stackoverflow, AutoIt & Voting

I agree J1, and did unwittingly lump all of the discussed items together, so independently my opinions are:

I thought the vote discussion was dead since it modified the order of the posts...  

Chat would be cool if it was a searchable forum, but that would involve changing nothing.

'Mark as best answer' would be useful in its old capacity of copying that answer to the first spot, while still leaving it in place in the discussion.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

I'm not a big fan of Like or Voting in the context suggested.

However, I do like using Like to avoid creating a new post when you essentially agree with what was said by someone.

I believe it is an error to read too much into Like or any kind of Vote. Too easily prone to being misleading.

Like is worth having for the benefit I mentioned, and I wish it was available in PM's too.

Best Answer or Solution is a good idea.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Best answer was available in the old forum (before move to 4.XX)

I hope it will come back.

Another improvement will be that we can go directly to the next post unread, usefull when you want to read directly to th last unread.
I saw this function in a forum as www.winreducer.net.

• Administrators

I agree J1, and did unwittingly lump all of the discussed items together, so independently my opinions are:

I thought the vote discussion was dead since it modified the order of the posts...  

It's dead in terms of taking the current forums and turning the option On for them because they were ordered as discussions and would break. But there's no problem in leaving the current forums in a general discussion mode and creating a new support forum that is Q&A from the start.

I can see the code where there is an error where you can't remove your vote which I've reported and can probably fix myself in the short term.

Edited by Jon

I'm not a big fan of Like or Voting in the context suggested.

However, I do like using Like to avoid creating a new post when you essentially agree with what was said by someone.

I believe it is an error to read too much into Like or any kind of Vote. Too easily prone to being misleading.

Of course it's misleading because it's fundamentally broken. It's made up system in order to be more facebook alike (closer to the users). But it's implemented wrong. The problem is wrong usage of numbers, because counter counts overall number of likes per user and displays that number in profile. This would make sense and would give more objective view of the user only if there would be option to "dislike" the content. "Like" button likes content (post) and not user. For example if you look for top five "liked" users here you will see that few of them are trolls by definition plus one or two forum junkies.
Former rep system was user based, and numbers were more correct on per user level.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Liking a post adds 1 rep for the user too. I was happy with dislikes but people freaked out. :) 

Let me rephrase then. "Like" button, in essence, likes content (post) and not user. 

I would click like for the other part of your post. But I'm afraid you'd think I actually like you, and not what you wrote. :P

Edited by trancexx

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

That's very true.

There are times where I don't necessarily like a person, but do like the odd thing they say.

I also see Like as encouragement to say more things in that vein, and to show I'm forgiving or open minded, and prepared to believe that most people are inherently good, and can change given the right impetus. None of us are perfect.

Good things should always be encouraged, regardless of who says them.

As mothers are often want to say - If you don't have something positive to say, then don't say anything at all.
Using Like is like saying something nice and positive.

Dislike or No Voting is inherently negative, though undoubtedly useful at times.
Giving Yes or No votes, is inherently flawed because there is no judgment on the person doing the vote. It could be a moron or a bunch of morons, and so has no value, but others might mistakenly grant it value.

Like says you Like it, but gives no other judgment aside from that. You are not saying it is the best or perfect etc.

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Excellent read Bert, thanks for sharing.

I'm one of those who must have been living under the edge of a rock, as while I knew the name and possibly some of its purpose, I'd never really had it at the forefront of my mind as a place for me. That said, I may have got help there on one or two occasions in the dim and distant past.

Michael certainly makes a lot of interesting and excellent seeming points.

Spoiler

userbar.png

• Administrators

If I look up something on google I'll often find the answer there. But I've never felt the need to join - it's rare that you can't find an answer about a popular language just by looking these days.

If there is a way to create a strictly vote-based platform, I suppose it won't be better than all the stackexchange site. It is the optimum for such a vote-based system. Not saying anything about the idea of a vote-based system, but I doubt there is a better one then the SE network.

I will answer every single PM, and you are free to ask anything anytime.

One of the best ways to determine how good something may be, providing you have the option, is the number of downloads and positive feedback plus lack of complaints. But obviously hard to do with text based stuff, unless zipped up.

I thought that and wrote it, but I also thought how inadequate.

Feedback is not reliable, as most just don't bother.
You really want to read then and there and not bother with a download first.
Without feedback for each download, they become misleading.
More people bother to complain than bother to be positive ... just like you can do 9 good things, but the 10th if it is bad, will be the one remembered.

Just no easy answer I guess.

And then there is notion, that if you judge people by what others may think, you may actually miss out on making a good friend. That notion example transposes into other areas.

It is an imperfect multiverse without a doubt.

Spoiler

userbar.png