Windows 10 release 29th of July

jvanegmond

I will probably install it on a VM early on (could not get insider preview to work on virtualbox) but will be a while before I make the upgrade on computer proper if I wind up liking it.

I am a little bit excited to be honest, I was for 7 and 8 too, one of which delivered.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I am genuinely looking forward to it. Windows 7 right through to 8.1 has surpassed all my expectations, plus looking forward to VS2015 =)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

I have been bombarded already to get Windows 10 up and running in the VDI environment at one customer, because they want to test all of their external-facing web apps against it. It will actually be awesome to get the official release; keeping up with the builds as they come out, and ensuring they're available through View, has been a pain in the butt.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I installed Insider Preview a long time ago on second partition, and I think I'll stay in the Insider Program and get builds from there instead of updating my Windows 8.1.

Other than the Edge browser sucking for compatibility, or should I say that websites suck for adhering to the standards and don't work with Edge, I like Windows 10. Harder than hell to find things on the "start" menu.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

I find it hilarious that, 9 days before official release, Amazon is already promoting the Windows 10 For Dummies series. With as many changes as they've gone through in the builds, doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that the material will be accurate.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

Other than the Edge browser sucking for compatibility, or should I say that websites suck for adhering to the standards and don't work with Edge, I like Windows 10. Harder than hell to find things on the "start" menu.

I thought microsoft were moving away from that crap and embracing the internet rather than trying to force the internet to embrace it.

At least that is what they were claiming in one article I read.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

• Moderators

I read an article from Mary Jo Foley (well-known tech blogger that concentrates on Redmond happenings) that stated IE would be there for some time for backwards compatibility, but that would be it. The article was back early in the year, however, so things may have changed drastically.

Edit: Bugger, that is the second time a picture has been added to my post...

Edited by JLogan3o13

The main question for me is Microsoft encouraging everyone to upgrade freely from seven and 8.1 to win10.

A lot of things can go wrong, upgrading a OS is not so trivial and  a lot of old legacy programs (and also new !) can stop working properly, for me  (working also in a helpdesk) it can be a "day after" worse than  the year 2000 (no problems for that far year i remember...).

We blocked by policy upgrading windows pc in the domain, but we have a lot of machines "into the wild" .... 

Btw, I think microsoft can take the boomerang in the face....

I have installed various win10 insider, with no problems, I like it, but If I think at some machines, like the win7 pc of my mechanic with that very old invoice program.... 

Edited by t0nZ

• Moderators

@t0nZ, it is definitely something to consider. There are some other threads going about the forum where we discuss our process for backup/imaging before upgrading our test labs; some good suggestions to be had.

Regarding work at the Helpdesk, you are right about a potential nightmare for day after support. Hopefully your Desktop/System Engineer team will be following a proper rollout process rather than blasting it out too quickly. Depending on what you're using to manage your PCs, you should be able to limit the trouble even your road warriors or those "in the wild" can get themselves into.

If I have win 7 installed but I don't have an internet connection, how do I upgrade to windows 10?

Assume any questions you might have about how I got other updates or using someone elses connection have already been answered.

Will a free upgrade be possible?

I'm going to install it as soon as I can. I expect my computer to pretty much literally fly with DX12 ;) (Intel i7 3930K & GeForce GTX 970)

I have 5 computers, I'm probably only updating 2 of them to Windows 10 for now to see how it works on those. One of them being my main computer that I use for everyday types of things at home. I am making an image of the computer before upgrading it just to be on the safe side, and I still have my XP mode VHD for anything that I find that is incompatible with W10, which so far I haven't found anything that doesn't work but I haven't been doing extensive testing yet.

I don't think there will be much of an issue upgrading my ancient Win7 machine, but you just never know.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I find it hilarious that, 9 days before official release, Amazon is already promoting the Windows 10 For Dummies series. With as many changes as they've gone through in the builds, doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that the material will be accurate.

There won't be much changes, or any at all after this last fbl Build. No more upgrades in the future, only updates (which contrary to popular belief, still can be disabled), I just wish MS would force everyone to Windows 10. There are no compatibility issues whatsoever, except when you are using software from WinXP days, but in that case you have been doing something wrong for years...

I will answer every single PM, and you are free to ask anything anytime.

If I have win 7 installed but I don't have an internet connection, how do I upgrade to windows 10?

Assume any questions you might have about how I got other updates or using someone elses connection have already been answered.

Will a free upgrade be possible?

Media will be available i guess but look how long it took before we could get the Win 8 Media (The proper stuff), so it may take a while.

trouble is you only have one year for the choice..

I will have 5 machines in the shop to do straight away and then a load of customer requests.

But i still maintain for now if your machine is older than 3-4 years maybe not worth the hassle. We shall see.

• Moderators

@minxomat, regardless - do you have any idea how long it takes to get a book published? It isn't as if the composition was completed last week after the last build and then released to the general public. Even on a fast track with the publisher, it takes months. How much has changed in the last, say, 6 months. My point was simply that the information contained will either be very high level or inaccurate.

Edited by JLogan3o13

Yes, I actually do have an Idea how much time this takes. Almost none. The script is thrown together from old material, adapted (there are not much changes from Win8) and quickly proofread. Book on Demand publishers push the book (and ebook) to Amazon, Nobles, national libraries etc, before the first batch is even printed. Then the major publisher takes over once it is profitable to switch from JIT or small batches to greater ones. Been there, done that.

Edit: For Dummies generally contains very abstract information, which makes the changes even less big of a deal.

Edited by minxomat

I will answer every single PM, and you are free to ask anything anytime.