How do you write comments in your source code? With a full-stop or without?

I know the topic is pretty dumb, but am curious as to how people structure their comments in regards to appending a full-stop or not?

From the beginning of my AutoIt "career" I used to write comments like...

; This is a simple comment.

But since moving onto other languages I have adopted the style of not appending a full-stop at the end of a comment line.

; This is a simple comment

Why? Well I think it looks pretty and saves me typing one more character which is never a bad thing.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Thanks @JohnOne, fixed it.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

WUT?  Don't ever let me catch you remarking without punctuation!

Outragious.

$start_x = ($x - $player.iBoard_world_x) * $tile_w;       (oo)
$start_y = ($y - $player.iBoard_world_y) * $tile_h;      J UU L-====E
$end_w = (($w - $player.iBoard_world_x) + 1) * $tile_w;   {¥}
$end_h = (($h - $player.iBoard_world_y) + 1) * $tile_h;  _| |_

I still prefer to use the style of your first example with a space after the comment start characters and a full stop after the sentence. I use the full stop because that's the sort of guy I am, and the fact that I that I tend to use blocks of comment, to describe the what the code is intended to do, which may consist of several sentences.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

OK, cool.

Good point, I never do this either:

;Simple comment in AutoIt
//Simple comment in C#

UDF List:

I like to do certain things in my comments, but I hardly ever do them consistently. 

I make a distinction between documentation comments and code disabling comments.

I like to put a space after the semicolon and append a full stop to my documentation comments.  I don't put a space after the semicolon when I'm temporarily disabling code.

Programming is hard enough as it is without meticulously watching your grammar in comments. They should be a quick way to show your thoughts as you were writing the code.

Why you're confused is that sometimes you do documentation of your code in comments. In C#, you can create neat summaries at the start of your function. You nearly always write those once the function prototype is complete and stable and you need to take your time to write it proper. Then you should also watch grammar.

I tend to use complete sentences in my comments, including the appropriate punctuation.  So, periods show up at the end.

; Now for something completely different.
; Even though the last line (and this one too) are not complete sentences.

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

Bit of both for me i think

Prob more on the full stop than the other side

I write quite detailed ones as my memory is shocking :(

Edited by Chimaera

How complex is your code? Something like this, I would write maybe one comment, as the variables and structure are pretty easy to understand.

Local $sFile = 'ChromeEx.exe'

; Check if a filename is supported
Local $aSupportedFiles = ['Chrome.exe', 'Firefox.exe']
Local $bIsValidExe = False
For $i = 0 To UBound($aSupportedFiles) - 1
    If $sFile == $aSupportedFiles[$i] Then
        $bIsValidExe = True
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

ConsoleWrite($bIsValidExe & @CRLF)

UDF List:

• Moderators

For me (and I would guess for most others) it depends on the audience. If I am writing something just for me, a one line comment like guinness has above would suffice to jog my memory. If it is something I am handing off, not only will I comment heavily (usually with full stops), but I will often break the script up using #Region. I just wrote a script for a customer to uninstall a product, and cleanup files/folders/and registry entries for all users. That one looks a lot like so:

#Region=====================File System Variables============================
    ;Heavily Commented Code
#EndRegion==================File System Variables============================

#Region======================Registry Variables==============================
    ;Heavily Commented Code
#EndRegion===================Registry Variables==============================

#Region========================================File System================================================================
    #Region=============================remove user profile folders====================================================
        ;Heavily Commented Code
    #EndRegion=========================remove user profile folders======================================================

#Region=============================remove system folders using dFOLDER array=======================================
        ;Heavily Commented Code
    #EndRegion==========================remove system folders using dFOLDER array=======================================

#Region=============================remove single files using dFILE array===========================================
        ;Heavily Commented Code
    #EndRegion==========================remove single files using dFILE array===========================================
#EndRegion=========================================File System=============================================================

#Region==============================================Registry==============================================================

#Region==========================================HKCR Keys===========================================================
        ;Heavily Commented Code
    #EndRegion=======================================HKCR Keys===========================================================

#Region==========================================HKLM Keys===========================================================
        ;Heavily Commented Code
    #EndRegion=======================================HKLM Keys===========================================================

#Region==========================================HKLM Values=========================================================
        ;Heavily Commented Code
    #EndRegion=======================================HKLM Values=========================================================

#Region===========================================HKCU Keys==========================================================
        ;Heavily Commented Code
    #EndRegion=======================================HKCU Keys===========================================================
#EndRegion===========================================Registry==============================================================

Folding isn't exactly commenting, I know, and probably overkill, but I would rather that than someone calling six months later complaining I wasn't clear.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Hi,

commenting code is one of my "vices". But i NEVER thought about to use a fullstop (at the end of a single line...)B)

Code must be "readable", including the comments. So i wrote a little script to align those comments, After pressing F4-key in Scite, the code looks (at least) good...  

This script could be expanded to put fullstops behind each Comment (or to erase them....)o:)

Edited by AndyG

Of course when developing with other people, the level of comments is increased tenfold. I should have been clear that I was talking about comments in code you write for your eyes only and not in a team.

Edited by guinness
Fixed typos

UDF List:

I should have been clear that I was talking about comments in code you write for your eyes only.

Is there a difference between your eyes and mines?

Maybe after some years an application controlled by my (your) script is changed by an update. The script contains ...pfff.. 500 to 1000 lines. You have to look at the code and have to adapt it too. Do you think after some years there is a difference if you need to adjust this script, or I?

I don´t think so. I sometimes have to debug code written by other programmers. The time to debug/change code depends on the quality of the comments and their (visual) reference to the code.

For me (and I would guess for most others) it depends on the audience. If I am writing something just for me, a one line comment like guinness has above would suffice to jog my memory. 

Lucky guys.^^

I am too old. For my brain it is better to jog with other things...

Is there a difference between your eyes and mines?

I fixed a couple of typos in that last post. I would say so, as I have different style than you do. This is why we kind of have standards, so it's not such a huge learning curve for everybody.

UDF List:

This how i do it to answer your question

Local $aSupportedFiles = ['Chrome.exe', 'Firefox.exe'] ; Files to search for
Local $bIsValidExe = False ; specify as a negative
For $i = 0 To UBound($aSupportedFiles) - 1 ; cycle through reducing, less 1 for the unbound
    If $sFile == $aSupportedFiles[$i] Then ; if file exists then
        $bIsValidExe = True ; set as true
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

ConsoleWrite($bIsValidExe & @CRLF)

Ive just roughed this as its not my code but you get the idea.

I wish i didnt have a shocking memory but thats life ..

If i dont notate in  a months time i cant remember what the hell it was doing :) , prob why i ask so many questions lol

Edited by Chimaera

I would like to add my 2 cent:

Local $aSupportedFiles = ['Chrome.exe', 'Firefox.exe'] ; Files to search for
Local $iLastFileIndex = UBound($aSupportedFiles) - 1 ; check for last index in array
Local $bIsValidExe = False ; initialization - specify as a negative
For $iFile = 0 To $iLastFileIndex ; cycle through reducing, less 1 for the unbound
    If $sFile == $aSupportedFiles[$iFile] Then ; if file exists then
        $bIsValidExe = True ; set as true
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

ConsoleWrite('$bIsValidExe = ' & $bIsValidExe & @CRLF)

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

I only heavily comment code if what I'm writing can't be figured out by the average coder. I may put a small snippet of comments in the code if it's for myself. Generally, if you need to over comment your code so you're able to follow it 6 months later, you're writing bad code. As for punctuation in the comments, I may put them if I think of it, otherwise who really cares if you put a period at the end of it?

Edited by BrewManNH
typo

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator