[SOLVED] Am I using $WS_EX_MDICHILD correctly?

I've noticed that when I create a GUI and supply $WS_EX_MDICHILD in the extended style parameter the child window doesn't seem to behave correctly even though it is an extended style.  The coordinates are off.  However, if I supply it to the style parameter then it seems to work fine.  Lastly, the child window doesn't seem to move with its parent window regardless of whether or not I use it as a style or extended style.

Am I using this parameter right?

I have this reproducer:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Version=B
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Parameters=-w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w 7 -d

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Const $parent_width  = 400
Const $parent_height = 300
Const $parent_left   = (@DesktopWidth  / 2) - ($parent_width  / 2)
Const $parent_top    = (@DesktopHeight / 2) - ($parent_height / 2)

Global $h_parent = GUICreate("Parent", $parent_width, $parent_height, $parent_left, $parent_top)

Const $child_width  = 200
Const $child_left   = ($parent_left - $child_width) - 15

Global $h_child = GUICreate("Child", $child_width, 150, $child_left, $parent_top, $WS_EX_MDICHILD, -1) ; $WS_EX_CHILD in the style parameter seems to be fine

;Global $h_child = GUICreate("Child", $child_width, 150, $child_left, $parent_top, -1, $WS_EX_MDICHILD, $h_parent) ; $WS_EX_MDICHILD in the extended style parameter is weird

GUISetState(@SW_SHOWNORMAL, $h_parent)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOWNORMAL, $h_child)

Do
    ; naught
Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

Edit: I've already asked for this to be moved to the proper forum.  Thanks!

Edited by jaberwacky

The $WS_EX_MDICHILD is an extended style not a style. Not sure what your example should behave.

As stated in the doc is not a real extended style but a simulation extended style. the commented line is working as it should.

Does this help?

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$hgui= GUICreate("Parent", 629, 437, 320, 200)
guisetstate()

$childGUI = GUICreate("", 230, 120, 45, 45, $DS_MODALFRAME, $WS_EX_MDICHILD, $hgui)
guisetstate()

Do
    $msg= guigetmsg()

until $msg= -3

Sorted it out from here: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/110485-child-gui-inside-parent-gui/

Edited by Xandy
Changed code to reflect Chatbox dialog

When I use this line:

Global $h_child = GUICreate("Child", $child_width, 150, $child_left, $parent_top, $WS_EX_MDICHILD, -1, $h_parent)

I get a child window that is placed properly.   The child window does not have the minimize, maximize, and close buttons.  The child window also does not have an icon.  This is what I want.  The problem is that the child window does not move with the parent window.

However, if I use this line:

Global $h_child = GUICreate("Child", $child_width, 150, $child_left, $parent_top, -1, $WS_EX_MDICHILD, $h_parent)

The child will move with the parent window which is what I want  However, the child window will have an icon.  It will have minimize, maximize & close buttons.  The child window will not be placed on the screen where I want to be placed.

Edited by jaberwacky

I can't help but think $WS_EX_MDICHILD (from the first line) should go in the EX_STYLE parameter field am I missing something?

I'm not saying that will do what you want it to do, but you seem to be using the value in the wrong parameter slot, Idk.

Edited by Xandy

Ok, I see this: "When using $WS_EX_MDICHILD the position is relative to client area of the parent window."

Sorry for the noise.

Edit:

That's something that should probably be in the comment for the extended styles.  I wouldn't have (and clearly didn't) think to look in the remarks section for GuiCreate

Edited by jaberwacky

Afaik, if you use $WS_EX_MDICHILD and provide a valid parent gui handle the coordinates of the child gui will be relative to the parent gui (more or less).

E.g. Global $h_child = GUICreate("Child",  $child_width, 150, 0, 0, ...) should be on position 0, 0 on the parent window but it isn't - it is somewhere on the client pos.

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

You're right.  I glossed over it in the helpfile.  It's my fault totally. 

What did we learn? The help file isn't all that bad =)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

K, I use the helpfile and think it's great.  But Sometimes I come across somethings that throw me for a loop.  I really should report them as I come across them though.

I really should report them as I come across them though.

Everyone should. I am fortunate that I can just edit when I find a mistake. But with 200+ documents, it's a little hard to check with just 3 people (based on top contributors to the AutoIt repository) in the team. If ever active member checked 10 pages, then the help file would be pretty awesome.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

So long as you check the issue in the current beta version of the help file, those pipes will never be clogged. All I will say is just post to the bug tracker, as sometimes issues get lost here. =)

UDF List:

In 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...BLAST OFF!

UDF List: