File Encoding problem

I have created few ini files.

When I start to use Au3.3.14.0 then all file operations change behavior as it was described in SCRIPT BREAKING CHANGE.

Maybe there is something that I did not understand or forgot, I do not know.
But it is at the moment is not important to me.

It was bring me to a problem and I am looking for how to solve it.

this INI should contain such a 

07=inne pisma|I - Inne|Inne pismo|???;wniosek o rozstrzygnięcie 

but acutally this contain something like this:

07=inne pisma|I - Inne|Inne pismo|???;wniosek o rozstrzygniĂ„â„Ëcie

So I want to ask:

What happend ?
What I miss ?
Is there any way or what I can do now to convert it back to correct format ?

Thanks for any help.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

This looks like UTF8. Note that when std INI functions don't translate native UTF16 AutoIt strings into UTF8 by themselves (maybe they should do that by now ???), so you have to convert by yourself before writing and after reading.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

INI files are not Unicode compatible, that's because they were created back before Unicode was the standard in Windows.

If you want to use an ini file with Unicode encoding, first create an .ini file by using the FileOpen() function with the mode parameter set to a Unicode parameter.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

This works out of the box:

Local $sSection = "section_αβγδεζηθ"
Local $sKey = "key_ЖЗИЙЛЦЩ"

IniWrite("test.ini", _StringToUtf8($sSection), _StringToUtf8($sKey), _StringToUtf8("value_ℂℍℕℙℚℝℤ"))
Local $sValue = _Utf8ToString(IniRead("test.ini", _StringToUtf8($sSection), _StringToUtf8($sKey), "Failure"))
MsgBox(0, "", "Section = " & $sSection & @LF & "Key = " & $sKey & @LF & "Value = " & $sValue)

Func _StringToUtf8($sIn)
    Return(BinaryToString(StringToBinary($sIn, 4), 1))
EndFunc

Func _Utf8ToString($sIn)
    Return(BinaryToString(StringToBinary($sIn, 1), 4))
EndFunc

... as long as the INI file is not meant to be read/written by non UTF8-aware programs.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Seems like a lot of code when all you need to do is this:

#include <fileconstants.au3>
Local $sSection = "section_αβγδεζηθ"
Local $sKey = "key_ЖЗИЙЛЦЩ"
FileClose(FileOpen("test.ini", $FO_UTF16_LE + $FO_OVERWRITE)) ; all the magic is done here
IniWrite("test.ini", $sSection, $sKey, "value_ℂℍℕℙℚℝℤ")
Local $sValue = IniRead("test.ini", $sSection, $sKey, "Failure")
MsgBox(0, "", "Section = " & $sSection & @LF & "Key = " & $sKey & @LF & "Value = " & $sValue)

to get it to write in the INI file as Unicode, once the file is created using UTF16 little endian, you never have to worry about it again. BTW, you have to use $FO_UTF16_LE (or $FO_UNICODE) to encode the INI file or it won't work. IniRead and IniWrite can be used normally because the file is encoded correctly already

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Ha, so then the INI functions are now UTF-aware as long as a BOM is there. This is relatively recent unless I missed something. I misread your previous post as if one needed to parse the UTF16-le file pedestrianly.

It's something I came across while researching INI file encoding, it's mentioned in the help file now, although not in enough detail. The UTF16 LE part isn't mentioned in the help file. If you try it with any other Unicode format other than UTF16 LE the ini file becomes corrupted when you use the INI functions.

Thanks for your answers

Here is whats going on:

_Example1()

Func _Example1()
    FileDelete('test.ini')
    IniWrite('test.ini','Test1','1','Piorko')
    MsgBox(0, '1', FileGetEncoding('test.ini'))

IniWrite('test.ini','Test1','2','Piórko')
    MsgBox(0, '2', FileGetEncoding('test.ini'))
    MsgBox(0, '2', IniRead('test.ini','Test1','2',''))

Local $sConntent = FileRead('test.ini')
    FileDelete('test.ini')
    FileWrite('test.ini',$sConntent)

MsgBox(0, '3', FileGetEncoding('test.ini'))
    MsgBox(0, '3', IniRead('test.ini','Test1','2',''))

MsgBox(0, '4', FileRead('test.ini'))

EndFunc

EDIT:

I notice that I use some text parsing on this INI file, and this cause the problem.
This snippet shows when this happend.

Edited by mLipok
typo in function name

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Hi,

What BrewmanNH explained is that you just need to create the file as UTF16-LE, like this:

_Example1()

Func _Example1()
    FileDelete('test.ini')
    Local $h = FileOpen('test.ini', 2 + 1024)   ; <--- here
    FileWrite($h, @CRLF)                        ; you need to write something
    FileClose($h)
    MsgBox(0, '0', FileGetEncoding('test.ini')) ; 1024 = UTF16-LE

IniWrite('test.ini','Test1','3','αβγδεζηθ')
    IniWrite('test.ini','Test1','4','ЖЗИЙЛЦЩ')
    MsgBox(0, '3', FileRead('test.ini'))
EndFunc

If you ever delete the file, you must recreate it as UTF16-LE again. Then both *INI functions, FileRead* and FileWrite* don't need extra steps to correctly handle it.

Thanks
In the meantime I myself have choosen $FO_ANSI 

Is it wrong , decision ?
I saw this @BrewManNH answer

It's something I came across while researching INI file encoding, it's mentioned in the help file now, although not in enough detail. The UTF16 LE part isn't mentioned in the help file. If you try it with any other Unicode format other than UTF16 LE the ini file becomes corrupted when you use the INI functions.

But could you show any example what wrong could happen when any body use $FO_ANSI instead $FO_UTF16_LE_NOBOM 

?

Then this thread will be regarded as complementary to describe this problem.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

If you use ANSI, then you must use my previous example with functions to convert between AutoIt UTF16 strings and UTF8 when section names, keys and/or values use non ANSI characters. Also as you know, ANSI is not portable accross machines using distinct locales while UTF8 is. UTF8 is essentially undistiguishable from ANSI, so UTF8 values work.

BrewManNH insisted on Unicode: "If you try it with any other Unicode format other than UTF16 LE the ini file becomes corrupted when you use the INI functions." ANSI isn't an Unicode format.

To see how things get bad, run this modified version of the same example as above:

_Example1()

Func _Example1()
    FileDelete('test.ini')
;~  Local $h = FileOpen('test.ini', 2 + 1024)   ; <--- here
;~  FileWrite($h, @CRLF)                        ; you need to write something
;~  FileClose($h)
    MsgBox(0, '0', FileGetEncoding('test.ini')) ; 1024 = UTF16-LE

MsgBox(0, '3', FileRead('test.ini'))
EndFunc

Also try uncommenting the 3 lines and change 1024 into 256 (UTF8) or 2048 (UTF16_BE) to see what happens.

Thanks @jchd and @BrewManNH

Now all is clear. In my case 512 was ok as I do not need to use all others char sets , but for compatibility and confidence that everything will always OK, it's better I'll use the suggested 1024.

btw.
to use this examples there is need to set in your SciTEGlobal.properties, for example: code.page=65001

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I am surprised it worked even before v3.3.14.0, as I have know about ini files only reading unicode when encoded before hand, for something like 4 years. 

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

even @guinness learned something new today ;)

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

to use this examples there is need to set in your SciTEGlobal.properties, for example: code.page=65001

This applies only to the SciTe console and to output Unicode correctly one also nees a modified version of ConsoleWrite to feed it UTF8 strings:

; Unicode-aware ConsoleWrite
Func __ConsoleWrite($s)
    ConsoleWrite(BinaryToString(StringToBinary($s, 4), 1))
EndFunc   ;==>__ConsoleWrite

For console is:

output.code.page=65001

and 

code.page=65001

is for main SciTE panel.

Actually , as I see, if it is not set to 65001 then I'm unable to copy this

to script in SciTE.

So it is imposible to use it in SciTE.

If I'm wrong , please correct me.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

To be able to copy this in the editor pane of SciTe you need to switch the source file encoding to UTF8: File > Encoding > UTF8