SOLVED! How to disable Ctrl Alt Del

Hey there,

Probably you know about the many questions on this forum, how to disable Ctrl-Alt-Del. I searched the whole forum bot there was not only one answer that worked. But now i found a way on my own hot to prevent that. And btw I have to say that this if f*cking easy, so shame on you :) You can try it, it works sure on windows 7 and vista. I also included a hotkey function to exit, but it takes up to 10 seconds until you can access the ctrl alt del screen again. Please tell me if you found out a better way and tell me what is your meaning about my script. Thank you :)

-snip-

Edit: This is the hard way, and i just wanted to show how it could be done. I am confused, no one before me mentioned this script

Edited by Jos
removed code

you didnt disable Ctrl-Alt-Del, and it is not fire and forget.   Not displaying the security or login options when you press Ctrl-Alt-Del will eventually cause a hard stop and a warning telling you this behavior is occuring.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

you didnt disable Ctrl-Alt-Del, and it is not fire and forget.   Not displaying the security or login options when you press Ctrl-Alt-Del will eventually cause a hard stop and a warning telling you this behavior is occuring.

First of all i just answered many questions that were on the forum, and the second thing is that disabling ctrl alt del can also be useful. Why should i get a warning? I have never said that i am going to use that for a virus

Edited by ManneMoses

Why should i get a warning? I have never said that i am going to use taht for a virus

not here :doh:  

Windows will throw an error dialog that says some stuff like "Could not display login and security options when ctrl-alt-del was pressed please hold down the power button if this continues".

Edited by boththose

Out of curiosity what is it useful for exactly?

I am asking myself the same thing. It was "cool" (I think) to do this back in the early days of scripting on the likes of XP, but now it's 2015, in which acts such as this, are just idiotic.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

If the thought is to stop a user from locking/logging off/rebooting while you're running a script, there are much easier ways of doing this. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is malicious, but it is definitely pointless.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

not here :doh:  

Windows will throw an error dialog that says some stuff like "Could not display login and security options when ctrl-alt-del was pressed please hold down the power button if this continues".

Sorry if i didn't understand you, that is because i am german, so don't wonder about my bad english. I know the warning problem, this is only if you do not have any other options. It is weird that the message only pops up on some computers, e.g. not on mine

Out of curiosity what is it useful for exactly?

I only posted this script because there were so many questions about that topic. Search for "disable ctrl alt del" and you'll find many questions. That is the answer to all of it :D

All that aside, it never once crossed your mind to post in the examples section? Obvious I know, but support questions are here and working examples are there. Everything else fits in either Chat or Dev Chat.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

It is a straight timeout. execute that script, hit ctrl-alt-del, and wait roughly 30 seconds.  This is most certainly not an answer for people wishing to block or reassign the ctrl-alt-del key combination if windows has a built in defense.

Edited by boththose

i imagine you are just waiting for a timeout or threshold that has multiple factors.  Pretty reliably I can execute your script, hit ctrl-alt-del, wait a few seconds, repeat, and i never get further than a third time before windows alerts me of the issue.

But the thing is, that you cannot access the ctrl alt del screen, and that is the only sense of my script. Not more

sorry for the edits that dont match your quote, i determined it was a straight timeout.

Your title and your assertion that this solution answers 'many questions on the forum', do not match with simply denying access to the ctrl-alt-del screen.  And even then the only thing this script does causes Windows to pause explorer.exe and pop an alert for the user against an alarming black background. 

Edited by boththose

• Jos locked this topic