Tray Icon - TraySetIcon doesn't work after creating custom tray menu

Hi All,

I have a custom icon for the tray menu icon, which was working until I copied in the example code for a custom menu when clicking on the tray icon, now it just displays the default AutoIt tray icon. The menu works fine, but the tray icon initiates as the AutoIt default icon and the icon won't change on event.

Can anyone advise what I need to do to use my custom icon while retaining the tray custom menu?

Thanks!

Also, the While 1 ... WEnd makes me nervous, how does this not lock up the system? If anyone would like to comment on that - thanks.

Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3)
#include <TrayConstants.au3>

Local $idAbout = TrayCreateItem("About")
Local $idExit = TrayCreateItem("Exit")

TraySetState($TRAY_ICONSTATE_SHOW)

While 1
    Switch TrayGetMsg()
        Case $idAbout
            MsgBox(1,"test","test msg")
        Case $idExit
            Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd

If Not FileExists (@TempDir & "\MyIcons") Then DirCreate(@TempDir & "\MyIcons")
FileInstall(".\Grey-1.ico", @TempDir & "\MyIcons\Grey-1.ico", 1)
FileInstall(".\Yellow-1.ico", @TempDir & "\MyIcons\Yellow-1.ico", 1)
TraySetIcon(@TempDir & "\MyIcons\Grey-1.ico");Change icon to grey initially
; If X happens then change tray icon to yellow
; If Y happens then change tray icon to grey

Tray Icon and Menu.jpg

Edited by WoodGrain
Additional secondary question. Added screenshot.

Put the TraySetIcon() code before the while loop as it's never reached.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Aha! That makes sense (rookie error), thank you guinness.

Ok, here's my next question then, I have a While loop that cycles every 2 seconds later in the script and repeats the same code indefinitely (obviously having 2 indefinite loops in 1 script is never going to work), so if I move the switch code into this While loop (instead of its own dedicated loop I had before) nothing seems to happen when I open the menu and click on "About" or "Exit". Is there a way of responding to these tray menu events?

So now it looks like the below, the icons are now working correctly and the custom menu pops up, but clicking on "About" or "Exit" in the menu does nothing but close the menu:

Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3)

If Not FileExists (@TempDir & "\MyIcons") Then DirCreate(@TempDir & "\MyIcons")
FileInstall(".\Grey-1.ico", @TempDir & "\MyIcons\Grey-1.ico", 1)
FileInstall(".\Yellow-1.ico", @TempDir & "\MyIcons\Yellow-1.ico", 1)
TraySetIcon(@TempDir & "\MyIcons\Grey-1.ico");Change icon to grey initially

While 1

; This contains all of the script code that needs to execute every 2 seconds
    ; If X happens then TraySetIcon(@TempDir & "\MyIcons\Yellow-1.ico").. and other code..
    ; ElseIf Y happens then TraySetIcon(@TempDir & "\MyIcons\Grey-1.ico").. and other code..
    ; Else Z happens then don't change the icon from the current state.. and other code..
    ; EndIf
    Sleep(2000)

Switch TrayGetMsg()
        Case $idAbout
            MsgBox(1,"test","test msg")
        Case $idExit
            Exit
    EndSwitch

WEnd

Remove the sleep 2000 and re-check the examples.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Use Sleep(250) at the end of the while loop OR look at using a tray event handler

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Sleep(250) has a weird delay, takes a random number of seconds for the msgbox to show up or the program to exit (timed a few attempts, some were 2 or 3 seconds, the longest was 17 seconds!) . I tried Sleep(100) and it had a delay of about 1 second. It wouldn't take very long to execute the code I currently have in the loop, it's pretty basic at this stage so I don't think that's causing the issue.

I'll have a look for tray event handlers, looks like the way to go, I've seen in the documentation "TraySetOnEvent", am I heading in the right direction?

I see no issues with this on my machine

#include <TrayConstants.au3>; Includes always at the top!

Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3)

While True
    Switch TrayGetMsg()
        Case $idAbout
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "You select the about item")

Case $idExit
            ExitLoop ; I dislike Exit inside a loop, as with ExitLoop you can clean up resources when the loop ends

Case Else
            Sleep(50)

EndSwitch

WEnd

; Clean up resources, if required

UDF List:

Thanks, I'll check that out. I also found this in the in the doco too which looks good, thanks for the reference to event handlers :) :

#NoTrayIcon
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3) ; The default tray menu items will not be shown and items are not checked when selected. These are options 1 and 2 for TrayMenuMode.
Opt("TrayOnEventMode", 1) ; Enable TrayOnEventMode.

Example()

Func Example()
    TrayCreateItem("About")
    TrayItemSetOnEvent(-1, "About")

TrayCreateItem("") ; Create a separator line.

TrayCreateItem("Exit")
    TrayItemSetOnEvent(-1, "ExitScript")

TraySetOnEvent($TRAY_EVENT_PRIMARYDOUBLE, "About") ; Display the About MsgBox when the tray icon is double clicked on with the primary mouse button.

TraySetState($TRAY_ICONSTATE_SHOW) ; Show the tray menu.

While 1
        Sleep(2000) ; An idle loop.
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Func About()
    ; Display a message box about the AutoIt version and installation path of the AutoIt executable.
    MsgBox(0,"test","my message") ; Find the folder of a full path.
EndFunc   ;==>About

Func ExitScript()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>ExitScript

I also found this in the in the doco too which looks good, thanks for the reference to event handlers

Thanks. I wrote the example or should I say re-wrote 

UDF List:

No problem. Good luck.

UDF List:

• 11 months later...

Hey guys,

how do i proceed if i wanted to add these trayicons to my project?
Do i create a new function and load it? (results in my script not working anymore)
Do i paste it directly into my script? (results in exit beeing created with no function)

Sorry for the noobquestion.. spent hours trying to figure it out and didnt succeed

Edited by Mentis