Delete String

I'm looking to delete string from point A to point B... For example:

"I want to go to store"

I would think I need 2 variables.

$sfind1 = want

$sfind2 = to.

Anything between $sfind1 and $sfind2 will be delete it.

I would think stringtrim left or right, but the problem I'm facing is, trim left/right does not have a point a or point b to trim from and to. It would be useful if a function was created to do this job if it doesn't already exist.

Msgbox(0, "Hate", "Just hate it when I post a question and find my own answer after a couple tries. But if I don't post the question, I can't seem to resolve it at all.")

Try stringmid()

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

don't think that is correct...

StringMid ( "string", start [, count = -1] )
There's no point b...
it can be used as
StringMid("I want to go to store", 3, 3)
this code would return 'wan'

The issue here is; it's not always going to be I want to go to store all the time. It will randomize any letters and alphabet later in the future.

Edited by asianqueen

Msgbox(0, "Hate", "Just hate it when I post a question and find my own answer after a couple tries. But if I don't post the question, I can't seem to resolve it at all.")

Local $sString = "I want to go to store"

Local $sDeleteString =  StringMid($sString, StringInStr($sString, 'want'), StringInStr($sString, 'to'))

MsgBox('','', StringReplace($sString, $sDeleteString, ''))

If you want the second occurrence of the word 'to' it would be:

Local $sDeleteString =  StringMid($sString, StringInStr($sString, 'want'), StringInStr($sString, 'to', 0, 2))

MsgBox('','', StringReplace($sString, $sDeleteString, ''))

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

The issue here is; it's not always going to be I want to go to store all the time. It will randomize any letters and alphabet later in the future.

Then a 'real' example is needed, because regular expressions can also do the job but they need precise requirements

MsgBox('','', StringRegExpReplace($sString, 'I\h\K(.*?)\hto\h', "") )
MsgBox('','', StringRegExpReplace($sString, 'I\h\K(.*)\hto\h', "") )

To make it easier identify, what about 

James's PC at //[start] St. Joseph with ID: 100275 Rm#c124 //[end] is not available.
replace after //[start] to before //[end] with nothing. So it should be 
Jame's PC at //[start] //[end] is not available

$sString = "James's PC at //[start] St. Joseph with ID: 100275 Rm#c124 //[end] is not available."

$sRepl = stringregexpreplace($sString , "\/\/\[start\].*\/\/\[end\]" , "")

msgbox(0, '' , $sRepl)

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

or this

$sString = "James's PC at //[start] St. Joseph with ID: 100275 Rm#c124 //[end] is not available."

msgbox(0, '' , _TrimFromAtoB($sString , "//[start]" , "//[end]"))

Func _TrimFromAtoB($string , $a , $b)
return stringleft($sString , stringinstr($sString , $a) - 1) & stringright($sString , stringlen($sString) - stringlen($b) - stringinstr($sString , $b))
EndFunc

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

$sRepl1 = stringregexpreplace($sString , "//\[start\]\h*\K.*(?=//\[end\])" , "")
msgbox(0, "" , $sRepl1)

$sRepl2 = stringregexpreplace($sString , "at\h*//\[start\].*//\[end\]" , "definitely")
msgbox(0, "" , $sRepl2)

:)
Is this example appropriate or do you want a generic way ?

sorry, I just got off from work on my 2nd job so I haven't tested. Will let you know how it goes after testing it.

EDIT: Instead of using $sString; can I just have it look inside the file itself?

i tried this with no success:

$sFile = fileread($dummies)
$sRepl1 = stringregexpreplace($sFile , "//\[offstart\]\h*\K.*(?=//\[offend\])" , "")
;filewrite($dummies, $sRep11)
msgbox(0, "" , $sRepl1)

what i mean by no success is; it didn't modify anything... It sees the texts, but didn't replace it with empty after [offstart] and before [offend]

@boththose - your trim a to b works, but trimmed the whole [offstart] to [offend]. I actually want to leave those two for reference finding string next time I need to add more data.

Edited by asianqueen

Hmm last try

$sRepl1 = stringregexpreplace($sFile , "(?s)(?<=//\[offstart\]).*?(?=//\[offend\])" , "")

perfect!

Thank you guys so much for helping. I was pretty frustrated on getting it to work the way I wanted.

This still looks like a little wheel reinvention (because some people worked hard to provide nice includes)  :D

#include <String.au3>

$sRepl1 = StringReplace($sString , _StringBetween($sString ,"//[start]", "//[end]")[0] , " ")
msgbox(0, "" , $sRepl1)

hehehee... i used wrong... yes I can... though I'm not sure how to delete anything in between

<!--

-->
I tried
$sRepl1 = stringregexpreplace($sFileRead , "(?s)(?=<!--).*?(?=-->)" , "" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "")

It seems to elminate the <!-- and the data inside it, leaving out -->. Which I wanted to keep the <!-- and -->; just wipe out data in between those two.

Edited by asianqueen