local in it, after which you can exit or look for the next instance (if any).

Those buttons then, are used with the lists created at the end of a script, by 'Declare All Variables'. They reduce the workload quite a bit, and despite the work still required to manually compare things, saves a lot of time and effort. Just the avoidance of copy and paste into a Find dialog, is a Dogsend ... and for FD, the found variable is highlighted, including the comma after, for easy deletion if needed ... dependent of course on where you end up. I also use my NEXT bookmark button to get back to the compare lists.

So currently, I have used 'Declare All Variables' with my KindEbook Wishlist script, and have started using the FC and FD buttons. It is however not a short job, for such a large script full of variables, and life has other demands on my time, but the update should be finished & tested soon.

P.S. You can find both 'Declare All Variables' and 'Toolbar For Any' in my Toolbox, but be advised they are much older versions than what I currently use myself. One major reason I have not uploaded their updates, is because they have not been tested with newer versions of both AutoIt (and SciTE) and Windows. I still predominantly use AutoIt v3.3.0.0 and Win XP on my programming Laptop. I have been considering for some time, to create a new topic in Examples, for updates to many of my programs despite the probable issues ... perhaps I will call it TheSaint's Toolbag ... for many of the programs (and there are many), I use most days still ... even some on my Win 7 Netbook.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

And then a few days later, I find myself wanting to add improvements etc to 'Toolbar For Any', and so I did some updating to that. It now supports up to 40 buttons, instead of just 32. I always thought 32 would be plenty, but apparently not. I've added a Killswitch floating button ... for those OOPS (mad panic) moments with user scripts assigned to a button, that go awry. Added more warning dialogs, etc.

I found I wanted a 33rd button to run a combined version of scripts for buttons 31 & 32, to save on yet even more clicking etc. With 34 buttons, it also allowed me to add a previous facility back in, a CHR button, which reports ASC and CHR values for selected character. I'd had to jettison that ages ago in favor of some facility with higher priority.

And so I've suffered yet another delay, but meanwhile I've come a fair way with my code checking, having at different stages added things to speed that checking up, including this latest improvement to Toolbar For Any.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Program updated to v4.1, see first post.

Improvement to ADD item option, to show CTRL message in Input Box label for next URL.
Code corrections and improvements (including extensive check of declarations).
Last recipient for a Copy or Move ebook, is now stored and recalled for default.
Added a 'Copy List' and 'Move List' as other alternatives. To switch between the List choices, select or deselect the appropriate one available as a right-click option for the QUERY button.
Changed the CTRL option for adding to or removing from the Query List etc, to now be LEFT CTRL.
Bugfixes for sticky CTRL and SHIFT.

NOTES - Discovered a bug, seemingly AutoIt related with Listview, where the use of RIGHT SHIFT or RIGHT CTRL while selecting a Listview entry, causes SHIFT or CTRL to stick on. Never did determine the cause of this bug, but my work-around appears to do its job well enough. I'm am still of a mind that it is timing related, so something to do with a part of my coding method along the way, that AutoIt struggles with. That's my best guess anyway.

Having done an extensive check of declarations, I did discover that 3 same named variables were declared as both Global and Local, though they did different things, so one of each pair was renamed. I discovered a small handful of variables that weren't declared at all. A couple of functions were missing from the function index at the start of the script. I also discovered some unfinished coding business for elements of the new features.

I've done a few days testing and no problems have surfaced, so I feel fairly confident all is sweet.

P.S. Hopefully I have learned my lesson not to update two similar programs simultaneously, with select portions from each. It really does do your head in. I still need to do an extensive check of the other program, now this one is done, but at least my helper scripts and programs are all up-to-scratch now, to help speed that up and ease the labor. I've also created another program, unrelated, meanwhile .... never a dull moment for Johnny Boy.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Program updated to v4.2, see first post.

Bugfix for a program crash due to an error caused by price that started with a $ sign but was a chunk of text, that erroneously got saved/stored. Subsequent queries caused the crash. Price is now checked for digits only after stripping currency sign and period.
When making a Price Query of a corrupted entry, in single item query mode, the program attempts to restore the original price from a backup or just restores to $0.00 or your currency equivalent.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Program updated to v4.4, see first post.

Added another right-click Query button option (Enable Get Total), to get total combined price of items placed on a list (i.e. using CTRL and left click) ... includes exchange rate conversion if available.
Or if CTRL is held down while clicking the QUERY button, then the total price of ALL listed ebooks for the current user, will be returned.
Changed CTRL to SHIFT when clicking the QUERY button, for the 'Single Item Query Report' options.

(v4.3) Not uploaded in time.
Option added to Image Data GUI (Selected Entry Detail) window, for updating the URL.

NOTES - I was inspired to do the v4.4 update, due to a need to get the total price of about 10 ebook items. These items were all short stories belonging to a short story collection, but only available currently as individual ebook downloads, and I wanted to determine the overall cost of buying them all, instead of waiting for the full novel to be released as an ebook. I then thought of other reasons why getting a total price could be handy, so coded it. One of those other reasons, was my Bought list, where in an instant I could see how much I have spent since using that list ... $770 odd would you believe.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Program updated to v4.5, see first post. IMPORTANT BUGFIX for COPY LIST.

Added a REMOVE LIST option for removal of multiple entries at once.
Bugfix for List not being cleared after a COPY LIST process, despite item lines having their color restored.
Clear is now optional via a prompt, in case copying to more than one User.

APOLOGIES - One of the new features introduced in v4.1, COPY LIST, had an important element missing, which I can only speculate was caused by a distraction at an integral moment. This meant, that while colored lines for items that were copied were restored to normal colors after the copy, and seemingly indicating that the List had been cleared, that was not the case, as they remained on the List ... meaning they would also get copied (unknowingly until checked) during any subsequent COPY or MOVE ... while the program remained running. The MOVE LIST option did not create this problem.

So my apologies to anyone who may have been affected by this oversight. I discovered this after being impacted myself.

On the bright side, it drove me to create the new REMOVE LIST option. Partly to help fix my situation, but also because it was on the TODO list anyway.

As for the COPY LIST option, I have now provided a prompt, where the user can decide whether the list is cleared afterward ... or in a scenario where they may want to copy the same items to another User, the line color for each is not restored and the List not cleared. That was my original intent, but it was never fully completed for some reason, but is now.

Spoiler

userbar.png

AZWPlug updated to v2.4.

Added an ON TOP toggle button to top of Display window.
Last ebook entry is now automatically selected on the Display window when location is not specified.
Holding CTRL when clicking the UP/DOWN arrow at first or last entry jumps to the other.
Implemented a personal EXCEL jump facility.

NOTES - Had a need for the Excel element, and the other new elements were outstanding for some time, so added them while I was at it.

FYI - I keep a record of all my books (and ebooks) in an Excel file called BOOKLIST.XLS, where the first column is total number position for entry, second is author(s) name, third is author rank, fourth is book title, fifth is book format, sixth is year of release, seventh is a comment or series, and so on for several more columns. I am now using AZWPlug to help me add new entries (ebooks) to that Excel list. I also have a backup Excel file of just new entries (though it has grown quite large since I last emptied it), called BKUPDATE.XLS. That file is created via macros in my BOOKLIST.XLS file etc. I also have TXT and WRI files created ... I use the TXT files on my Samsung phone, so I have a ready reference of all my books (and what I have read or need to read next), CD's, DVD's etc ... available at all times. My KindEbook Wishlist program also has a similar facility for updating my BOOKLIST.XLS file, but I decided just recently, that using AZWPlug instead, would be easier ... if a bit more of a manual process. If I buy a physical book instead of an ebook, it is manual in any case.

PLEASE IGNORE THE FOLLOWING RANT IF SUCH THINGS IRK YOU.

My Excel files were created long before I started using AutoIt, else I might not have bothered with Excel. Having bothered, and having created some quite complex and useful macros over the years, I still continue to prefer my Excel lists over anything I might conceivably  replace them with using AutoIt. I do however, still regularly get frustrated with the stupidities of those who created the Excel VBA Help system ... the way they describe things (or don't), bad search results, lack of examples and cross-referencing and the naming of functions, etc. If I hadn't invested so much over time, I would have given VBA And Excel up a long time ago, for much of it annoys me greatly ... especially as I have not done any courses and rely on memory an awful lot ... which inevitably means going through the same hurdles time and time gain, because my memory isn't perfect enough. If the VBA help file was designed along similar lines to the AutoIt one, then Logic could assist me, alas it isn't, so I engage in continual trial and error instead ... occasionally resulting in a swap to my Netbook and a web search.

Such is life for a backyard programmer who has never grasped the complexities of terms and theory, just practical application. I've learnt enough and retained enough to get by 99% of the time. With AutoIt, that is almost a breeze. With VBA (which I have been using a lot longer) it is always damn hard work, for they expect Rocket Scientist credentials and begrudge telling you most of the basics ... you should just know ... have done all 101 courses and be able to retain it all for instant recall. The VBA Help and Search are to be seen as bonuses only and not actual tools for regular use (or so they seem).

Here is an example of something I had to re-search for today, that I've done on the odd occasion before, but not enough to remember, and then I eventually gave up on and used a web search to get what I needed, because VBA Help file is pathetic. Two things actually ... Ubound (which had slipped my mind ... couldn't recall the word ... happens sometimes). I needed to use it with the VBA Split command to get the total number of elements. Was it mentioned anywhere obvious, like with Array or Split? Nope it wasn't. Then the worse one, which took far longer to find - IsNumeric. I could not recall that, and no amount of VBA Help file searches brought it to light. Only took a few minutes on the web to solve. Just basic commands that should be cross-referenced in many places in the VBA Help file, but aren't.

No doubt, part of the problem is how spoiled I have been by the logic and sense of the AutoIt help file, and function/command naming.

RANT OVER - And I have de-stressed ... better Out than In as they say. :P

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

AZWPlug updated to v2.5. See first post.

Added support for an ebook being stored in first sub-folder (file name derived) of the default 'My Kindle Content' folder on PC. Browsing to set default ebook folder, has been added to SETUP window, along with an Info report button. Minor bugfix for browsing.

KindEbook Wishlist updated to v4.7. See first post.

(v4.6) Most controls get disabled now during a Query, plus the same occurs during an 'Exchange Rate Query'. Plus if 'Please Wait' splash is disabled for Query, then a splash is no longer shown during an 'Exchange Rate Query', with that text shown instead in both the 'Please Wait' and 'Timer' labels, which are temporarily unhidden for that purpose. The Timer label can also be reshown if hidden by the new feature, by clicking the FIND label.

(v4.7) Mouse cursor now changes during Query and Ebook list loading etc, to indicate when busy working. Extended the 'Please Wait' label to loading & sorting the Ebooks list, which also applies to any other process that re-populates or changes number of list entries (ebook removal, changing user, relocating bought, etc). Those are all dependent on the "Use a flashing 'Please Wait' ..." setting being set. NOTE - This feature was added to this and the previous version, so that having a 'Please Wait' splash displayed on top of all windows, for a lengthy period perhaps, could be avoided, if desired.

Spoiler

userbar.png

AZWPlug updated to v2.6. See first post.

Added improvements & bugfix for changing the default folder for Kindle ebooks (some elements were not working if no longer in the standard default location in My Documents).

NOTE - I discovered the bug, when due to the now large size of my Kindle Content folder, I decided to move it to another partition drive. Most of the program worked as it should, but the Open Folder button on the main Database window, kept opening the original location ... no doubt a product of how the program was developed in bits and pieces (as ideas occurred), and somehow two variables & settings had been assigned for the ebooks location. I have not checked every aspect of the code, to see if there was a good reason for having two settings, so hopefully all will be fine (fingers crossed).

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, shaqan said:

how to change the Username? I typed random name at the beginning and now can't seem to find a way for fixing it.

Down the bottom of the Right-Click menu is a USERS menu entry, and at the bottom of that, is the RENAME option.

Spoiler

userbar.png