UTF8/UTF16 Testing

Jon

• Administrators

Looking at fixing the memory overflow in this report https://www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/ticket/2901

Found a few logic errors around creating blank/1 char files and BOMs - especially when opening, closing, reopening those files. They could ignore the user flags. I've made some changes that I'll test myself tomorrow but if anyone can test the attached exe beforehand that would be great.

Edited by Jon
Removed attachment - use 3.3.13.21 Beta

Maybe I'm missing something but when I run this exe, it then asks me for a script.  I choose a script and I get an error message which says:

#include <StringConstants.au3>

Error: Error opening the file.

I'm on Win 7 x64 with the latest AutoIt prod and beta.  What else you need? Or did I totally do this wrong?

Edit: just in case, here is the script:

#include <StringConstants.au3>

#include <Misc.au3>

Const $title = "Volume Mixer"

Switch _Singleton(@ScriptName, 1)
  Case 0
    WinClose($title)
    Exit
EndSwitch

Opt("WinDetectHiddenText", True)

_main()

Func _main()
  Local Const $volume_mixer_pid = Run("SndVol.exe")

Switch $volume_mixer_pid <> -1
    Case True
      WinWaitActive($title)

Local Const $default_width = WinGetPos($title)[2]

Local Const $control_threshold = 3      

Local $control_count = 0

While ProcessExists($volume_mixer_pid)        
        Switch _get_text($control_count)
          Case True
            $control_count += 1

Case False
            Switch $control_count >= $control_threshold
              Case True   
                _resize_window($default_width, $control_count, $control_threshold)                                

If @error Then 
                  Return SetError(1, 0, False)
                EndIf

$control_count = 0
            EndSwitch
        EndSwitch
      WEnd 
  EndSwitch
EndFunc

Func _resize_window(Const $default_width, Const $control_count, Const $control_threshold)                        
  Local Const $x = WinGetPos($title)

If @error Then 
    Return SetError(1, 0, False)
  EndIf

Local Const $new_width = $default_width + (($control_count - $control_threshold) * 110)    

Switch $new_width <= (@DesktopWidth - $x[0])
    Case True
      Switch WinMove($title, '', Default, Default, $new_width)
        Case 0
          Return SetError(2, 0, False)
      EndSwitch
  EndSwitch

Return False
EndFunc

Func _get_text(Const $control_count)
  Local Const $text = StringStripWS(WinGetText($title), ($STR_STRIPLEADING + $STR_STRIPTRAILING + $STR_STRIPSPACES))

Return StringInStr($text, "Volume for", 0, ($control_count + 1)) > 0
EndFunc

Edited by jaberwacky
script

Looking at fixing the memory overflow in this report https://www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/ticket/2901

Found a few logic errors around creating blank/1 char files and BOMs - especially when opening, closing, reopening those files. They could ignore the user flags. I've made some changes that I'll test myself tomorrow but if anyone can test the attached exe beforehand that would be great.

I'll check over the weekend (I am currently very busy working)

Already checked - results in track ticket.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• Administrators

Your script works fine for me even on the last beta. I see the text with the correct accents in it in each MsgBox and it's in UTF8. You did save the script in UTF8 didn't you - rather than codepage?

Edited by Jon

Your script works fine for me even on the last beta. I see the text with the correct accents in it in each MsgBox and it's in UTF8. You did save the script in UTF8 didn't you - rather than codepage?

Yes

I used one of UTF8 encoding in my Au3 scirpt file

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

• Administrators

Can anyone else reproduce the issue with this script?

#include <FileConstants.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

_Test()

Func _Test()
    Local $sFileFullPath = @ScriptDir & '\test_file_encoding.txt'

; FileWrite with $FO_UTF8_NOBOM
    _FileWrite_StringContent($sFileFullPath, 'poniedziałek, wtorek, środa, czwartek, piątek, sobota, niedziela')

; FileRead with FileGetEncoding()
    Local $sResult = _FileRead_StringContent($sFileFullPath)
    MsgBox(0, '$sResult', $sResult)

; FileRead - simply with out : FileOpen + FileClose
    Local $sResult2 = FileRead($sFileFullPath)
    MsgBox(0, '$sResult2', $sResult2)

EndFunc   ;==>_Test

Func _FileWrite_StringContent($sFileFullPath, $sContent)
    Local $hFile = FileOpen($sFileFullPath, $FO_OVERWRITE + $FO_CREATEPATH + $FO_UTF8_NOBOM)
    FileWrite($hFile, $sContent)
    FileClose($hFile)
EndFunc   ;==>_FileWrite_StringContent

Func _FileRead_StringContent($sFileFullPath)
    ConsoleWrite(FileGetEncoding($sFileFullPath) & @CRLF)
    Local $hFile = FileOpen($sFileFullPath, $FO_READ + FileGetEncoding($sFileFullPath))
    Local $sContent = FileRead($hFile)
    FileClose($hFile)
    if IsBinary($sContent) then
        ConsoleWrite('IsBinary -- converting to string')
        $sContent = BinaryToString($sContent,1 )
    EndIf
    Return $sContent
EndFunc   ;==>_FileRead_StringContent

Can anyone else reproduce the issue with this script?

One remarks:
using AutoIt 3.3.13.20 and
AutoIt3.exe from OP 

and with script encoded in UTF8

I attach this script  test_UTF.au3.

EDIT:

I just notice there is new Beta version 3.3.13.21

@Jon please precise how you exactly want to test (which Au3 version ? )

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

using 3.3.13.21 works correctly

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

btw.

using this:

ConsoleWrite('poniedziałek, wtorek, środa, czwartek, piątek, sobota, niedziela' & @CRLF)

I get in console this:

poniedziaԥk, wtorek, ݲoda, czwartek, piڴek, sobota, niedziela
+>14:19:55 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>14:19:55 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 0.5069

is this issue related to Au3 or SciTE Console ?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

That's a console issue. Not unique to SciTe, but ConsoleWrite can't output utf8.

It is not clear to me.

so I ask in this way:

Is the repair this problem is within your possibilities ?
If so, could I ask you to repair this ?
I think it's one of the last problems that are now in support for UTF, I mean in use AutoIt3 + SciTE4AutoIt (recently was many changes made in Au3Stripper and Au3Check)

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

mLipok,

Place these two line in SciTEUser.properties

code.page=65001
output.code.page=65001

(to be honest I don't remember which one applies to the SciTE console, but anyway). Then use this version to display UTF8:

; Unicode-aware ConsoleWrite
Func __ConsoleWrite($s)
    ConsoleWrite(BinaryToString(StringToBinary($s, 4), 1))
EndFunc   ;==>__ConsoleWrite

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

code.page=65001
output.code.page=65001

I was used this before

but this is

; Unicode-aware ConsoleWrite
Func __ConsoleWrite($s)
    ConsoleWrite(BinaryToString(StringToBinary($s, 4), 1))
EndFunc   ;==>__ConsoleWrite

el perfecto

Edit:

Still I wondering if AutoIt can not detect the fact that the script is encoded in UTF and accordingly immediately change this string ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

You're being confused by the situation here.

Whatever source file encoding you use, the (native) AutoIt strings are encoded in UCS2-LE (look at it as if it was UTF16-LE) which uses only one 16-bit encoding unit per Unicode character. The corresponding type in DllStruct is wstr, the type that Windows uses for Unicode-aware applications.

Now let's look at ConsoleWrite. The allowable encodings for consoles are all "multibytes", that is either your Windows charset (aka ANSI even if this is a seriously bending of the "norms") or UTF8, but always using bytes as encoding units: ANSI uses 1 byte = 1 ANSI char while UTF8 uses 1-4 bytes = 1 Unicode char.

Anyway, to be able to display sensible strings to the console, you have to make a match between the encoding used for the strings to be displayed and the encoding that the console expects. By default, ConsoleWrite converts native (UTF16-LE Unicode) AutoIt strings to ANSI (the expected charset by consoles) but as you've seen you can make the console interpret strings in UTF8 by setting the charset to 65001. What _ConsoleWrite does is convert native AutoIt strings to UTF8 and this way everything works well.

I'm one tenant that every part in AutoIt tool chain should work in Unicode only, but to answer your last question, there is no "detection" by AutoIt, just historical conversions.

Edited by jchd
Typos, sorry!

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Thanks for such a broad explanation.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler