Introductory learn to program text using Au3

Jfish

Good news.
You can be sure I'll keep an eye on this project.

Thanks.

mLipok

@mLipok - I started the effort to convert the text to rtf for non-image based code this weekend.  I need to take another pass through the text to make sure I got it all and I need to automate the samples in the appendix somehow (probably script them with send or SendSciTE_Command if the latter has a way to export, not sure yet have not studied it).  I will keep you posted.

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

Hello jfish,

Congratulations on a job done extremely well. I first came across AutoIt about 3 days after I bought this computer - the only previous experience I had with programming was with a mighty monster called a "VIC-20". I would have loved to have something like this when I started with AutoIt. I agree completely with your position that something more is needed for those who are just starting out. I can also add the simple fact that it doesn't hurt to have a straight forward reference around for people like myself who don't always remember the finer points. I'm just starting a new project with AutoIt and I'm looking forward to having your work handy. Once again jfish - Well Done!

JAPP

@Jfish On page no. 9 ...One of the nice things about AutoIt is that it is a "looser" language... I recommend you to replace "looser" with "less stricter" so that non-english speakers don't end up thinking that they are learning a looser language because he/she is a looser :P

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

Also, why not insert code snippets directly into word instead of attachments?

TD :)

@TheDcoder - Read the string above.  I started doing that with the newest revisions (started last weekend but am not done yet).  To answer your question as to why I did not do it before, you will see I was previously unaware of the Scite export.   I am currently doing it on the code that is written as plain text - not the images for now.  All the source code is in the appendix and companion file so hopefully the images don't hurt anything.  On the other hand, the code in the plain text looks a lot better as Scite generated.

EDIT: I did not see "copy as RTF"  before.  I was using export and had written a script to automate it but copy is easier.  I see you inserting an object - but I was able to just paste it with regular paste.

Edited by Jfish

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

@Jos Is there any way to add lua script and add any hotkey to discussed above "Copy as RTF" ?

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• Developers

@Jos Is there any way to add lua script and add any hotkey to discussed above "Copy as RTF" ?

If the question is whether you can add your own custom shortcut to do a "Copy as RTF" then the answer is yes:
Just add it to the "user.shortcuts" config parameter.
Example:

user.shortcuts=\
Ctrl+r|IDM_SAVEASRTF|\
Ctrl+Shift+V|IDM_PASTEANDDOWN|\
Ctrl+PageUp|IDM_PREVFILE|\
Ctrl+PageDown|IDM_NEXTFILE|\
Ctrl+Alt+f|IDM_TOGGLE_FOLDALL|\
Ctrl+Alt+x|IDM_TOGGLE_FOLDRECURSIVE|\
Ctrl+F1|IDM_HELP_SCITE|

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Thanks Jos.

This show me the way , and now I can say that I was thinking about IDM_COPYASRTF 

As I see this is in "SciTEGlobal.properties" file. 

And I added this

Ctrl+Alt+r|IDM_COPYASRTF|\

Complete after modyfication:

# User defined key commands
user.shortcuts=\
Ctrl+Alt+r|IDM_COPYASRTF|\
Ctrl+Shift+V|IDM_PASTEANDDOWN|\
Ctrl+PageUp|IDM_PREVFILE|\
Ctrl+PageDown|IDM_NEXTFILE|\
KeypadPlus|IDM_EXPAND|\
KeypadMinus|IDM_BLOCK_COMMENT|\
Ctrl+F1|IDM_HELP_SCITE|

SciTE4AutoIt Restart.....

and now select

1. Script Snippet
2. press Ctrl+Alt+r
3. paste content to MS Word.

magic ..... ;)

mLipok

Edited by mLipok
typos.....

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

@Jfish On page no. 9 ...One of the nice things about AutoIt is that it is a "looser" language... I recommend you to replace "looser" with "less stricter" so that non-english speakers don't end up thinking that they are learning a looser language because he/she is a looser :P

You're thinking of the word loser not looser, looser means less firmly or tightly fixed in place. Similar spellings, vastly different meanings.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Glad I could help. :)

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• 1 year later...

@Jfish When you back to editing your book please consider to mention about this vote/poll:

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 2 months later...

Thank you Jayme!

I am a Dragon NaturallySpeaking ( speech recognition) user.

I find that the AutoIT program language has similarities with Dragon scripting (VBA). Like many others I browsed the web for more information about this program language.

Having no mathematical background whatsoever, not much programming experience too. Things like variables, constants, dim etc. never seemed to make much sense ( although I read about it in various scripts), now finally start making sense.

You've managed to make these things accessible. That's an accomplishment!

Rob.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Congratulations for a good job!

I started learning AutoIt pretty long time ago as a hobbey project after retirement and I am still learning it. With no prior experience in coding, learning it alone was not and is not an easy task. I wish I had this book when I started.  Now I see some beginners struggling with basic concepts and, just to help those begginers whose English is not fluent either, I'm thinking of translating this book into Korean. There is a Korean AutoIt Forum where I want to upload the translation when done. I know I will learn a lot, too, through translating it.

Now I'd like to know if you would kindly allow me to translate your book and upload it in the Korean forum. If there is anythisng I should know before taking on the venture, please let me know. I hope I can do it without giving it up in the middle and keeping the superb quality of the original book.

Thanks and regards,

C. Y. Cho

Edited by CYCho

@CYCho Really glad you are enjoying the book.  I am fine with your translating it to Korean.  I would only ask for attribution as the original author and then perhaps something like "as translated by" for your efforts.  So it could read "Learn to Program With Free Tools Using Autoit by Jfish as translated by CYCho".  Does that sound okay?

6 minutes ago, Jfish said:

So it could read "Learn to Program With Free Tools Using Autoit by Jfish as translated by CYCho".  Does that sound okay?

Absolutely! And please bear with me if I come up with any question or suggestion during the translation process. I only hope that I can finish it successfully. For your information, I once ran Google translation tool on your book and I decided it was not usable.

Thanks and regards,

CY Cho

• 1 month later...

@Jfish,

My translation is almost done, and I uploaded my draft onto the Korean AutoIt cafe for proofreading. Thank you for your permission for translation. I must admit that I liked the way you present the core concepts of AutoIt and I learned a lot by translating it. I hope that my translation will not damage the authenticity and reputation of your book.

Attached is the image of the cover page where I stated your name as the author and my name as the translator. Please note that I also kept the footnote for every page where your copyright information is stated.

Thanks and regards,

CYCho

무료 도구 AutoIt을 사용하여 프로그래밍 배우기_1.png

Edited by CYCho